On a scale of 1 to 5  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

I just saw the designer video on this set and the designer seemed to literate a different story compared to the actual scene in the movie.

I never seen any orcs use any sort of catapult at the dwarves, maybe it is in the book though... :sceptic:

The trees looked okay in my opinion.

I agree with Lynx, I guess they should have made a Azog instead.

I wish there would be another set with Yazneg chasing the Brown wizard on the plains.

I love those Rhombostel Rabbits :wub:

I wish there would be another set with Yazneg chasing the Brown wizard on the plains.

I love those Rhombostel Rabbits :wub:

That bunny sled HAS to be made into LEGO. I'd prefer, however, to get Rhosgobel (Radagast's home) instead of the orcs.

Radagast's home would be nice too :laugh:

The hedgehogs were cute as well :grin:

I can imagine a set loaded with lots of accessories and wizardry stuff... :classic:

Radagast's home would be nice too :laugh:

The hedgehogs were cute as well :grin:

I can imagine a set loaded with lots of accessories and wizardry stuff... :classic:

Lets not forget, Lego now has a cute and adorable hedgehog mold. Ripe for Wizzardly molesting. Granted its over in the friends line, so it might be a touch too cute, but what can you do?

Edited by Faefrost

I just saw the designer video on this set and the designer seemed to literate a different story compared to the actual scene in the movie.

I never seen any orcs use any sort of catapult at the dwarves, maybe it is in the book though... :sceptic:

Catapults are just one of those things Lego designers like to bolt on to add play features. They show up everywhere regardless of accuracy to the movies the scenes come from. To toss figures, rocks, snowballs, spells, whatever. In this case they are just a play feature by which the Orcs can play attack the Dwarves, while the Dwarves can drop the burning trans clear pine cones. Don't read too much into it.

As far as the scene the Lego designer described. Remember they did not get to see the actual movie any sooner than the rest of us. They had some probably very limited movie production materials to work with. The scene he plays out (minus the catapult) is pretty much the book version of the scene.

SPOILER if you haven't watched the movie, yet!!!!

I think you are confusing Yazneg with Azog, the pale orc. Yazneg was leading the initial pursuit of the dwarves when they were distracted by Radagast. Yazneg was killed by Azog on Weathertop. I agree that this set is a very poor representation of the scene. While I can forgive the wrong choice of the orc leader and the blue flames (presumably this was based on the info available to TLC at the time of design and the book, respectively), the tree looks nothing like it does in the movie or the book. I'd have preferred three slender trees with a collapsable play function to the turnable pile of brown bricks present in the set.

POSSIBLE SPOLIERS !!!

^ Oooh okay haha looks like I did confuse the 2. I just assumed there was ONE named orc. Then why did they give him the white warg?? And what is he even doing in this set as he's not in that scene??

Edited by yys4u

I would agree that this is one of the poorer Hobbit sets released, with Riddles for the Ring barely beating it out as the worst (and that's to be expected due to the low price point and limited nature of the smallest set). With that said I still don't think it's a bad set by any means, and I think it's really unfair to knock it simply because it isn't exactly like the movie scene. If this were normal circumstances I too would be disappointed it doesn't mimic the film more closely, but I think it's extremely apparent that Lego had limited information available to them when they made the set and they did the best they could. It doesn't help either the series went from two to three movies and as a result I am sure a lot of stuff was cut, added, and switched around to accommodate.

Like Faefrost points out, this set is pretty much identical to the book version. The fires being lit by the orcs under the tree, the blue flames, etc. It also makes sense, from a book perspective, that Azog was not present in this set...

Azog isn't even alive during the course of the book, he is killed some time before the story begins by Dain. Azog did kill Thorin's grandfather, Thror (as well as Dain's father Nain), but he is already dead by the time the Hobbit story unfolds. This is a HUGE change by Peter Jackson for the film. Azog is an important part of both the book and film as he is basically the catalyst for the Battle of the Five Armies. However, it makes sense Lego didn't include him in the Warg Attack set as he may not of even been originally planned to be there. I am guessing Lego was given some art/preliminary images that showed Yazneg on the Warg and decided to include him as they thought he had a much bigger role.

Now, with all of that said I do think the Yazneg figure is probably one of the worse looking minifigures in the entire LotR/Hobbit line. The tree is much too fat and bulky compared to the trees the dwarves climbed in the film. I also would of loved had they treated this more like an army builder set and had a smaller skinnier tree, a gray and brown Warg instead of white one, 2-3 Orcs, no named dwarves, and an eagle or two all for around $30-40. Of course if Lego had done this I am not sure we would of ever seen the white Warg in another set, and I dunno if they would of been able to squeeze all 13 dwarves into this wave so I understand Lego's reasoning. I am guessing we got a fatter bulkier tree due to it being sturdier and offering more play features than a tall skinny one would of had. I can only imagine a skinny Lego tree like in the film breaking left and right when younger kids try to play with them and causing a ton of frustration. I think all of this is important to take into consideration before blasting Lego for not making the set totally accurate to the movie.

Edited by Deathleech

I also remember reading an earlier report where the actor who plays Yazneg was originally cast to play Azog, but that changed at the last minute. For all we know, this set could have been accurate in some earlier version of the script.