pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

The one thing that basically worries me about Disney buying out LucasFilm, is the possible cross over between the Marvel and Star Wars universe. Fine that such thing could happen soon, especially with the Dark Horse comics stopping next year of making 'EU' stories to be replaced by Marvel Comics, and I know that it isn't the first time Marvel Comics has done the first EU comics for the Star Wars universe. But I am not too keen on the Star Wars universe from next year onwards.

Just a shame that KoTOR, KoTOR II, etc being less focused compared to the ST (sequel trilogy). Might as well create mocs of EU based characters, ships, etc before the Prequel Trilogy, and after ROTJ timelines if no sets gets done by TLG any time soon.

Edited by AudiBobaR5-D2

Why?

Star Wars has been crossed over with any old shite as long as they paid the fees. Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Transformers, Phineas and Ferb to name a few. Why does a Marvel cross over concern you so much?

But that's exactly what we will get. We will get elements of the EU in Episode VII. We will get elements of the EU in Rebels. Just as for the past 20 years they have snuck elements of the EU into the PT, into the OT Special Editions and with extreme frequency, into TCW.

This had to happen. As soon as they announced that there would be a 7th movie everything written had to burn. There was no way around it. The new movies and TV shows could not be constrained by the timelines, histories and stories of the books. Many of the characters and Ships and planets will be saved and reintroduced in the new stuff. It's happened before. Remember Coruscant was from the books before it was formalized, as written, in the movies. Many EU ships and characters were formalized with cameos. Their exact back stories and histories will change to match the new timelines, but they are not completely off the table. We may yet see Thrawn or Talon Carde or Mara Jade, etc. but if we see them it will be in a different story than what we have read.

As far as we know right now there is really only one key EU event that is absolutely positively 100% undone with no real hope of returning, at least not in anything close to its EU manner. And it is generally the most hated moment from all of the books. The moment the EU jumped the shark and the majority of fans walked away and stopped reading. We know Peter Mayhew is on set for episode VII. Chewbaca Lives!

Among the things that probably triggered this were the rather horrific arms race that went on between the EU writers. How each new story seemed to go for bigger and more absurd galaxy destroying super weapons. (Granted JJ Abrahms is involved and he does have some of his own issues along these lines. See: USS Vengeance). And let's not forget the Yuzhan Vong (or however you spell it) star War's answer to all of the really lousy Star Trek villain races introduced in Voyager. With a dash of Stargate Atlantis and Earth Final Conflict thrown in. At the end of the day the new movies have to look and feel like classic Star Wars to succeed. The EU had written itself to far away from that to be preserved as it was.

Are you insane? Dark Horse has lost the license. The root IP is now outright owned by Marvel. Those comics will not be reprinted or republished in any form unless or until Marvel buys out Dark horse. Whatever you do, DO NOT THROW OUT THE COMICS!!!!!

I agree with you that the EU books went a bit extreme and they caused quite a bit of controversy on a few ocassions. The killing of Chewbacca made no sense at all. The Yuuzhan Vong war was a bit OTT, and so on.

At the same time the EU produced some excellent stories and characters which i hope Disney will take note of rather than throw them all in the bin. For me, having read all the books so far, it will feel quite strange in the future to watch and get used to a different reality from the EU one. I just hope that major pre-films characters such as, Revan, Malgus, Gnost Dural, Theron Shan and so on dont get killed completely.

In terms of the comics I meant I will sell them rather than throw them away. I understand that Dark Horse have lost the licence but are they not allowed to re-print any of the comics they have brought out so far?

No, all that means is that Darth Bane is a canon Sith, not that everything Dart Bane appears in must also be canon.

I hope the Darth Bane trilogy is used and adapted by Disney. Those three books are some of the most magnificent ones ever written in the EU history.