Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #48: Death's Homecoming

"We don't know why he raids this place either. Anyone's guess.

We have instructions from our master. We will not attack you directly. Perhaps we can talk face-to-face when you're done getting impaled by thorns, hm?"

"Good work Johon, you seem to have found a good method of figuring out which are trapdoors. Let's try this;"

Order:

Sylph: Dig A7 (with shovel) loan Alex pickax

Johon: Dig A10 (with shovel) loan Galen and Lycan pickax

Galen: Dig A5 (with borrowed pickax)

Elgar: Dig A4 (with shovel)

Lycan: Dig A3 (with borrowed pickax)

Alex: Dig A9 (with borrowed pickax)

QM Note: I was under the impression Lycan wanted to use a bomb... which may be effective. :tongue:

"We don't know why he raids this place either. Anyone's guess.

We have instructions from our master. We will not attack you directly. Perhaps we can talk face-to-face when you're done getting impaled by thorns, hm?"

"Lycan, don't use a bomb. Fire plus forest is not a great mix." :sadnew: Sylph gently warns. "And, furthermore, I don't think these spiders appreciate fire."

"I understand your desire to test us, but I assure you, we mean no harm too you or the forest. I only burnt your web after conferring with our two spider companions, who saw no harm in it. We have to get through the forest to vanquish the invading ether-born abominations." Sylph says in spider.

(OoC:

The Party:

ava-sylph.jpgSylph Solanum (Dannylonglegs) *Party Leader!* *Trial!*

unknown age, unknown race Druid

Level 17.5

Power: 25 (17+7+1)

Defense: 0

Health: 32/32(9+16+7)

Ether: 9/20 (5+16+1+-2)

Gold: 44

Equipment: Merry Bow (WP:7, ranged, steals 1 gold with each successful hit except Shield-skills *Badly Poisoned!*), Ranger's Quiver (WP +1 to bows and crossbows), 20-20 glasses (make scrolls last one round extra)

Inventory: Mockthril Rod (WP:7), Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Confusion, 1 Potions, 1 Grand Potion, Tonic x2, Grand Tonic x2, Remedy, 2 Venoms, Smoke Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 3 Water Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, Floral Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, 8 Bones, Signet Ring, Saber Teeth, Crumbling Venom, Journal of The Bleeding, Sword Fragment (1), Smelling Salts x2, Helmet (Max. health +1)

QM Note: I'm a phone right now, so I can't get the map up quite yet. I'll have it up when I get my grubby little mitts on the computer. Also, Sylph, the trial brew only takes it's toll when you enter a battle.

I am right that the glasses make my max ether go down by 2, right? Also, since I can only wear one head gear (right? It'd be great if I could have more than one, but I think I can't by the rules :sceptic: ), then I forgot to say, my max health should go down one too to 32 because I'd need to remove my helmet. Also, I tried to heal myself before too :blush: So, I changed my stats to reflect that. I think they're right now.)

Edited by Dannylonglegs

"Those distasteful shelled fellows? Yes, they are the ones who are currently holding something against Master. He refuses to talk about it... And questioning him while he is this irate could be disastrous."

Results:

Lycan finds stable ground!

HgjrK.png

QM Note: I apologize for the shoddy looking numbers: paint.net is acting up, and I didn't want to hold you up because my font looked a bit funny.

Edited by Endgame

Results:

Lycan finds stable ground!

HgjrK.png

QM Note: I apologize for the shoddy looking numbers: paint.net is acting up, and I didn't want to hold you up because my font looked a bit funny.

(OoC: don't worry about it!)

"Alright, good work Lycan. Now, there is a possibility of more than one path and dead ends and what not, so let's go with this:

Order:

Sylph: Dig B3 (with shovel)

Johon: Dig B4 (with shovel)

Galen: Dig B2 (with borrowed pickax)

Elgar: Dig A2 (with shovel)

Lycan: Dig A1 (with borrowed pickax)

Alex: Dig A11 (with borrowed pickax)

"Those distasteful shelled fellows? Yes, they are the ones who are currently holding something against Master. He refuses to talk about it... And questioning him while he is this irate could be disastrous."

"Yes, that's what I feared. Do you have any idea what they are holding against him, or how we could find out. In order to overthrow this invasion and destroy the unnatural beings perpetrating it, we must liberate this forest and you, its residents. If your master is enslaved by them, we may be the only ones capable of freeing him."

Edited by Dannylonglegs

"I'm afraid you don't realize the severity of the situation. Our master is typically a gentle giant prone to showing mercy, but whatever they've done to him has made him a furious, unstable wreck. What they are holding against him must be very dear to him. He already has a web prepared for us if we disobey.

Thus, the trial goes on. Sorry."

Results

More solid ground.

1RRfC.png

"I'm afraid you don't realize the severity of the situation. Our master is typically a gentle giant prone to showing mercy, but whatever they've done to him has made him a furious, unstable wreck. What they are holding against him must be very dear to him. He already has a web prepared for us if we disobey.

Thus, the trial goes on. Sorry."

Results

More solid ground.

1RRfC.png

"The Proggs, as they are called, are a menace. All but a few of them are ether-born monsters with no sense of morality, sympathy, or naturality. Once we escape this trial, we will free him from whatever power they hold over him."

Order:

Sylph: Do Nothing (with shovel)

Johon: Dig C4 (with shovel)

Galen: Dig C3 (with borrowed pickax)

Elgar: Dig C2 (with shovel)

Lycan: Dig B2 (with borrowed pickax)

Alex: Dig A12 (with borrowed pickax)

Galen paused to reminisce for a moment, leaning on Johon's pickaxe.

"You know, the Dragonlord didn't seem to me like someone who would care to start a spider petting zoo. He's an ageing, dignified but fearsome warrior, and he must be quite busy running Heroica and keeping Eubric safe. I can't fathom why he would be chasing spiders in Luosh. Something strange is afoot."

Galen blinked.

"Oh, did I ever tell you that I have met the Dragonlord once?"

Was it on the fabled Quest 0?

"Fabled? :laugh: I don't know why it would be, but you're right Lycan. It was almost two years ago. We were green and inexperienced, it was our first mission for Heroica. The Dragonlord had gone missing and we were sent out to find him. And we did, though we had to fight our way through the caves of Nathuz and the valley of Waldurk. Good times.

Funny thing, now that I think about it we did meet spiders on our way through the mountains back then, though it shouldn't really be surprising. We often think that humans are the most numerous race in Uland, but I promise you that spiders outnumber humans by far. I have met them in every Quest I have been on so far, and in every size you can think of. Mercutio only knows why they haven't yet tried to conquer us like the Proggs are doing." :sceptic:

"Fabled? :laugh: I don't know why it would be, but you're right Lycan. It was almost two years ago. We were green and inexperienced, it was our first mission for Heroica. The Dragonlord had gone missing and we were sent out to find him. And we did, though we had to fight our way through the caves of Nathuz and the valley of Waldurk. Good times.

Funny thing, now that I think about it we did meet spiders on our way through the mountains back then, though it shouldn't really be surprising. We often think that humans are the most numerous race in Uland, but I promise you that spiders outnumber humans by far. I have met them in every Quest I have been on so far, and in every size you can think of. Mercutio only knows why they haven't yet tried to conquer us like the Proggs are doing." :sceptic:

"Because they are respectable creatures of nature. They possess no man-made drive to kill and conquer. They desire food and shelter. There are very few spiders that experience malice, just as there are few Proggs, to my knowledge, that feel compassion or a tie to the natural world." Stated Sylph grimly.

"Because they are respectable creatures of nature. They possess no man-made drive to kill and conquer. They desire food and shelter. There are very few spiders that experience malice, just as there are few Proggs, to my knowledge, that feel compassion or a tie to the natural world." Stated Sylph grimly.

"You could be right Sylph, you know nature's secrets better than I do. I remember having been attacked by spiders, though they were nothing compared to the Proggs that we have fought so far. It's a shame that the Progg race is almost beyond salvation. They are clever, inventive, surprising. They could be formidable allies if they would only put aside the distant past. But being so long-lived, the distant past and the suffering are probably more vivid to them than it would be to us. Do you think there's any hope for a peaceful solution to this invasion?"

"You could be right Sylph, you know nature's secrets better than I do. I remember having been attacked by spiders, though they were nothing compared to the Proggs that we have fought so far. It's a shame that the Progg race is almost beyond salvation. They are clever, inventive, surprising. They could be formidable allies if they would only put aside the distant past. But being so long-lived, the distant past and the suffering are probably more vivid to them than it would be to us. Do you think there's any hope for a peaceful solution to this invasion?"

"Hunger (and hunter's instinct) and malice are different things. If Spiders attack you, it is certainly for the former and very rarely for the latter. Occasionally there are territorial instincts at play too, but those feelings stem from practicality and self preservation, and not from a desire to harm in and of itself. Truly you have little to fear from most spiders though. Those that are small and that do not possess of poison capable of harming human beings would rather hide than attack you.

As for the Progg, I have my doubts. If we kill their Princes, the twisted, ancient beings responsible for this invasion, then perhaps we can reason with the remaining, leaderless soldiers. But that is wishful thinking. Those who stand behind their leaders' cruel actions now are unlikely to stand for peaceful actions later. I have little hope that we can avoid killing them all... for the safety of nature and the humans of Luosh, and frankly, the entire world. Those Proggs that stand with us now are of a better kind than those consciously perpetrating the massacre of the innocent people here. I feel that only they, and perhaps those that may join us later or see the error of their ways, are the only Proggs that will see a peaceful solution to this crime."

Edited by Dannylonglegs

QM Note: With turkey day festivities over, and all the food digested, we return you to your featured interspecies war presentation. :tongue:

hhKIw.png

QM Note: With turkey day festivities over, and all the food digested, we return you to your featured interspecies war presentation. :tongue:

hhKIw.png

Order:

Sylph: Dig D4 (with shovel)

Johon: Dig C4 (with shovel)

Galen: Dig E3 (with borrowed pickax)

Elgar: Dig D2 (with shovel)

Lycan: Dig E2 (with borrowed pickax)

Alex: Dig E4 (with borrowed pickax)

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Results

Yb4x3.png

The party is slowly but surely making their way through.

"Uuuuhmmm. Maybe using a bomb isn't such a bad idea? You'll only be cursed if one of our spiders has malice towards you. And as long as we keep that little incident from Master...

Please find some way to get through this faster - Master is slowly going barking mad, and we need you to reason with him..."

Johon tries taking a more radical approach. He takes out some rope and securely ties it to his pick-axe that is being borrowed by Galen and tosses Galen his shovel. Johon then tells the party to stand back, and then starts rapidly twirling it around him, letting it drag on the ground to cover large area at once.

Johon, what piece of ground are you standin on when doing this?

Can I have a list of actions?

(can I colour-code them?) :grin:

Order:

Sylph: Do Nothing

Johon: Do That Thing he Described from E4

Galen: Do Nothing

Elgar: Do Nothing

Lycan: Throw Fire Bomb at I5 from E4

Alex: Do Nothing

Edited by Dannylonglegs