Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

I think I read everything, but it's still not 100% clear to me whether or not multiple entries is allowed. Did I miss something? I do see "[your] design" several times. However, when I go to the submit page, there is a "My Creations" page, which does clearly suggest more than one entry will be accepted. Does the video clarify that? I can't view it.

What i read is that the red chassis and wheels is the working base and whe must design a body for it, what can be rebuild for kids and adults, so whe can do crazy and juse a lots off parts, but than TLG said it's too expensive, whe must think as a TLG designer and create a great body what have a nice color palet and it's not too expensive.

Olso whe can put 1 entry per person.

Lets hope that the best design wins, and not what the best is for TLG :laugh:

Those two yellow beams connected to the chassis for the body connection are not easily removable, are they? I think that might be a design issue to consider.

Those two yellow beams connected to the chassis for the body connection are not easily removable, are they? I think that might be a design issue to consider.

The springs? :blush:

The springs? :blush:

Oh, no, sorry. I mean the the stock chassis design, it has two yellow technic beams on the top rear:

8039188620_f43778abeb.jpg

They are used for the body connection, so that the body can be tilted off the chassis for access to the battery box. I think those two beams are not easily removable, so that would be something to consider when designing a new body. It seems like they would have to be reused, so that the new body connects in a similar manner as the original design.

pic8954B6BDA1683561337549B9623981E1.png

From this Lego webpage, here are the 2012 Lego Technic Challenge Rules (for ease future reference in this topic):

"LEGO® Technic Co-Creation Competition -- Official Rules and Regulations"

"Before you can enter the Challenge you need to accept the Rules and Regulations below:

Intellectual property rights

By entering this competition you accept that ownership and all intellectual property rights to your design is automatically awarded and transferred to LEGO Juris A/S, Koldingvej 2, 7190 Billund, Denmark without any limitations.

You will not receive any payment for the transfer of your design or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for the products sold in connection hereto.

The LEGO Group can use the design and any intellectual rights deriving from the design without any limitations.

Data Protection

Personal data relating to entrants will be used only for the purpose of this competition unless otherwise clearly stated and accepted by you.

The personal information you have to enter is:

- your name,

- address and telephone nr.,

- e-mail address, and

- name of your parent or legal guardian if you are 12 years or younger.

By entering the Competition, you explicitly confirm that you consent to your personal data being held by the LEGO Group in accordance with our Data Privacy Policy. Your personal data may be processed by companies within the LEGO Group. Please note that the LEGO Group reserves the right to use the names of winners for publicity purposes.

Miscellaneous

By participating in this competition you agree to accept these Terms & Conditions for the Competition.

The LEGO Group takes no responsibility for lost or misdirected entries.

The LEGO Group reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time. Furthermore, the LEGO Group reserves the right to extend, change or terminate the Competition at any time.

Employees of companies in the LEGO Group, agencies and companies associated with the LEGO Group and the immediate families of such employees are not eligible contestants.

How to contact us

This Sweepstakes is sponsored by LEGO System A/S, Aastvej 1, 7190 Billund, Denmark .

You can contact us in relation to the competition by writing a letter to LEGO Consumer Services, Aastvej 1, Billund, Denmark, or by phone 00800 5346 5555 or by writing an e-mail – See www.lego.com under Customer Service .

The competition and Rules will be governed by Danish Law and subject to any right you may have as a consumer to select jurisdiction, any disputes will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of Denmark.

Nothing shall exclude The LEGO Groups liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited under law. The LEGO Group does not otherwise accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrants of the competition or as a result of losing or accepting any prize.

The LEGO Group is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet, or any website, or any combination of these, including any injury or damage to entrants or any other persons computer or mobile phone relating to or resulting from participation in the competition."

From this Lego webpage,

"INSTRUCTIONS

1. Give your creation a Title, Description and Tags (keywords to identify it).

2. Click on the boxes marked ‘Upload Media’ to add pictures or LDD files

(more details on types of files allowed can be found below when you click the ‘Upload Media’ box).

3. Click ‘Submit Creation’.

Before your creation will appear in the Creations section it has to be moderated, which may take a couple of days. To check on the status of your creation click on ‘My Creations’.

GENEREL TERMS AND CONDITIONS

CREATE! SUBMIT! WIN!

For the first time ever, we are giving you the chance to create a design for LEGO Technic! If you win, your design will be used to produce and launch an exclusive, limited edition LEGO Technic set available for sale online!

Here’s what you need to do:

Create a new body design for the LEGO Technic 4x4 Crawler that fits the existing chassis and wheels! You can win the honour of being the best LEGO Technic designer – but no further prizes will be awarded.

You can upload your design from 1st. Of October 2012 until 31st. Of December 2012. Enter using your LEGO ID – see the Submit! Instructions below. If you do not already have a LEGO ID you can create one at https://account.lego.com/en-us/SignIn.aspx

CREATE!

Think like the pros!

Before you start, you need to get into the right frame of mind – you need to think like we do here in the Technic design team:

Ask the right questions!

What does your ideal 4X4 Crawler look like? What separates good design from great design? What do other people want to see? What do other people want to buy?

Get inspired!

Search online, look in books or visit locations where you can look at real life vehicles and get input from experts. Take pictures, do quick sketches or make notes of specific details, shapes or colours that you find interesting.

And remember – keep a note of your ideas as you go along!

Get real!

Now consider which of your designs you could actually build out of Technic elements. Don’t make your design too complicated or too difficult to build – other people have to be able to build your Technic set!

Get focused!

What can you leave out and what do you need left in? Is there some kind of function, design detail or colour that makes more sense than others? Start evaluating your ideas critically!

Get designing!

Create your draft designs using pen and paper or by building models using Technic bricks. Use this process to test a specific colour scheme or to evaluate a curve, line or shape or to test a new function. Sometimes you may come up with a great new function but it won’t fit your overall design. Sometimes you may find a perfect curve or shape that just doesn’t work in a certain colour scheme – Don’t despair! It happens to us all the time! Combine, edit and narrow down your ideas to come up with your final design – just like we do!

Take your time!

When you think you have a finished design, leave it be for a couple of days. Don’t look at it and don’t work on it. Then go back and critically reassess your design. Ask yourself if this is the ideal new look for the 4X4 Crawler? Is this your absolute best effort? If the answer is no, it’s back to the drawing board! If the answer is yes – then you are ready to upload and submit your design!

SUBMIT!

It’s easy! All you have to do is:

1. Go to www.lego.technic.com/campaign

2. Login using your LEGO ID*

3. Upload your fantastic new 4x4Crawler design

Acceptable uploads/design formats include:

• Photos/images/Video (jpg, jpeg, png, gif, avi, mov, wmv, mpg, mpeg, lxf)

• Computer generated designs

• Scan/image of designs & illustrations created on paper

Remember: Your design must be uploaded before Midnight, 31.12.2012 CET!

*If you don’t have a LEGO ID create one at https://account.lego.com/en-us/SignIn.aspx

WIN!

To win, your design will need to be selected for the competition shortlist by the LEGO Technic Jury. The Jury will select ten finalists from amongst all the submissions based on the following criteria:

• Overall coolness

• Inspired design details

• Design that people will purchase

• A great colour scheme

• Buildable using existing LEGO Technic elements

• Well thought out functions

• The relationship between your age and your design

We want you to make your design as amazing as possible. However, you need to consider the following when creating your design:

• Designs for military vehicles or vehicles featuring weapons will not be eligible for the competition

• Copies of or design infringements relating to any existing third party property or any other intellectual property right(s) will not be eligible for the competition

We will do our very best to follow your design as closely as possible. However, we have to make sure that:

• We can manufacture the colours you suggest

• Others can build the final model and we can create easy to follow building instructions

• Your design can be built using existing LEGO Technic elements

• The final model is safe to play with

• The frame and mechanics of the 4X4 Crawler, model no 9398, will support your design

To meet the above criteria, we may not be able to follow your design down to every last detail. For safety or other reasons, we may have to change the way a function works and there is a limit to how many bricks we can fit on to the frame. There is also a limit to how heavy, wide, long and high the final model can be, as well as a limit to how many bricks we can fit in the final box.

Between the first and the tenth of January 2013 the LEGO Technic Jury will select the Top 10 candidates that you can vote for online using your LEGO ID – your vote will go toward determining which of the Top 10 is to be produced and launched!

The Top 10 candidates must accept to transfer all intellectual property rights as outlined below. The LEGO Group will contact the Top 10 candidates directly.

Online voting opens on 09 February and closes on 22 February. The winning design will be announced on 22 February 2013. No further prizes will be awarded.

Our design team will work together with the competition winner to develop and build the winning version of the LEGO Technic 4x4 Crawler. The winning design will be produced in a limited edition of 20,000 and will be available online for pre-order from 1 July 2013 at http://shop.lego.com/

Dates to remember

• 31 December 2012 – Last chance to upload your design!

• 9 January 2013 – Short List announced by the LEGO Technic Jury

• 22 January 2013 – Last chance to vote for your favourite short-listed design!

• 22 February 2013 – The winner is announced!

• 22 March 2013 – Online Presentation of the completed 4x4 Crawler special build

• 01 July 2013 – Pre-orders open!

• 01 August 2013 – Official worldwide launch of the winning 4x4 Crawler design

Intellectual property rights

By entering this competition you accept that ownership and all intellectual property rights to your design is automatically awarded and transferred to LEGO Juris A/S, Koldingvej 2, 7190 Billund, Denmark without any limitations.

You will not receive any payment for the transfer of your design or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for the products sold in connection hereto.

The LEGO Group can use the design and any intellectual rights deriving from the design without any limitations.

Data Protection

Personal data relating to entrants will be used only for the purpose of this competition unless otherwise clearly stated and accepted by you.

The personal information you have to enter is:

- your name,

- address and telephone nr.,

- e-mail address, and

- name of your parent or legal guardian if you are 12 years or younger.

By entering the Competition, you explicitly confirm that you consent to your personal data being held by the LEGO Group in accordance with our Data Privacy Policy. Your personal data may be processed by companies within the LEGO Group. Please note that the LEGO Group reserves the right to use the names of winners for publicity purposes.

Miscellaneous

By participating in this competition you agree to accept these Terms & Conditions for the Competition.

The LEGO Group takes no responsibility for lost or misdirected entries.

The LEGO Group reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time. Furthermore, the LEGO Group reserves the right to extend, change or terminate the Competition at any time.

Employees of companies in the LEGO Group, agencies and companies associated with the LEGO Group and the immediate families of such employees are not eligible contestants.

How to contact us

This Sweepstakes is sponsored by LEGO System A/S, Aastvej 1, 7190 Billund, Denmark .

You can contact us in relation to the competition by writing a letter to LEGO Consumer Services, Aastvej 1, Billund, Denmark, or by phone 00800 5346 5555 or by writing an e-mail – See www.lego.com under Customer Service .

The competition and Rules will be governed by Danish Law and subject to any right you may have as a consumer to select jurisdiction, any disputes will be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of Denmark.

Nothing shall exclude The LEGO Groups liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited under law. The LEGO Group does not otherwise accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrants of the competition or as a result of losing or accepting any prize.

The LEGO Group is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet, or any website, or any combination of these, including any injury or damage to entrants or any other persons computer or mobile phone relating to or resulting from participation in the competition."

Really, they don't even send you one copy for free as a prize? :hmpf_bad:

I don't like this Technic challenge (just a personal point of view)

And here I thought it might be cool to build something for it, not that I think I would stand a chance considering the other builders out there. BUT THIS IS LAME !!!!! I,m gonna pass, sorry LEGO your idea is BS

Dan

From this Lego webpage,

Create a new body design for the LEGO Technic 4x4 Crawler that fits the existing chassis and wheels! You can win the honour of being the best LEGO Technic designer – but no further prizes will be awarded.

WIN!

To win, your design will need to be selected for the competition shortlist by the LEGO Technic Jury. The Jury will select ten finalists from amongst all the submissions based on the following criteria:

• Overall coolness

• Inspired design details

• Design that people will purchase

• A great colour scheme

• Buildable using existing LEGO Technic elements

• Well thought out functions

• The relationship between your age and your design

We want you to make your design as amazing as possible. However, you need to consider the following when creating your design:

• Designs for military vehicles or vehicles featuring weapons will not be eligible for the competition

• Copies of or design infringements relating to any existing third party property or any other intellectual property right(s) will not be eligible for the competition

We will do our very best to follow your design as closely as possible. However, we have to make sure that:

• We can manufacture the colours you suggest

• Others can build the final model and we can create easy to follow building instructions

• Your design can be built using existing LEGO Technic elements

• The final model is safe to play with

• The frame and mechanics of the 4X4 Crawler, model no 9398, will support your design

To meet the above criteria, we may not be able to follow your design down to every last detail. For safety or other reasons, we may have to change the way a function works and there is a limit to how many bricks we can fit on to the frame. There is also a limit to how heavy, wide, long and high the final model can be, as well as a limit to how many bricks we can fit in the final box.

Between the first and the tenth of January 2013 the LEGO Technic Jury will select the Top 10 candidates that you can vote for online using your LEGO ID – your vote will go toward determining which of the Top 10 is to be produced and launched!

:angry:darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg:cry_sad:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

So, you can not have any new parts, nor new colors, and no actual vehicles. And you have to use the crawler chassis. I thought for sure that this would be a cool challenge, but no. Our worst fears came true. I'm still entering, but this is not what we wanted.

On a somewhat related note, does anybody want my .lxf version of the chassis? It may or may not be accurate, but it would be helpful if you either don't have the crawler, or don't want to take it apart.

I think TLG have NO designers anymore and this contest is the most cost reducing way to cut in there budget. :thumbdown::sick:

I wil past for this contest and hope that TLG will come up for a good contest the next time!!??

if it is going like the last posts then there will tlg dont have to choose the ten best entries. because there are only two afols and 7 kiddies made an entry :laugh:

Its stupid, you bust your butt build something to put on top of their chassie, and if you win you get nothing but a pat on the back, your name on the box maybe. I might buy one seeing as it will be a collectors set for sure due to low number of sets beign released. In the past I know they gave out nice prize packs, must be getting cheap. I just got a crawler last week, its sitting on my dresser now and will be for a while, LOL. I had a really cool idea, but this and the copy right laws would not work for me any ways. I dont think Chyrsler would like LEGO to produce a jeep wrangler model with out thier ok either.

Dan

if it is going like the last posts then there will tlg dont have to choose the ten best entries. because there are only two afols and 7 kiddies made an entry :laugh:

Than you have almost allready win Effe :laugh:

i dont think so, because i will not build a offroader with big spoilers, cowbar and exhaust pipes. ok, it will have one exhaust pipe :tongue:

Wow, I'm stunned that you guys are so negative about this contest.

What can be bad about designing a cool top for the 4x4 Crawler?

If you feel so strongly about it, then why not just ignore the contest instead of spewing out acid? :sceptic:

Wow, I'm stunned that you guys are so negative about this contest.

What can be bad about designing a cool top for the 4x4 Crawler?

If you feel so strongly about it, then why not just ignore the contest instead of spewing out acid? :sceptic:

I wouldn't worry about it. You can't please everybody; there will always be negative reactions no matter what you do. It's like politics. No matter what you believe in, or how strongly you believe in it, there will always be another person who believes the exact opposite. Personally, although the competition is not exactly what I had hoped it would be, I'm still excited to participate and appreciate the unique opportunity.

I think people are primarily upset because the subject of this contest had already been known for many months and people were hoping for something different when it was officially announced.

I also think people would much rather see a new model than a reboot of one that already exists. I don't have a problem with this contest as I think it will be great for boosting Crawler sales, but I can see why others may not think it is so spectacular.

Edited by Meatman

I just find it disapointing, I know there are a lot AFOL,s out there that could build something great, but with this contest there are so many rules, I think most will sit it out. I could be wrong, but thats just my 2 cents. I may work on something, but right now I dont have a lot of free time.

As Technic AFOL I preffer to use my time thinking on suspensions, gearboxes, trasmisions, steering systems or machines not on tops for a chassis, maybe for a Model Team challenge it would be good and I feel free to write it.