Brix

[MOC] RotJ speederbike - alternative build from Desert Skiff 9496

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Note: I'd posted this a week ago but it was lost in the recent outage. I've since rebuilt it from scratch, making a number of changes along the way.

Behold the speederbike from Return of the Jedi, built entirely from the Desert Skiff 9496 set. I obviously had to make a number of compromises due to limited parts and colour selection, but I'm still happy with the result.

8070445167_c157d8256d.jpg

8053149457_e36f8a8e4c.jpg

8070440142_07fa30c35e.jpg

Edited to fix broken Flickr code on 2014-01-10.

Edited by Brix

Like I said earlier...

That speederbike looks great :thumbup:

Building something out of the limited pieces of a given set is a really good and exciting challenge. You have to be inventive and creative.

I think EB should hold a building contest open to every themes (pirates, starwars, etc... except maybe technic) and the rule would be to use only bricks from a number of various sets, so every builder start with the same bricks... But maybe I'm the only one interested in this kind of challenge, and maybe it's already been done here :wink:

I totally agree with the previous post.

This is a great build with limited pieces, the shape and feel of the speederbike is captured indeed.

And contests with limited pieces to certain sets is a really interesting challenge!

That is very clever, especially considering how limited you were on parts. *oh2*

Really nice improvements Brix! I especially like the streamlined seat, modified control arms, and the addition of the pipe underneath is brilliant!

P.S. Thanks for the additional pics you sent me so I could make my own! I love it! Maybe you could send me some more, so I can make this improved version? :wink:

The new improvements are great and I like how you have mounted the bike on the stand now and got rid of Boba's head. :thumbup: Great work with the limited parts!

How did this not get blogged? :wacko: It's awesome. :thumbup:

The way each of those large curved pieces has been used, it's as if they were picked out just for this model, not for the Desert Skiff set. Really, really great parts usage.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow. Thanks Brickdoctor - it's an honour to have my MOC on the blog!

I agree about the design of those curved pieces. As soon as I saw the desert skiff set, the first thing I thought was that they'd be perfect for a speederbike. I didn't realise that the rest of the set would lend itself so well to putting one together.

I remember complimenting this incredibly creative build before, but apparently that reaction got lost. It's amazing what you can do with a given selection of pieces, and this speederbike would've been a good build even if it hadn't been built with the current limitations. Well done Brix!

Building something out of the limited pieces of a given set is a really good and exciting challenge. You have to be inventive and creative.

I think EB should hold a building contest open to every themes (pirates, starwars, etc... except maybe technic) and the rule would be to use only bricks from a number of various sets, so every builder start with the same bricks... But maybe I'm the only one interested in this kind of challenge, and maybe it's already been done here :wink:

This sounds like a fantastic idea, especially if you use sets that are affordable and that most of us have or can easily pick up.

This sounds like a fantastic idea, especially if you use sets that are affordable and that most of us have or can easily pick up.

I'll try to contact EB staff about it.

And I'm absolutely amazed by your new avatar... because I've the exact same fig on my desk and I wanted to shot it today to change my avatar... :sweet:

I'll try to contact EB staff about it.

And I'm absolutely amazed by your new avatar... because I've the exact same fig on my desk and I wanted to shot it today to change my avatar... :sweet:

Great minds think alike apparently! :laugh: I still needed an avatar, and this was the custom Sith i came up with as a sig-fig. I had an alternative idea for a more neutral sig-fig, but since i have mostly SW characters in my collection i don't have the minifig parts to make anything else. :blush:

Edited by DFOL