Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Petraea University: Professor leStrange's Lighthouse Keeping Class

This was not what I really had in mind for the university contest but it sort of built itself as I was trying to figure out a use for the yellow hexagon plates. So here is my attempt at a humorous entry:

Baronne leStrange (not to be confused with the more famous Duc leStrange who strongly insists that the two absolutely are not related in any way) used to be the archeology professor at Petraea University.

One day as he and his students were finishing excavating a great rock on campus, he lost his footing at the edge of the crater they had dug and tumbled headlong to the base of the rock. Surprisingly, he seemed to suffer no more injuries than a few bruises even though he was a bit dazed for a few minutes. However ever since the fall, he no longer has any interest in archeology but instead has devoted himself full time to the teaching of lighthouse keeping. When asked why the sudden change, the proffessor replies that when he fell into the excavation, he saw a “bright light” and then had a vision that the coast of Kaliphlin was large with many stretches of craggy coastline, yet it had too few lighthouse keepers to warn the ships on dark and stormy nights.

He has now converted the rock where he had his “vision” into a lighthouse and offers an intense three month class in lighthouse keeping so that Kaliphlin may have enough lighthouse keepers to man every last mile of craggy coastline.

EDIT: Thanks to suggestions I have changed a few details and so these first two pics are with the changes:

SAM_00812.jpg

SAM_0083.jpg

And now the originals:

SAM_0197.jpg

SAM_0198.jpg

SAM_0195.jpg

At first I was going to have an open back but then I decided to "finish" the MOC and put on an opening back.

SAM_0199.jpg

The students must keep the light lit 24/7 and take turns sleeping in shifts. They also must practise climbing rope ladders and rickety staircases.

SAM_0201.jpg

This MOC has a lighting function but as this is my first time to try and photograph, the lighting effect didn't show too well.

SAM_0204.jpg

Edit: Changed the window panes and added photo of back.

SAM_0222.jpg

SAM_0218.jpg

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

Wonderful build and story! Great use of the yellow panels and the opening back is perfect :thumbup: Excellent fauna as well :classic:

Very creative idea, though I'm not sure I quite got how it ties into the universtiy (except, I guess it is a professor/class). Nice rock work anyways, I like the beacon/lighthouse on top as well! :thumbup:

This is pretty cool! I like the rope ladder, never seen the droid arms used like that before; the horizontal LURP (Little Ugly Rock Piece?); and the half timber structure coming out of the rock is a fun idea. I do think the yellow window in that section could really use some red shutters, and maybe a different color for the panes.

Who would have thought that Lighthouse Keeping would be a class at a University? But in all seriousness, who at all in Historica has a light house on there coastal lands? Burrium, although not ocean-coastal, has five four beacons along the east river of Avalonia, facing Darwynia. Their flames are big enough to be light the way.

This class must be required, especially with all the traders from Varlyrio making their way east, especially when they ride through the Mystic Isles! This build (and the story) will save future lives! Well done MK, well done.

Great MOC! The rock work is done very well, and the element is very interesting and well done as well. Lots of interesting details.

Andy D

Wonderful build and story! Great use of the yellow panels and the opening back is perfect :thumbup: Excellent fauna as well :classic:

Thanks soccerkid6!

Very creative idea, though I'm not sure I quite got how it ties into the universtiy (except, I guess it is a professor/class). Nice rock work anyways, I like the beacon/lighthouse on top as well! :thumbup:

Thanks and perhaps the reason why you don't quite get how it ties into the university is that it wasn't built with the university in mind. I just started building with the conical tower piece first and added elements along the way until it became what it is. Then I was trying to figure out why such a strange building would even be in existence and robuko's Duc leStrange gave me some inspiration. I then was reminded that the university build was expiring soon so I came up with the story (which I thought was quite humorous myself) imagining this crater in the middle of the university campus with this rock and lighthouse sticking out, then added the students to complete it. It may not be conventional but I think it fits well enough as it adds a bit of uniqueness and humor to the university.

This is pretty cool! I like the rope ladder, never seen the droid arms used like that before; the horizontal LURP (Little Ugly Rock Piece?); and the half timber structure coming out of the rock is a fun idea. I do think the yellow window in that section could really use some red shutters, and maybe a different color for the panes.

Thanks and also thanks for the suggestion! I do not have any red shutters but I did try using the only other panes I have available. (new pic in first post) I also tried other color frames but it didn't look quite right.

Who would have thought that Lighthouse Keeping would be a class at a University? But in all seriousness, who at all in Historica has a light house on there coastal lands? Burrium, although not ocean-coastal, has five four beacons along the east river of Avalonia, facing Darwynia. Their flames are big enough to be light the way.

This class must be required, especially with all the traders from Varlyrio making their way east, especially when they ride through the Mystic Isles! This build (and the story) will save future lives! Well done MK, well done.

Thanks! Let the lighthouse building now begin.... :wink: In fact I've been thinking about a lighthouse design for some time now.

Great MOC! The rock work is done very well, and the element is very interesting and well done as well. Lots of interesting details.

Andy D

Thank you!

... imagining this crater in the middle of the university campus with this rock and lighthouse sticking out, then added the students to complete it. It may not be conventional but I think it fits well enough as it adds a bit of uniqueness and humor to the university.

OK, that's what I didn't get, I didn't realize that it was suposed to be actually in the University (I though for some reason it was supposed to be somewhere on the coast). :look::wall: Makes perfect sense now!

Thanks! Let the lighthouse building now begin.... :wink: In fact I've been thinking about a lighthouse design for some time now.

Contest?

Wonderfully executed, and I agree about the change in the shutters. I think there should be a Historica wide lighthouse build. Not as a set contest, but more like the embassy builds. Maybe an open voting for a badge of some kind.

I believe the word you are looking for is flora. :blush::grin: If so, you're right. That cactus is a great design. I may have to try a re-color version for an upcoming vig. I am also supreeeeeemly jealous of your volume of classic palm tree trunk pieces.

I believe the word you are looking for is flora. :blush::grin: If so, you're right. That cactus is a great design. I may have to try a re-color version for an upcoming vig. I am also supreeeeeemly jealous of your volume of classic palm tree trunk pieces.

Ah right you are :laugh:

I'll be building a Mitgardian lighthouse in December, I've been meaning to for awhile just haven't got around to it yet :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

I really like the building built into the rock! Ha a very classic castle touch to it which I like! That cactus is a great little detail!

Ooh, I have some of those yellow pieces. Never been able to use them. But you've put them to great use!

Edited by Skyrimguy

Those window panes look much better now :thumbup: , I would suggest a 4x1 (or whatever, depends on how big the yellow one you already have there is) strip underneath the window to tie the color in more though. :wink:

Those window panes look much better now :thumbup: , I would suggest a 4x1 (or whatever, depends on how big the yellow one you already have there is) strip underneath the window to tie the color in more though. :wink:

Actually, taking a second look, the yellow 1x4 plate under the window should have gone over the window. That would balance the color thickness. That is the only criticism I can make. The white panes tie the window in with the other decorative elements.

Contest?

Well, I was thinking more on the lines of free builds but a contest would be cool.

I really like the building built into the rock! Ha a very classic castle touch to it which I like! That cactus is a great little detail!

Thanks de Gothia!

But you've put them to great use!

Thanks!

Actually, taking a second look, the yellow 1x4 plate under the window should have gone over the window. That would balance the color thickness. That is the only criticism I can make. The white panes tie the window in with the other decorative elements.

Thanks for the ideas! If only the window was 1/3 stud shorter... :hmpf_bad: Then I could put a black crossbeam across. But I will try a white or red 1x4 plate or moving the plate to the top of the window and let you know how it turns out.

Really nice :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like how you put frontage in the rocks :wink:

The leStranges really are an illustrious family, aren't they? For some reason I get a very Moominvalley feel about this. I really like the idea and the build, it's great that you have been able to incorporate those classic castle pieces, the closed back looks great, and as always your sand and vegetation are first class. I imagine this being a rather popular course.

:classic:

I've updated the first post with the latest changes I made.

Really nice :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks!

The leStranges really are an illustrious family, aren't they? For some reason I get a very Moominvalley feel about this. I really like the idea and the build, it's great that you have been able to incorporate those classic castle pieces, the closed back looks great, and as always your sand and vegetation are first class. I imagine this being a rather popular course.

:classic:

The leStranges! :laugh: I still would like to hear a backstory on them... I never read the Moominvalley books so not sure but if they are similar to Dr Seuss I agree as this is more of a fairytale build. Glad you liked it.

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

I've updated the first post with the latest changes I made.

Looks great! There's no need to listen to our every word (if you listen to everybody you won't get anything done!) but a few flowers on the sill would look nice... they'd make it stand out more.... (don't listen to me, though... :tongue: )

(don't listen to me, though... :tongue: )

Don't worry, I'm not going to listen to you on this one... :tongue: This build is now officially finished. :laugh:

Great story, and character incorporation. I really like the cactus and the spiral stair. Nice build!

First off, the build is really really well done!

The rock looks fantastic, and the folding features is really nice.

But where it's the story and the concept that totally win me over.

Lighthouse keeping class ? :roflmao:

Great story, and character incorporation. I really like the cactus and the spiral stair. Nice build!

First off, the build is really really well done!

The rock looks fantastic, and the folding features is really nice.

But where it's the story and the concept that totally win me over.

Lighthouse keeping class ? :roflmao:

Glad you guys liked it! I went back and looked at the first tower I posted here and I'm thinking that in another year or so I will see so many things here that I could have improved. :laugh: