Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

is it allowed to add some parts to the portalhubs to mount a mudguard direct on the portalhub? or is it neccessary to build a body which is completele removable by pulling out some pins?

is it allowed to add some parts to the portalhubs to mount a mudguard direct on the portalhub? or is it neccessary to build a body which is completele removable by pulling out some pins?

I assume as long as the battery box is easily accessable then the entire body wouldn't necessarily need to be removable. But I'm sure that will be specified in the rules when that gets released.

Worst. Case. Scenario.

What a disappointment! How can this even be classed as a technic challenge if there's no real scope for functionality? It's just a styling exercise!

We should hold our own crawler based build challenge!

Please note that "...build anything on top of it [the chassis]. Of course it doesn't need to look like a 4x4 Crawler. The LEGO Technic team is eager to see which models the fans will come up with and which functions you can add to this model." Consider Mahjqa's Stilzkin Bridge Launcher (pictured below). Of course it's HIS MOC, but why couldn't a 4WD, 4WS version be considered by TLG? After all, some real Bridge Launchers are wheeled vehicles.

thumb640x360.jpgTatra_Bridge_Czech_Republic_Bhana_2004_01.jpg

The 9398 chassis is only meant to be a PLATFORM for something "cool" -- everyone has 3 months to submit a good entry! :wink: It's been only one day since the nature of the Challenge has been revealed. There are MANY talented AFOLs on this forum who could design GREAT tops for the 9398 chassis -- you don't want some TFOL to win, don't you? :grin: C'mon, give it a try!

5464270270_d06fec2b65.jpg1311101781m_SPLASH.jpg

Dluders, be sure, i am working currently on something cool. and it will be no crawler, but something flat and fast looking, with some functions on top

i think a bridge launcher will look odd, or do you think we can add some axles?

Edited by efferman

@ efferman: It's great that you are going to submit an entry! I know that you have been experimenting with the 9398 4x4 more than anybody else.

I don't believe that additional axles will be allowed, but we'll have to wait for the official Challenge Rules (which may be released in less than 24 hours). The 9398's chassis "platform" could lend itself to many creations, such as a wheeled version of something like Sariel's Lego Technic Moon Rover, with scientific experiments and sampling arms on board:

1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that the challenge is only a styling exercise! The proportions of the crawler, in my opinion, are all wrong. However, I do remember something in the TechnicBricks writeup about modifying parts. This could very well mean that we could get new wheels, and there is another mention about submitting sketches, so this challenge could be pretty good yet. I've already got some pretty good.... Oh come on!. I thought that building a Halo Warthog would be a good idea, but then I remembered that Megabloks has the copyright! :cry_sad: Frickin' Megabloks, always spoiling it for us Lego fans. :thumbdown: However, working with the abjectly terrible proportions of the Crawler, and the less than good axle design, is going to be annoying :wall: fun :sarcasm: .

Please Dluders, stop posting pictures in every your comment.I have mobile and this is so annoying.Is not necessary postinpicture everywhere.Post link instead.

@ Ondra: If you have something to contribute to this topic, please do so. It bothers me that ~two-thirds of the AFOLs commenting (so far) are giving up on the "Challenge". PICTURES of possible creations may lend to IMAGINATION.

I'm sure TLG is monitoring this topic to see whether a TECHNIC Limited Edition set could succeed (or not). This is a modest, conservative attempt by TLG to cater to Technic AFOLS, and could lead to BIGGER THINGS in the future. Do you want rare Technic parts to be offered again, in the colors you want? Now is your chance....

@DLuders: I most certainly haven't given up. If I can't come up with anything else, I'll just recoler the set in teal, teal and yellow. Mmmm... Teal...

athumb.jpg

Please Dluders, stop posting pictures in every your comment.I have mobile and this is so annoying.Is not necessary postinpicture everywhere.Post link instead.

you can disable loading images (and then selectively load images) in your browser configuration.

there is no need to make DLuders stop posting images.

In the "Comments" portion of his TechnicBRICKS article, Fernando Correia (Conchas) answered some our the questions posed on Eurobricks:

Question #1: "Can you get clarification from The Lego Group about whether the COLORS of the 9398's chassis can be changed? When you wrote that "Just what you need is to keep the chassis....You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis", does that mean that we cannot CHANGE the COLORS used on the chassis at all?"

Question #2: "Is it allowed to add some parts to the portalhubs to mount a mudguard direct on the portalhub? or is it neccessary to build a body which is completely removable by pulling out some pins?"

His reply:

"Ok, I'll have the opportunity to check that tomorrow.

"I had already asked about the possibility to change the color of the chassis, but to be honest I'm not sure now about what the answer was. Think it is not allowed, but I'll confirm it again.

"In general I think you should not be too worried about the details now. There will be more information about where to start, what could be changed and what could not, etc.

"Nevertheless bear in mind the model will be reviewed to fit the LEGO building frames and then anything could be changed or adapted to make it fit.

Once you can participate in many ways, such as drawings, general models, LEGO models (complete or just the top concept), I guess it not even need to fit perfectly on the chassis. It must be later adapted though.

What you need to focus on, is to present something that will catch the voters attention and support, and that's buildable on top of the Crawler chassis, so that the LEGO Technic Designers could produce it later on. Otherwise it won't get into the selected 10 models for the final votation, even if it gets into the 100 most voted proposals by the fans.

Greetings from Skaerbaek/Billund!

Fernando"

Edited by DLuders

Hi,

I, as well as others, think it's about time we get a positive spin on this. It's a great opportunity to get a relaunch of old parts, or maybe even new or modified parts. I know the crawler isn't the best base to work from, but there is a lot of cool possibilities. I've added a few pictures to get your wheels turning. I haven't got the set my self (was thinking of waiting for chrismas), but now I will buy it just to enter the competition...

0.jpgANDROS_robot.jpgT1h3dFXc0BXXcO1QZ2_045053.jpgUSA%20_%20John%20Deere%20_%20R-Gator%20u3q.jpg110CC-Mini-ATV-Quad-ATV-50C-.jpg

Does anyone know if it's only one entry pr person, or can I have several entries?

-ED-

I personally think this contest exists in direct response to some wishes here on Eurobricks. Many of us (myself included) have been asking for "expansion packs" for some of the bigger models to extend functionality and add things that would not have been feasible at the price point of the main model. I think this is an attempt to answer that. We can't realistically expect LEGO to produce an entire fan created set from a contest, but a limiited edition expansion set is more reasonable. I do not think of this as just a styling exercise. We have a battery box available here, so there is no reason the new body can't tap into that power and add motorized features. But we don't have to be limited to motorization. We could add pneumatic features as well. And I like the idea of changing the tires. From what I can tell, the contest is pretty open in terms of what can be proposed, so we might as well go crazy and suggest whatever we can imagine. I'd like to see a lot of rare parts used and some panels and flex axles in new colors (but not pink). And chrome! And a micromotor! In fact, I'd like the whole new body to be built from yellow 1x6 thin liftarms, black 19L flex axles, yellow 1x2 thin liftarms, yellow #4 connectors, and orange panels and axle connectors in every size. I'd buy all 20,000!

Although I personally like the idea, I would guess anything that looks like a weapons system is going to be rejected (like the Annihilator).

ok, no other tires and based on the 9398 chassis. no more rules visible. my idea is not illegal, so i can do it.

lets go

ähm, if someone wins with a real model, what happens with this model? did tlg rebuild it alone from pictures or is there a need to send them the model?

Edited by efferman

You're right Blakbird! It even says in the video about what functions that you would like to add to your model.