just2good

Minifigures Character Encyclopedia 2013

I guess this finally confirms series 10 (unless there has already been official confirmation I am unaware of). Funny thing is, the note on the cover page could be misinterpreted as the book containing the actual 160 minifigs. It's awesome to see this theme grow as it has. :cry_happy: I love my 128 CMF collection, and I can't believe we have got this far! I'm probably not getting the book, since I hate buying books that are quickly rendered incomplete, but it does certainly seem like a neat book, and I can't help but wonder what the exclusive fig is. However, given the disappointment with the VIP sets of minifigs, I'm not keeping my hopes up too high for the fig, at least for the moment.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

From the sample pages, it looks like it confirms that S9 and S10 will NOT contain a:

• fisherman
  • snowboarder
  • skier

Of course, no guarantee they won't throw in a girl skate boarder to balance out the existing three.

minifigcharacter4.jpg

Frankly, those pages look so bland and uninteresting, similar but worse than the little blurb you find on the cardboard backing of a G.I.Joe action figure. I may only get it if the included minifigure is fantastic. Perhaps something silly like an early minifigure... in solid gold. :)

6a00e54efed408883401348.jpg

Edited by badbob001

In the front cover I saw two Series 8 minifigures one is the Alien Villainess and the other one is Red Cheerleader (a.k.a The Laughing Cheerleader).

And the Red Cheerleader scares me in that book.

Edited by JeagerEX

Sounds interesting, my addicion for CMF will dicatate that I will need to pick this up (and the exclusive minifig will help make my mind up too)

I can't wait to see the exclusive figure. I think the book will be interesting to look at, but out of the figures I don't have I don't have them for a reason. I'm not sure how much I'll want to look at them in picture form, but I will end up getting the book anyway. And that Yoda Chronicles book looks neat (with another exclusive figure).

Darn it, why do the SW books have the CW figures on them? No no no no no no no!!!

DK Readers books covers seems to be preliminary to me.

Since the author is listed as "A. N. Author"? Definitely.

Since the author is listed as "A. N. Author"? Definitely.

Whew, what a relief. I do hope they end up changing that. That being said, I'm probably not getting those two books anyways, so I'm guessing there's absolutely no reason for me to feel distressed. :tongue:

I absolutely love the DK Lego books so this is a must for me! I love flicking through with my kids and enjoying the artwork. It does mean that I'll pine for all the minifigs that I've missed though - I've only just started to grab a few for my town.

Strange how it's "Build An Exclusive Minifigure" which suggests it'll be parts.

Some of the DK books do it that way. The recent Ninjago book with the Green Kimono Ninja was a build it yourself type. The fig came disassembled in a round compartment. I think they do it that way when the included fig has accessories or unusual parts such as the pauldrons on the ninja. I think it also helps keep the secret. By making it a build it yourself fig they don't have to worry as much about the shape of it cut into the cover.

I had a feeling DK would make a book for CMF after all the previous releases. (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Batman, Ninjago,) I'm curious to see what the exclusive minifig will be.

It looks like the "bio" for each figure is almost an exact copy or an abbreviation of the bio info on the LEGO website. I guess these books are getting easier and easier to put together.

It looks like the "bio" for each figure is almost an exact copy or an abbreviation of the bio info on the LEGO website. I guess these books are getting easier and easier to put together.

Same principle as their re-use of printed pieces. Lego has already paid someone to write the web bio's, why pay again? Lego *loves* to recycle :sceptic:

Shame they couldn't expand and show the design process of each figure.

Same principle as their re-use of printed pieces. Lego has already paid someone to write the web bio's, why pay again? Lego *loves* to recycle :sceptic:

Shame they couldn't expand and show the design process of each figure.

It would be incredible if they could do that, but unfortunately, there's hardly precendet for that sort of thing in books of this kind. Essentially what this book is, as with the other character encyclopedias, is a fancified collectors' guide. DK publishes these for other companies too-- I've seen one of characters from Disney's Cars with a focus on the die-cast toy cars.

Meanwhile, I don't know how many series this book will cover, but if it has through Series 9, then that's already 144 pages of content, not counting section divisions, a table of contents, or other supplementary pages. Since these books have had 144-208 pages in the past, a page count like that is already bumping up against that lower margin. And that's with the assumption it won't feature more than Series 1-9, which isn't certain (Series 10 is due for an April release, so it's not impossible that they'll plan this book to feature all the series that are out at the time of publication, just as was done with the LEGO Ninjago Character Encyclopedia). Overall, there might not be much room to have more than one page per minifigure.

Meanwhile, I don't know how many series this book will cover, but if it has through Series 9, then that's already 144 pages of content

The book cover snapshot says "includes more than 160 minifigures" so I'm thinking it covers at least the first 10 series but may also have the 9 team GB olympians.

That would be 169 pages for one minifigure per page ratio, although maybe the TeamGB (if included at all) is presented on a more compact layout.

Of course the bundled exclusive minifigure might have its own page as well...

Putting the minifig into parts might make it a little more difficult for someone to pinch the minifig from the bookshop?

Putting the minifig into parts might make it a little more difficult for someone to pinch the minifig from the bookshop?

It also means that the casing for the minifig doesn't have to be specially formed to fit them. This is especially important if the fig would be wearing something on their back, like the Lloyd fig in the Ninjago book or the speculated tin soldier in this book.

Nope. As a bookstore employee I can assure you this does absolutely nothing to deter theft.