Sign in to follow this  
Jason C. Hand

[LDD MOC] - CIS Super Tank

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I'm back once again to present my latest MOC: a CIS Super Tank. The model was inspired by two other models seen on MOCPages: a model created by Commander Neyo, and the other done by HAZARDOUSBUILDER <O_O>. I'll have to admit: my version of this Separatist vehicle does not look 100% like the real thing, since I was set from jump street to take a few liberties with the model.

Anyway, here is a picture of the Super Tank:

8079036034_9f7d86007a_z.jpg

More pictures on my Flickr photostream ("Flickshot30"). Hope you all enjoy, comments/suggestions welcome.

11/9/12 update: See below for update model download.

I'll apologize up front for being blunt (and perhaps a bit harsh).

You're referring to this http://starwars.wiki...wiki/Super_tank right?

Yours appears to have a much wider stance than the source. The front (cockpit?) on the source sweeps up and back, into the slightly-wider shell of the rear half of the vehicle, whereas it sort of just sits there on yours (and doesn't stretch quite as high). Perhaps my biggest question--Where's the awesome double cannon/mortar that pokes out from under the shell near the top of the tank? :laugh:

It's not a bad start. Pinch the sides in a bit and scale the cockpit a bit so that it more closely resembles the source, and you'll be well on your way!

Edit:

I was bored so I LDD'ed up a sample of how I would go about doing the front section of the vehicle. I'm bad with curved surfaces, heh.

8093011177_93846af603_c.jpg

Edited by swils

Hi there.

Yeah, I purposely built it as wide as I did because I really wanted to sort of match it up size-wise and girth-wise to the AT-TE. I wanted this model to be as tall as the former to really give off the impression that those two particular vehicles could be about evenly match with each other. But yeah, you are right: the cockpit does arc up and back into the larger shell :)

Also, I was looking to arch the sides of the tank a bit but think I got list during the process. I will go back and "re-arch" both sides of the tank while seeing if there is a way to maintain some visibility of the extra "firepower" inside.

Oh, the twin mortar shooters? They are under the cockpit opening, one just has to rotate them into position. The photos on my Flickr (Flickshot30) will show where the mortar shooters are located.

But yeah, to restate I was looking to build the Super Tank into slightly more of a monster that it is on "The Clone Wars" and make it both somewhat more imposing and the near equal to an AT-TE.

Oh yeah, one more thing: the whole roof at the very top. I'm not sure if my pictures on Flickr clarified that but I will edit them with markers to show just where the rotation points are :D

Fair enough! I looked through your Flickr pictures, and realized that yours actually opens up for fig storage/"play features"--something I rarely do when making models, heh. Looking at the side-shot in your Flickr, then comparing it to http://images2.wikia...-SuperTanks.png , you might benefit from making the central (and tallest) part of the back-shell able to rotate around the wheels' axle. It would be both functional and true to the source, allowing you to show off the interior by rotating the shell towards the back of the tank, which would also reveal those mortars (if they are relocated). I haven't seen the tank in the show, but I imagine that's how it works (may be wrong, though). The tail of the tank also seems to have a much longer and gentler slope than yours, worth considering.

I really hope I don't seem like I'm nitpicking, heh, but my apologies if I come off that way.

I just thought of something: What I might do is build the Super Tank around the front part of an MTT, since that is what parts of the tank are based on. Not sure how that is gonna go, but at this point I am not against making an attempt, because my last effort while good for a start may not really end up even remotely resembling the source. So...back to the drawing board for now,I guess.

I just thought of something: What I might do is build the Super Tank around the front part of an MTT, since that is what parts of the tank are based on. Not sure how that is gonna go, but at this point I am not against making an attempt, because my last effort while good for a start may not really end up even remotely resembling the source. So...back to the drawing board for now,I guess.

Hello again guys.

Ok, so I redesigned my Super Tank a bit..it has a new cockpit design with an opening roof and twin mortar launchers, slightly flatter sides and a re-edited rear tailend. Pics below.

8123910608_3d660c6c87.jpg

8123910540_4a1e83a404.jpg

8123910442_6f8e81d255.jpg

Download link is above in the first post. Hope you all enjoy, comments welcome.

Also: Added some custom Geonosis Battle Droids and droid carrier. A Droid Pilot is already inside the cockpit for time saving purposes.

Edited by Jason C. Hand

Just looking at a reference image, the mortar launchers should be closer together. Also, the body is just too bulky and blocky (though the latter is harder to avoid with LEGO blocks). I think it needs a bit more revision, overall.

Ok guys, I revamped my Super Tank model, this time based loosely on the one built by MOCPages' Commander Neyo:

8165884312_becc569e5f_n.jpg

8165853749_c797930b4f_n.jpg

8165853715_a13f742d97_n.jpg

8165853677_beea5d184c_n.jpg

Hope ya's enjoy viewing the photos, comments/suggestions welcome. Will upload the .LXF file later if any are interested.

Edited by Jason C. Hand

Ok guys, I revamped my Super Tank model, this time based loosely on the one built by MOCPages' Commander Neyo:

Hope ya's enjoy viewing the photos, comments/suggestions welcome. Will upload the .LXF file later if any are interested.

Though this is an improvement, it does now look too much like the MTT, rather than the super tank. Nice interior features though.

Though this is an improvement, it does now look too much like the MTT, rather than the super tank. Nice interior features though.

Thanks, man. The source material this go-round was rather small, I wan't sure if it was a mini or or MOC that was cropped down. But yeah, you're right it does resemble the MTT more than the Super Tank, even though it's based on MTT builds.

LXF file here. Includes TX-21 droid, brick-built Poggle the Lesser and Geonosian and 2 Battle Droids (one w/ blue torso, signifying pilot droid). Comments welcome as always, please free to D/L and edit/reshape/use as you see fit.

Edited by Jason C. Hand

LXF file here. Includes TX-21 droid, brick-built Poggle the Lesser and Geonosian and 2 Battle Droids (one w/ blue torso, signifying pilot droid). Comments welcome as always, please free to D/L and edit/reshape/use as you see fit.

Do you have any images? I can't open LXF files on this computer.

4/24 Update:

Geonosian minifig update with proper head and wing setup; battle droids also updated. Download link locate above.