WesternOutlaw

TRAIN TECH Help, General Questions & Talk to the Staff

Excellent guys, thanks for the info. I'll try and run the extra motor on the front engine first and see how that goes. Just as a matter of interest, why did you add the switch in?

Excellent guys, thanks for the info. I'll try and run the extra motor on the front engine first and see how that goes. Just as a matter of interest, why did you add the switch in?

When you add the second motor, both will be connected to the receiver the same way, hence they will have the same polarity. The easiest way to attach the motors underneath the train is in opposite directions (because otherwise the wire isn't long enough and with an extension it is likely to foul the train baseplate). The result is they run in opposite directions and the train goes no-where. The switch allows you to reverse the polarity of one motor so they then run in the same direction.

Edited by peterab

Am I mistaken, or is it possible to add a third (central/middle) pair of wheels to the current PF train motor? It looks as though the center hole is just an ordinary Technic hole.. I can't tell from images on the internet and I'd like to know before counting on it as a design feature.

You're mistaken. Unfortunately the hole is larger than a normal technic one and won't hold a pin. There are a few fudged methods for getting a wheel to sit there (requires modifying parts) if you dig around the forum a bit, but nothing you can easily rely on.

You're mistaken. Unfortunately the hole is larger than a normal technic one and won't hold a pin. There are a few fudged methods for getting a wheel to sit there (requires modifying parts) if you dig around the forum a bit, but nothing you can easily rely on.

Thanks for the prompt answer! That's unfortunate - back to the drawing board, then.

Hey guys, I have a question for you- Having never owned any of the older train sets, will sets such as 4558 Metroliner and 7740 Inter-City Passenger Train run on the later P/F track?

Many thanks,

Shane

Hey guys, I have a question for you- Having never owned any of the older train sets, will sets such as 4558 Metroliner and 7740 Inter-City Passenger Train run on the later P/F track?

They're the right size to fit on new P/F track, but out of the box expect to get power from the old-style metal rails. Assuming you can find somewhere to hide a PF battery box and receiver it should however be possible to modify them to run using the newer tech instead (the old 9V motor is exactly the same size as the newer P/F train motor, which helps somewhat)

Does anybody know on what real life train the locomotive from set 4565 is based on?

4565-1.jpg

I love this set. It makes me feel I'm in a dirty, segregated, industrial part of a large city, which I think Lego pulled off very well.

Edited by TheBrickster
Moved topic to General Train Questions

Can anybody give me a short tutorial how to make a basic train overpass with 9v track without it losing current?

I get that I'm supposed to have only a 1 plate height difference between each end of each track, but beyond that, I'm inexperienced.

Can anybody give me a short tutorial how to make a basic train overpass with 9v track without it losing current?

I get that I'm supposed to have only a 1 plate height difference between each end of each track, but beyond that, I'm inexperienced.

Check out this topic on bridges and inclines http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34893

Hello,

yesterday I got a cheap set 7740. Unfortunately some stickers are missing. Now I'am trying to get the missing ones. Here I have some questions:

Are the 7740 stickers in the middle of the trainbase connected to the DB-Logo or are these two stickers on both side?

The sticker-sheets of the set 7745 are much cheaper than of the set 7740. My question is are the DB-Logo sticker (without the number on the two cars) and the destination signs identical on both sets or are there different sizes?

My last question is about the "Speisewagen" sticker. I cant find them on bricklink or elswhere. Does anybody knows where to get these or should I post in the trading forum?

I hope anybody could help me.

Thanks and greetings

Andreas

Edited by TheBrickster
Topic moved to our question topic.

As far as I can tell the railway logo and the 7740 numbering are one sticker.7740stk01.jpg

The Speisewagen stickers can be found on this sheet above the green 2's

The white DB stickers seem to be the same size on the sheet of 7745

7745stk01.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by Pet-Lego

Hello,

@ Pet-Lego: Thanks for your post. It opened my eyes. The white DB sticker are a little bit smaller than the black DB sticker because they are for the front of the train.

Poorly I have to find a new way to get the missing stickers.

Greetings

Andreas

My son is a big train fan, and just starting to get into Lego. I'm thinking I'd like to get back into Lego Trains myself so we can play together. My only experience is with the older 9V trains, how easy are the power function motors to operate and install. I'd like to get the Horizon Express to start and get some track and the motors separately, just based on how beautiful it is. Is this a good place to start? Or is there a better option? The complexity of the build is not an issue as i've been building for the better part of 20 years, I just want to be able to get him something that he"ll be able to play with on Christmas. Long story short, I know nothing about power functions and want more info. If this is the wrong place for this please let me know. Also, if too vague let me know.

@tomdobs55 if you are shopping for a child who is just getting into lego, I'd suggest starting with one of the city train sets. They are self contained with everything you need (PF & track) and have a little more play factor going for them than the AFOL trains (no PF, no track). Then plan on getting 2x HE for your own birthday (grin). In any event, the stated HE release date is Jan 13, so don't count on it being available sooner (it could happen if they run out of stock on other items, but...).

If you just gotta have one of the AFOL trains, the Maserk train is still available at the moment and it should have some play factor. You'll need track (curves are cheapest on bricklink, straights are expensive everywhere, or you might want to consider enlighten track as a cheaper alternative). The PF components will be another $50-$100, so between the track and PF, you've come close to paying for the cheapest city train. If you are testing the waters, I'd suggest you get the AAA box and hold off getting the rechargible battery until you know it is worth the $75 investment to you.

In either case, the PF is pretty easy to work with and all three of the current city trains seem to be pretty good.

And keep in mind, if you want something to play with on Christmas, Horizon Express is not available until January. You might get lucky and get it early, but I wouldn't count on it. I agree with Zepyhyr that, in this case, a complete basic set is a good starting point.

Hello all, I have a quick question for you guys. I'm not a purist or anything, so would the Enlighten trains be a good option? I'm thinking something like this: http://www.a2ztoysto...?id_product=406

The enlighten trains have some interesting parts but have a couple of drawbacks. The plastic colours are slightly different than LEGO colours, and the clutch power is also different and less consistent. Some pieces bind too well and others not well enough. Enlighten seem to be a lot better than other clones though. The real disadvantage of Enlighten trains for me is the track is brown rather than dark grey. The wheel sets also have a lot more friction than LEGO train wheels.

The only thing going for it is price. As has been mentioned, the quality and design is utterly inferior. I would be embarresed to have that run on the same rails as my Maersk...

Then again, I am something of a purist

If you have no track at all or do not care if you mix brown and gray, the Enlighten track might be a lot cheaper starting point without much sacrifice. I haven't tried it myself since I still have plenty of 9v track, but if you google enlighten track you'll turn up a few reviews.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I only need one engine to put around my Christmas tree, and it seemed like a good option. I won't be buying any Enlighten track, and I will probably getting my first 9v after Christmas. (For the record, I actually have a few sets, but my friends really don't understand the meaning of the word gentle.)

Hello all, I have a quick question for you guys. I'm not a purist or anything, so would the Enlighten trains be a good option? I'm thinking something like this: http://www.a2ztoysto...?id_product=406

I've got most of the Enlighten rolling stock which is ok, especially if you're on a budget. I just have one engine, the greenish diesel. It's not bad but it seems a waste to put expensive PF in it. Their other engines don't look so great design-wise IMO. I purchased them here in China so they were very reasonable and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality (guess I wasn't expecting much).

I'm going with Lego engines and cars with some Enlighten cars mixed in myself.

Hello,

I have decided to rebuilt the train I used to played when I was young (even if I must find some space).

So I have (12V train) :

- 50 curved rails

- 50 straight rails

- 2 switch points (1 left / 1 right)

- 2 crossings

- 2 remote control signals

- 1 transformer 12V

- 2 trains

a) I'm looking for a playable train layout - if possible in a minimum space / room - and I don't know what would be the best choice (track plan).

Do you have any idea ? Where can I find some examples ?

I have dowloaded blu brick that help, but I need more inspiration. I can also consider to add some tacks if needed (swith point ?).

b) Then I also consider to add a transformer in order to control 2 trains separatly, or more exactly 2 parts of the layout.

But would it be possible to have a track that communicates between those 2 parts (I mean I probably must have to use an isolation process somewhere or something like that). The goal would be to control 2 trains separatly (one on each part) with a possible access to each part for each train (if it's explained somewhere, please let me know).

Thansks for your help, and sorry for my poor english :classic: .

Good idea you have there. When I had model trains (Hornby etc) I added extra wires from the main wire to different tracks, so I could run 2 trains at the same time. I also used points to my help. Example: (Sorry for brief drawing!)

untitled.png

You may have to modify the cables but it can work. The only drawback is that the trains will run at the same speed. For access to say a switching yard, you can create points that link from track to track.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Darthluke824