Sign in to follow this  
piterx

Best lego design program?

As my job is vfx artist, id like to put out some cool 3d lego models... Could you tell me wich is the best program to build a 3d technic and export it into maya or 3ds ? :) tnxe

(i wrote it better...are you happy now? -.-)

Edited by piterx

I've moved your topic to a more appropriate forum. You'll get more help here.

Also, please use proper capitalization and punctuation in the future. Thank you.

You have two very different questions there. The best editor for Technic models is probably SR3D because it understands the connections between parts and allows easy alignment of complex mechanisms. However, the LDraw langugage is nothing like other 3D formats, so exporting to them is going to be a problem. LDview is capable of exporting to 3DS, but I've never tried it. You can use any LDraw editor and then open in LDView.

I have no experience with Lego Digital Designer, so I don't know whether or not it exports to other formats, but I'm sure someone here will know.

cornelius sorry for my wrong typing...im not english:)

thank you blakbird i think ill give a try to sr3d... it seems really cool, i hope i can find a way to export it in 3ds or maya :)

cornelius sorry for my wrong typing...im not english:)

It has nothing to do with English. It has to do with using capital letters and proper punctuation. And that is universal.

Also, this question has been discussed in the forum several times. Please search for Maya or similar and see what you find.

I have never tried exporting a 3DS file with LDView and then opening it with Maya and at present I can't install Maya as I don't want to weigh down my computer with another big programme while the hard drive is already hanging in the balances, but you should try exporting to a 3DS with LDView and if you can get it to work, then I would definitely recommend making your model in SR 3D Builder and then opening it with LDView to export it to 3DS. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure if anything else will. I don't remember how LeoCad worked, but I think it had a few exporting options as well. Haven't used it in years. :wacko: