Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Open again!

Yaeeee! t's back, congrats guys for getting us going again! Now take a weekend break, you deserve it! :laugh:

You're imagining things.

Yeah, it's gone now. (I'm pretty sure I wasn't dreaming though. . . :wink: )

Yaeeee! t's back, congrats guys for getting us going again! Now take a weekend break, you deserve it! :laugh:

Admins get no breaks, there is lots to fix still.

Hallelujah! We are back!

Thanks for all your hard work! It was comforting to know that we had you guys in the staff to take care of all the problems. :thumbup:

It is on DVD, though they completely destroyed the music due to licensing rights, so don't bother. Basically, it's about going back into the past to fix things that effect the future. It might be what some of these games need to do.

I knew I should have picked a more recent reference. :sceptic:

Maybe you should have said Doctor Who, or something.

Maybe you should have said Doctor Who, or something.

What do jelly babies have to do with anything? :wacko:

:grin:

OMG, I was scared when I saw that EB was down. I didn't know what to do all these days! I even started doing something at work! Oh, the horror! :grin:

Seriously, great to be back and thank you, our dear admins, that you're doing a great job in fixing and running our favourite site! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Hurray! :classic: Thank you, Admins. Hopefully, the transition to the new server will be much smoother.

Due to an unfortunate incident we lost 5 days of posts and are now running a backup from last week Wednesday. We are very very sorry for the loss of these 5 days and will do what we can from this happening ever again

How come the latest available backup was 5 days ago?

Can't daily autonomous backups be scheduled by Invision Power Boards? Or is it too resource intensive for a forum this size?

It is on DVD, though they completely destroyed the music due to licensing rights, so don't bother. Basically, it's about going back into the past to fix things that effect the future. It might be what some of these games need to do.

I knew I should have picked a more recent reference. :sceptic:

The Back to the Future trilogy? :laugh:

Glad to be back, sad to have lost all those Heroica posts...oh, well, we'll manage. :grin:

Whoo! :wub_drool:So glad to see Eurobricks back up. Thanks, admins!

How come the latest available backup was 5 days ago?

Can't daily autonomous backups be scheduled by Invision Power Boards? Or is it too resource intensive for a forum this size?

There are 2 kind of backups:

1/ Once a week we take our own full backup of the forum (database and all the files) which is transfered to an external location (in case the server is lost).

2/ The provider takes daily backups -> but this one seemed corrupt after restoring it

So we took the safest solution and restored our own backup.

On the new server I'm hoping the impact of the backup will be much less, and if so we I'll take bi-weekly backups.

All our disks on the server are mirrored, so in case of a disk crash we are also protected. Also on the new server we'll have such protection (RAID 10 over 4 disks of 1TB).

Yay, life is good again, thanks to the admins.

Do you test your disaster recovery procedures from time to time?

Do you test your disaster recovery procedures from time to time?

Actually yes. Last week Wednesday, before the upgrade, I tested our recovery procedure by setting up a test board (copy of the live one) based on a backup.

It's great the forum is back again.

It's pitty that one corrupted daily backup resulted in a one week lost of data. It looks like your provider is overwriting daily backups. Not very nice from him. Backup strategy is usually something like once a week full backup and daily incremental backup. All daily incremental backups are preserved until at least new full backup. So even when one daily incremental file is corrupted and backup is lost, there is a daily backup from previous day. Of course, also more bullet proof strategies are possible. It just depends on the bussiness rules. Transaction log can be also involved in backups (we do a transaction log backup on hourly basis, so in case of "disaster" maximum of one hour of work is lost). Largest production database of one of our customers is about 400GB.

Edited by hrontos

2/ The provider takes daily backups -> but this one seemed corrupt after restoring it

Is the provider at fault for the corruption?

Yeah, thanks to all the admins for all their hard work and for getting the old site back up for us to discuss all the new set pictures while we wait for the new server. :sweet:

What a hell of a time for EB to go down! :laugh:

Going for a few days without Eurobricks made me realise how much I enjoy visiting the site every day and check up on what's happened since I was last here. So thanks to all the people who put a lot of work in to restore the forum. Now it's just a matter of getting used to this layout... :)