Klaus-Dieter

2013 Lone Ranger Sets

Interesting, a translation snippet:

New Release mid April 2013.

The Wild West experience with LEGO from April 2013 a new bloom. With western town and train, coach, air and teepees exciting kits will be created.

Images to be published in March.

If it were only for the fleshy heads I'd say, alright the heck with it, might buy it anyway. But licensed always means one third higher prices.

You know, I see this complaint all the time, and I think it's wildly overblown or just outright false.

Both the licensed themes and LEGO's homegrown original themes always have sets in a wide variety of price points, and at comparable set sizes. Obviously a $49.99 licensed set costs the same as a $49.99 non-licensed set; I presume the canard actually means that we get less in a licensed set than we do in a non-licensed set at the same price point. I'm not convinced this is the case, at least not always.

... I'm not convinced this is the case, at least not always.

I would say that, if you don't want the minifigs, licensed is actually better, since those minifigs sell very well and, even if you don't want to retail yourself, you can probably find someone selling just the sets (no minifigs) at a very good price (per piece at least). I got about $70 worth with minifigs and about $30 without the minifigs (USD). There's no way you could do that with a city set!

The movie is supposed to come out in June, why would the sets come out in April?

The movie was originally going to be in May, but now it's July 3rd, 2013. So this is a bit weird...

The two dangers I see in this theme are flesh parts on the torsos and that the cavalry uniforms probably wont be compatible with the old Western ones. Im pretty surprised that it took a license to get TLG to take another stab at Western...

The two dangers I see in this theme are flesh parts on the torsos and that the cavalry uniforms probably wont be compatible with the old Western ones. Im pretty surprised that it took a license to get TLG to take another stab at Western...

The 'Western' genre is barely in style any more. I don't think kids are really playing 'cowboys and outlaws' so much, not like they once were. There used to be Western movies all the time (though admittedly, it was already dying down by the original Western theme), and now there is maybe one a year or less, usually targeted at adults. I'm not surprised in the least that LEGO wouldn't just decide to have a new Western theme. I think this theme could be quite promising, as long as the sets have some substantial 'set' parts and aren't just trees and rocks, which it thankfully doesn't sound like they will be.

I think this theme will be pretty decent. Some people like licensed sets in general and some people like western in general. I'd prefer more torsos without licensed skin tone just to be used with other themes (similar to most of LOTR torsos). Granted, I am okay with Licensed themes and I don't mind the skin tones. But I think a lot depends on how the sets are presented. People have been wanting a western theme for a while now, even if kids aren't playing like cowboys now. I think LEGO and Disney needed another collaboration and this happened to be it. Granted, I think it will be a bigger hit than PoP.

The 'Western' genre is barely in style any more. I don't think kids are really playing 'cowboys and outlaws' so much, not like they once were. There used to be Western movies all the time (though admittedly, it was already dying down by the original Western theme), and now there is maybe one a year or less, usually targeted at adults.

Couldn't agree more, this is something that I've noticed as well. It will be interesting to see if the Lone Ranger film will spark any new interest in the genre (as Pirates of the Caribbean did for pirates... sort of). The same goes for Lego sets: if there's a lot of interest in the LR sets then maybe we'll see more Western themes in the future.

I would say that, if you don't want the minifigs, licensed is actually better, since those minifigs sell very well and, even if you don't want to retail yourself, you can probably find someone selling just the sets (no minifigs) at a very good price (per piece at least). I got about $70 worth with minifigs and about $30 without the minifigs (USD). There's no way you could do that with a city set!

Indeed, but even putting aside that option (I don't break up and sell off parts of sets, myself; if I keep a set, I keep the whole thing, even if it means having thirty or forty identical minifigures of Indiana Jones, say), I think the licensed sets actually offer comparable value to same-priced non-licensed sets out at the same time.

For example, check out the contents of the 2008/2009 Star Wars battlepacks, and compare them to those of 8401 City Minifigure Collection. All these sets have MSRPs of $9.99, and I'd argue the content of 8401 certainly doesn't outweigh that of, for example, 7668 Rebel Scout Speeder - the latter has both more pieces and larger ones, and makes a more substantial model that 8401's comparatively modest assortment of street fixtures and accessories. These sets were released a year apart, close enough together that inflation shouldn't really be a factor - their product lifetimes overlapped a fair bit.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Guys, why are we falling behind! We usually are the first to find the news. This is like the second time nobody has talked about new LEGO news here first! :tongue:

The site is up on LEGO.com. The figures look great. There's an awesome new skull piece, too. I'm about to hit the hay, so I can't link it (darn the iPhone).

Edited by just2good

Here. Not much too it yet, but they did a good job giving a sneak peak at new parts. Looks like we'll be seeing the tomahawk from the collectible minifigs line and the bag that was with S8 santa, as well as a new cow skull with horns and more realistic pistols. I'm not 100% sold on the pistols, but I guess they don't look too real or action-figure-ish. It's hard to tell if the Lone Ranger's hat is new or just a white Indy hat. Either way, I will be pleased. Bring on more hat choices!

Looks to be a new, too wide at the brim. Though it could be Indy's , might be cuz of the angle. A new Johnny depp figure that's awesome! The hairpiece looks like sparrows with a few changes

I like the new revolvers. and that cow skull is great. I'm not crazy about the outfit in the Ranger. I am more of a traditionalist and prefer the classic Blue Suit.

the new horse in white too. Seems like it would be obvious to have 'Silver' but glad to see it isn't the old horse.

Edited by MikeyB

Thank you

Here. Not much too it yet, but they did a good job giving a sneak peak at new parts. Looks like we'll be seeing the tomahawk from the collectible minifigs line and the bag that was with S8 santa, as well as a new cow skull with horns and more realistic pistols. I'm not 100% sold on the pistols, but I guess they don't look too real or action-figure-ish. It's hard to tell if the Lone Ranger's hat is new or just a white Indy hat. Either way, I will be pleased. Bring on more hat choices!

Thank you for the link!

It is great to know that Western :wub: is back!

Now for the set images to appear!

Edited by Purpearljellyblob

the new horse in white too. Seems like it would be obvious to have 'Silver' but I was hoping it was the old horse.

Why on earth would you want the old horse?? Besides the lack of articulation, it just doesn't look near as nice either. I assume we will be getting nothing but new horses in all future sets regardless of the theme so I would get use to them now. Personally I am glad to finally see some more variety with the new horse mold color.

Wow, I used to love to watch the old B & W reruns when I was a kid and I love Lego now but the licensed stuff really turns me off. Wish Lego would just do their own western thing.

What's up with all this licensed stuff these days? Lego doesn't have confidence, licensed stuff is more profitable, kids and parents look for (demand) it, what?