CorneliusMurdock

TMNT 2013

All of those sets but the Shellraiser and the robot thingie seems like rushly designed afterthoughts to me. And I'm anything but inclined to buy even those. Although that's probably because TMNT represents my only experience with Megabloks; that one set that my brother got for a christmas present. It involved a slimy substanse (...or that might have been something he added, come to think about it...), and I spent years afterwards sorting the Megabloks out of our Lego collection. For all I know, there might still be a piece or two somewhere in there!

So that's basically why I thought Lego would be safe from that particular license, which, no offence to the TV shows, I don't see fit for a Lego theme.

Edited by Multiverse

I was thinking of getting the Shellraiser and the Baxter Rampage, looked like the easiest way to get all 4 turtles.

But looking at the prices, I may have to review my options. :sceptic:

Those are nice, but they get bigger:

alt1

alt1

alt1

alt1

alt1

alt1

Edited by Aanchir

Im so not decided about this theme i like the look of the turtles and some of the minifigures but the baddies and general models look just horrible

I really want to know what the Japanese words on the flag on Shredder's Bike say. I know some Japanese and I think it says something like "O Gold" which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I really want to know what the Japanese words on the flag on Shredder's Bike say. I know some Japanese and I think it says something like "O Gold" which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think it's just random letters put together to look cool.

I was hardly interested in the original TMNT when I was young, and don't know the actual version, so my opinion is probably biased. Or maybe truly objective because not blinded by fandom.

But in general I am not impressed by these sets at all.

Probably Lego is not to blame. There is the source material, target audience (-10?) and budget they have to work with. Nevertheless, a lot of the (secondary) vehicles seem to be build by somebody of that same target audience, while with some sets the color palet reminds me of any given Duplo set. Even the minifigures, I think for most AFOL's the major selling point for these sets, seem to be more <insert that tiresome argument> then usual. Specialy the "human" characters look childish i.m.o.

Is it all bad then? Of course not. In this line there is again an expansion of new pieces/colors (olive green !) and some of the figs like the Kraang androids and Footsoldiers look nice and can be useful beyond the TMNT line. But for me that doesnt justify buying the whole sets. Due to TLG's pricing policy over here its never justified to buy licensed sets as parts packs.

On other (AFOL) forums I read similar criticisms, but many times people added that they would buy the sets anyway in order to get the figs. Personaly I think we are giving TLG a wrong signal like that.

But, as I said before, you cannot blame Lego for the looks of the source material, and even less for the fact that they continue to bring out overpriced, mediocre sets, if people continue to buy them in order to get hold of all the "unique" minifigs. They are a business after all. And I must plead guilty for having done the same in a couple of occasions too. :-)

Anyway, if they will be easily available here, which is still to see since also the availability of e.g. superheroes is for some unclear reason rather limited in Belgium, I maybe might get the 79100 Lab.

But mainly because thanks to the brain shaped creature (Kraang?), the flying saucer and the purple and trans lime green details, that set reminds me of Alien Conquest. Maybe I can turn it into an organic computerbrain or nursery in the core of the alien mothership..

Edited by J.V.D.

So the cheapest way to get all the 4 turtles are: the Lair, Kraang's Escape set and the Shredder set.

And with Just2Good's price predictions that makes 90 EUR. Not too bad I guess :classic:

I :wub: Baxter's mech! And April's minifigure is awesome as well. Please let this line continue through next season when the turtles go into Dimension X. We need a Triceraton minifigure :drool:

Boy, they've really made it hard to get the team. Assembling the Fellowship of the Ring was easier than this.

Okay, there are three small sets: Raphael, Michaelangelo/Krang, and Donatello/Shredder.

The cheapest was to get Leonardo is the Escape set, which also comes with Michaelangelo. CON: I'd lose Krang. PRO: There is a less cool Krang in the set. So on balance, that's the set to get.

Two turtles down, bonus Krang.

I could get the two small sets for Donatello and Raphael, and have bonus Shredder, OR I could get the mech set, and have those two with bonus April and Baxter instead. So it comes down to which bonus characters are cooler: Shredder, or April + Baxter. This Baxter isn't the geek I remember from the 80's so he's down points there, and Shredder is Shredder, so right now it's strongly in Shredder's favour, even though I really want that April and I have a fondness for Lego mech sets (Exo-Force is what ended my Dark Age). I think I'll let the shelf price decide that for me.

I'd like Splinter too, of course, but that set's way out of my price range.

Maybe people are disappointed in part because they grew up with TMNT and were hoping it'd be a theme that'd have more grown-up appeal, but it's pretty clear this is really just for the younger kids (more than usual, a la the SpongeBob sets).

I do think that Krang Lab Escape mech-thing looks pretty cool though. Might pick that one up if the price is right.

As stated above the sets have cool colours and parts but they definitely look like they are targeted at (surprise surprise) Kids who watch nickelodeon. I'm not sure why we are all so surprised as to the "basic" looking quality of the builds.

I think this is a typical case of us AFOLS wanting sets to always be built for us! My nephew who is 9 thinks they are the best thing since coco-pops!

Some of the minfigs are awesome!! I'll be picking them up from bricklink as and when I can. Shredder looks like a must!

Personally I think all the vehicles look horrible so far but hey IMO they aren't targeted at my demographic.

I agree that the vehicles look awful. This is especially true for the Shellraiser and the Stealth Shell. The two vehicles that the turtles are on in the Baxter set (i.e. not the robot) also look terrible. I mean, I can't even figure out whether Raphael is riding a glider or an airplane or something else in that set.

The Shredder Bike is a bit better, but I think I would need to see a 360 degree view on it before making a decision.

The Kraang's Lab set is great because it has three figures. The robot that Kraang is using looks awesome.

Lastly, I really like the turtle lair. It costs less than the Shellraiser but seems many times more fun. You get Splinter and the Dark Ninja (Chris Bradford?), which are unique to that set. The Dark Ninja, which represents an Elite Foot, is also useful for playing scenes from other TMNT storylines.

Honestly, I think the shellraiser set is probably the worst in the whole line - expensive, dogpound is ugly, and the set is not very interesting.

The Dark Ninja, which represents an Elite Foot, is also useful for playing scenes from other TMNT storylines.

Honestly, I think the shellraiser set is probably the worst in the whole line - expensive, dogpound is ugly, and the set is not very interesting.

Actually the elite foot soldier is the foot soldier in the Shellraiser set, Chris Bradford is an martial artist who works for the Foot. Also I actually like Dogpound and that's the only reason why I would buy the shellraiser, for the minifigs. But it's cheaper to bricklink them.

Edited by Jackattack7

It is nice to finally see some more photos of the sets. I am definitely less interested and more interested at the same time. I do think I will skip the larger sets and maybe pick up some of the cheaper sets. I really wouldn't mind getting the figures and typically I just buy the set because it can be cheaper, but I feel there are fewer figures I really want out of this theme and most of the pieces don't look like they could be reused that easily for my purposes. So I will probably just figure out what is cheaper and go that way. I think for my purposes getting Kraang Lab Escape, Shredder Bike, and Baxter Robot Rampage and then just bricklink Leo and maybe Splinter. That way you'll get the 4 turtles and the only bad guys I care about (and April!). I don't care about Fish Face or Dogpound. I'm sure it is similar to the source material (I haven't watched it), but since I'm not the Target audience, then it doesn't really affect me.

But I will say the Lair is much better than the Shellraiser, especially for the price.

It is nice to finally see some more photos of the sets. I am definitely less interested and more interested at the same time. I do think I will skip the larger sets and maybe pick up some of the cheaper sets. I really wouldn't mind getting the figures and typically I just buy the set because it can be cheaper, but I feel there are fewer figures I really want out of this theme and most of the pieces don't look like they could be reused that easily for my purposes. So I will probably just figure out what is cheaper and go that way. I think for my purposes getting Kraang Lab Escape, Shredder Bike, and Baxter Robot Rampage and then just bricklink Leo and maybe Splinter. That way you'll get the 4 turtles and the only bad guys I care about (and April!). I don't care about Fish Face or Dogpound. I'm sure it is similar to the source material (I haven't watched it), but since I'm not the Target audience, then it doesn't really affect me.

But I will say the Lair is much better than the Shellraiser, especially for the price.

I plan on doing pretty much the same, except for me, I will get Kraang Lab, Shredder Bike, and Lair. That gets me all 4 turtles, Splinter, Shredder, a bunch of evil ninjas, and Kraang. I might pick up April on ebay. I am not interested in FishFace or Dogpound either.

By the way, is it better to buy on ebay or bricklink in terms of price?

Edit: I will say that it is great how we could get the main characters in a theme for under $100.

Edited by gundamz

I keep seeing an increase of Donatello and Raphael minifigs on eBay from different people..

-Sci

I'm really happy with how all the sets turned out! The Sewer Lair set is still my favorite of the bunch by far. I love the 'slime' detail!

I'm really happy with how all the sets turned out! The Sewer Lair set is still my favorite of the bunch by far. I love the 'slime' detail!

IMO, that set is highly underrated. It has 6 figures (including the wooden dummy). Comparable sets in other lines might cost $60-70, easily. But, I think the Lair will only be $49.99 (less than the Shellraiser).

Love your sig, BTW. That's how I plan to feed the LEGO fever - FREE Amazon gift cards from my friends.