Pepa Quin

[MOC] The Millennium Falcon

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I built this 5 years ago, finishing it in June of 2007, but only got around to taking pictures this summer.

7971550558_a7dc44d2f9_z.jpg

This was my third and final version in this scale. The first was built in late 2004 and the second in 2005. Of those two, the second version is still intact.

It took me roughly 3 months to build, and is 36" long, 26" wide, and 9" tall if you don't count the sensor dish. Weight is roughly 25-30 pounds and I estimate the piece count to be between 8,000 and 10,000.

7971552910_59002ed97b_m.jpg 7971553228_cd8135c986_m.jpg 7971554306_ea83e8475e_m.jpg 7971549990_cb96b6abda_m.jpg

The reason I built this for a third time was that I really wanted to get a decent interior section done. While I was able to take the base frame design from my second version, it needed a lot of re-engineering to fit in the main hold section along with a few corridors. This Falcon now has an interior that goes all the way from the cockpit to the main hold.

7971555332_e19d12209a_m.jpg 7971551706_0f3109c5e7_m.jpg 7971551104_5bef1fb7bc_m.jpg 7971551382_5fdf0810de_m.jpg

Modifications since I built it 5 years ago have been light, but I did add in some LifeLites for the engine.

7971550854_d7974bc373_m.jpg 7971550294_287db2b6ab_m.jpg

To see the full, new picture set, click here.

I also have a gallery of older pictures where I detailed the construction of the ship over the three months it took to build.

Enjoy!

-PQ

*oh2* *oh2* That is the greatest Falcon MOC I've ever seen! That interior is just brilliant. I'm interested in how does this go up in scale with the UCS Falcon?

*oh2* *oh2* That is the greatest Falcon MOC I've ever seen! That interior is just brilliant. I'm interested in how does this go up in scale with the UCS Falcon?

See for yourself. :)

2301835498_9355ce8e91_m.jpg

Wow, Amazing *oh2* *oh2* *oh2*

The interior are fantastic :classic: :classic:

I love this Falcon :wub: :wub:

As truly impressive as the exterior is, it's the interior detailing that really sells it for me; I just love seeing something this big that still sweats the little details and rewards the viewer for taking a closer look.

Awesome work.

*oh2*

Speechless!

That falcon is huge! AND has an awesomely detailed interior to match!

I really do love that interior, it captures the essence of the interior on the film =D

Wow, great work, Pepa Quin! This is definitely one of your best MOCs yet! I'd say the greatly detailed interior was definitely worth tackling this challenge for a third time! I especially like how you achieved that round edge. And the LifeLites are just icing on the already awesomely delicious cake!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow, i am in awe... I always considered the official UCS Millennium Falcon to be a nearly perfect representation of the famous ship, but here you come along with your own version that manages to top that! Not only does it improve on the exterior look quite a bit, but it also comes with a beautifully detailed interior that just made me drool! :wub:

What i really like in your version is that you used a more regular approach in creating the segments for the circular hull, compared to the irregular shapes used in the official UCS model. It just looks a bit less random and the way the hull panels (especially the off-colored bits) fan out from the center creates a really nice effect. There are so many beautiful details in this build, each minute i spend looking at the pictures i keep discovering more. You really did a superb job with this build Pepa Quin! :thumbup:

There is really only one thing that stood out to me that i liked less, and that is the sensor dish. Even though i find it impressive that you managed to brick build a convincing representation of the dish, in my opinion it just looks a bit too thick and bulky. Have you considered using the one from the UCS set for your MOC? Or did you prefer a brick built version for a reason?

Wow, i am in awe... I always considered the official UCS Millennium Falcon to be a nearly perfect representation of the famous ship, but here you come along with your own version that manages to top that! Not only does it improve on the exterior look quite a bit, but it also comes with a beautifully detailed interior that just made me drool! :wub:

What i really like in your version is that you used a more regular approach in creating the segments for the circular hull, compared to the irregular shapes used in the official UCS model. It just looks a bit less random and the way the hull panels (especially the off-colored bits) fan out from the center creates a really nice effect. There are so many beautiful details in this build, each minute i spend looking at the pictures i keep discovering more. You really did a superb job with this build Pepa Quin! :thumbup:

There is really only one thing that stood out to me that i liked less, and that is the sensor dish. Even though i find it impressive that you managed to brick build a convincing representation of the dish, in my opinion it just looks a bit too thick and bulky. Have you considered using the one from the UCS set for your MOC? Or did you prefer a brick built version for a reason?

Thanks - and I brick-built the sensor dish for two reasons. 1) Based on the size of the ship, it needed to be 12 studs in diameter (about the same as the cockpit) and 2) I finished this about 3 months or so before that set came out. ;)

I've had the pleasure of seeing this MOC in person. I can assure you these pictures don't do it justice. This thing pwns the UCS set in almost every way.

Thanks - and I brick-built the sensor dish for two reasons. 1) Based on the size of the ship, it needed to be 12 studs in diameter (about the same as the cockpit) and 2) I finished this about 3 months or so before that set came out. ;)

Well, those are two perfectly good reasons to go for a brick built approach alright! :laugh: Still, i can't help but feel that the octagonal shape and thickness make it look a bit crude compared to the very high quality standard set by the rest of the model, and i really hope that a more elegant solution may present itself in the future!

Very impressive model. Very well executed and detailed. Awesome job, my compliments!

This is truly amazing Pepa Quin :wub: . What else can I say that has not already been said. I love the fact that you have produced 3 versions with great improvements each time before Lego released their own version *oh2* . The addition of a wonderful fully detailed interior is brilliant, the curved hallways look so good :drool:. I can see so much time and effort has going into these builds. The more I build MOC's myself I can only start to understand how talented people like yourself produce such fantastic MOC's as it takes up so much time, space and money.

After checking out your flickr account you have some amazing builds and enjoyed checking out your Futurama MOC's :thumbup: . Really give yourself a pat on the back to your efforts, as your truly deserve it.

WOAH best MOC cant believe you actually added a hallway to the cockpit which LEGO doesnt seem to have the sense to do. I wish there were some way fans of Lego could submit their mocs to lego so that it could help with the design process of some lego creations cuz the interior on that Falcon is to die for.

WOAH best MOC cant believe you actually added a hallway to the cockpit which LEGO doesnt seem to have the sense to do. I wish there were some way fans of Lego could submit their mocs to lego so that it could help with the design process of some lego creations cuz the interior on that Falcon is to die for.

That's why we now have Cuusoo :wink: .

Excellent MOC! - of course I have been a fan of it for a looong time :wink: Your MOC together with OceanBlue's UCS Falcon mod was the inspiration of my own USC mod. I have added a LOT of detail inspired by your model, I posted a preliminary report a while back, but I guess I have to show off the whole thing now so I can hear your comments :laugh:

Regarding you size comparison pic - could you take one from the top - your model looks almost twice as big as the official one with this angle, but according to your measurements there are a couple of inches between them :wink:

Excellent MOC! - of course I have been a fan of it for a looong time :wink: Your MOC together with OceanBlue's UCS Falcon mod was the inspiration of my own USC mod. I have added a LOT of detail inspired by your model, I posted a preliminary report a while back, but I guess I have to show off the whole thing now so I can hear your comments :laugh:

Regarding you size comparison pic - could you take one from the top - your model looks almost twice as big as the official one with this angle, but according to your measurements there are a couple of inches between them :wink:

Not any more - I took apart the set a long time ago. :)

The size difference you're seeing is mostly because of volume. While the dimensions may only be longer by a few inches, this translates into a LOT more pieces. Because I tend to overbuild for strength (I've carried this, by hand, to countless shows and conventions), and with far more greebling, I wouldn't be surprised if there's twice as many pieces in my model as in the set.

-M

Not any more - I took apart the set a long time ago. :)

*oh2*

like a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced