pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

Well, this is certainly big news. This was unexpected, but I kinda had a feeling something like this would happen eventually seeing as Lucas was retiring. I'll be optimistic about this development as they did a good job with Marvel so far. I'm excited to see new SW movies in the theater, no matter what they will be about. After all, I even liked the prequels, and it can't be worse than the CW movie, right?

I think this sequel trilogy will be about the adventures of Luke's or Han and Leia's kids. Because let's face it, the main cast of the OT is too old to star in a new trilogy and there are no actors who could replace them. They could make cameos as the older versions of their characters, but that's about it. And it can't be about the Old Republic because it is said to be a sequel. I also don't think they will make film adaptions of any of the EU books and rather go with a new story.

Whatever this means for the future of Star Wars, one thing is for sure: The Lego Star Wars theme is going to continue for a long time. :classic:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I don't know what's more tragic, the fact that Disney's bought yet another timeless franchise or the fact that I can't wait for Star Wars VII, no matter how bad it is.

This does raise some questions about what will happen with the Disney license, however. We've already got what, ten more years of Star Wars with Lucasfilm? Something like that, if I remember correctly. Will LEGO need to "refresh" its license for Star Wars, so to speak?

Actually, I prefer a good TV series to a movie every time. The reason is that stories can be told differently, better, since the authors have more time for developing the characters and the stories. Good examples are Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Boardwalk Empire, or Game of Thrones, and I think the same is true for TCW.

Very well put. I completely agree with you.

Maybe they'll release an original OT on BluRay. Yeah, the ones with Hans shooting first. :classic:

While I love the fact that Star Wars will never die, I'm not sure how to feel about this! Sad, happy, confused!?

More movies, but, will they have the feel of the OT or PT. Can Disney capture the feel of movies that are 30+ years old? I guess we will find out when director, producer and actors are announced?

WOW, I'm kinda.....wow!

Jamie

At first I thought this was the typical interwebs BS...but no. Honestly I think this is a great move on the part of both parties. Disney has always had a great relationship with LucasFilm and how they have handled the Marvel franchise has me excited about what they might do with the SW universe. Lucas, despite how many people feel, has been behind ten of the most popular and influential films of all time but clearly he is burnt out and as he said, it is time to pass the torch to someone new and fresh. Besides, it's not like he won't have a hand in the new films, he has already mapped out the new trilogy. Collider (my favorite movie news website) breaks it all down for us. And no, Disney can't touch Indiana Jones or the Clone Wars. At least not yet...

http://collider.com/disney-lucasfilm-star-wars-7/207372/

Stuff to remember about Disney:

-They didn't make the Marvel movies. They allowed them to proceed as planned, and are now supporting phase two.

-The studio head who supported Prince of Persia, POTC4 and Jon Carter was fired. Plus, he was one of the people responsible for titling the movie Jon Carter instead of Princess of Mars (because boys hate princesses) and the horrible ad campaign.

-The company handed over its animation to Pixar head John Lasseter, who used to be part of Lucasfilm...

Stuff to consider about George Lucas:

-He's crazy.

-He hasn't had a good idea in over 25 years.

-Even then, so much of what we loved in the original movies were products of the cast, Ralph McQuarrie, and the director of Empire, Irvin Kirshner.

-Every bad idea he had for the prequels was agreed to by his sycophantic staff of yes-men.

At the very least, the brand is in abler hands. Or maybe you forget the Ewoks cartoon show Lucas approved? He was not a bearer of quality.

star-wars-ewoks-20081001020100191-000.jpg

Personally if they are going to make another trilogy I have 5 words for them "Knights of The Old Republic"

I'm starting to lighten up about this whole situation. Maybe Lucas Films is in good hands...

Stuff to consider about George Lucas:

-He hasn't had a good idea in over 25 years.

HEY I LIKED THE LAST CRUSADE FROM 1989. :tongue:

Things Disney need to do to win my support (No real order):

Original Original Trilogy on Blu-ray.

New X-Wing/Tie-Fighter Game

Battlefront III

Jedi Knight 3 (A proper one, none of this kinnect motion control shite)

If you do do 7/8/9 Make it the Thrawn Trilogy

Put Tim Zahn in charge of the EU.

Ignore 90% of the current EU

Make a proper KotOR 3

Part of me isn't that bothered. George has managed to ruin my enjoyment of Star Wars piece by piece. I see It more as a bloated cash cow now.

Shame.

Edited by simonjedi

Another question that opens up is what does this mean for projects that have been in development hell until now, such as Star Wars Underworld or Battlefront 3, due to budget issues? With Disney backing them up, I think these could finally come to fruition, but nothing is for certain.

As long as George isn't in charge of LucasFilm anymore, it's fine by me. He's not the "creative genius" everyone thinks he is, but nevertheless he did come up with the idea. I'm looking forward to Episode 7 (as long as it's not animated), hopefully they'll be able to restore the greatness of Star Wars that was messed up during the prequels.

I understand the anger that was a result of the prequels, but I don't think anyone can really say that George Lucas is not a creative genuis. Yes I would agree with you that in recent years, he has lost his creative sense as he hasn't really developed any new ideas, but he still is the creator of star wars and I think that we should always show respect for his wonderful creation and honor the things he has done for the many star wars fans, young and old, out there.

I'm really curious to see what the new Star Wars movie will be about. I personally hope it would be about the Old Republic as thats the only area not really put to the test by the franchise (not including the video games), sadly I highly doubt they will make any Old Republic Movies and just follow Lucas' plan of making the episodes 4, 5 and 6 about Luke and the rebellion then 1,2 and 3 about Anakin and the clone wars and finally ending on 7, 8 and 9 which was meant to be about what happens after the Battle of Endor. In that case, I'm not really sure what there going to do actor wise( If they bring in new actors, I am done with Star Wars), but I do see some great lego sets coming out of these movies though.

This has been in my head all afternoon now and I believe that there are three possible storylines...

The Old Republic( mainly about the Great Galactic War and Darth Malgus' rise to power, I would say this one has about a 40% chance of coming to reality)

The New Republic(mainly about the defeat of the Empire, Clone of Palaptine and the fall of Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side. All three movie plots are right there, I would also say this one has about an 80% chance of becoming reality.)

The History of Yoda( mainly about yoda's past and training Count Dooku. This one is as about a 5% chance of coming to reality though.)

I'm pretty positive we'll end up with the new republic one, perhaps not like my idea, but something around those lines.

Edited by North Lego Star

HEY I LIKED THE LAST CRUSADE FROM 1989. :tongue:

Lucas wanted Tom Selleck for Indiana Jones.

Really? Okay, I guess 'def' was right. :grin:

I wonder what this means for Indiana Jones... I predict a fifth movie by 2020. :tongue:

You have your information wrong. Selleck's 'mustache auditioned for the role but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Plus, he was dating Carrie Fisher and it would have been all awkward ...

Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave. Don't try and say otherwise.

I don't know what will come of this. It can be good or bad, I don't really care. I just don't like seeing Disney or any other big corporations buying out other big corporatons. It feels like a monopoly, and something about it just feels wrong.

I personally do not like this. This raises the probability of them retconning the Expanded Universe in the novels with the future movies.

-Omi

I highly doubt they'll make movies of games. KOTOR won't see a movie. It was a great story. The best outside of the original trilogy in terms of Star Wars. But it wouldn't be as powerful since we all know the story. Also they probably want to do other things.

Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave. Don't try and say otherwise.

I don't know what will come of this. It can be good or bad, I don't really care. I just don't like seeing Disney or any other big corporations buying out other big corporatons. It feels like a monopoly, and something about it just feels wrong.

He is not rolling over in his grave! "Disney's remains were cremated on December 17, 1966." :P

He is not rolling over in his grave! "Disney's remains were cremated on December 17, 1966." :P

Figuratively then. :wink:

Wow, Just wow.

I really don't know how to take this. I love Star Wars, but I just don't know.

My thoughts exactly.

On one hand, Lucas hasn't made anything I've liked in a significant amount of time, and if things get even worse within the franchise under Disney, I can just treat it the same way I've been treating everything bad that's already come from Lucas. I also agree that this could be the opportunity to get someone new in charge of developing the storyline with more respect for the EU, and it's not as if things can get any worse on that front, since the EU is already being altered with Lucasfilm in charge.

On the other hand, somehow it just seems wrong for Star Wars to be a Disney production.

So we gonna see Star Wars with disney cheesy musical within? :D No joke. The Team stays mainly the same I am very happy, that they will do more Star Wars movies. I am not really a fan of the Clone Wars series. When I compare the quality to Biowares The Old Repuplic Trailers they simply suck :P