lowbike1

Brickcon 2012

Anybody going?

What should I expect? How much cash should I bring? Are there a lot of people selling stuff?

Is it worth the trip from Canada?

Anybody going?

What should I expect? How much cash should I bring? Are there a lot of people selling stuff?

Is it worth the trip from Canada?

Sadly this is the first time I will not be going since 2006. :cry_sad: It is totally worth going and the usual van full of VicLUGers will be heading down from Victoria.

Bring as much cash as you want to spend and keep in mind that just crossing the border drops prices 20-30%. Add in the usual convention discount and you will be paying around 50% of the regular Canadian price for brand new LEGO from the LEGO store. There are also vendors at the convention with BrickArms having a huge space and usually giving away some freebies.

Expect to meet lots of interesting people, see lots of fantastic MOCs and listen to some informative and hopefully entertaining speakers. Sign up for building contests and ask someone to direct you to Pagliacci's Pizza and Dick's Burgers. The two favorite quick food places for my son and I when we go.

Yup, I am planning to be there...with my new knee! It is quite hilly downtown, so the gals may want to leave their 6 inch heels at home.

Seattle is a lot of fun, so you won't be bored for sure! Just bring a good rain jacket and an umbrella and some waterproof shoes because it can rain for days. But when the sun does pop out, it is stunning with the nearby mountains, ocean, and lakes.

Anyone else from EB coming to Seattle?

I'm 99% sure I'm going, i was looking through the Flickr album of last yrs, looks pretty incredible!

What does the Lego booth do there? are they selling stuff? giving stuff away?

the brickcon website is somewhat vague about the public exhibition.

Seattle is a beautiful city, one of my favorite places I've ever been. we are going to try to do the underground tour while we are there as well

I'm 99% sure I'm going, i was looking through the Flickr album of last yrs, looks pretty incredible!

What does the Lego booth do there? are they selling stuff? giving stuff away?

the brickcon website is somewhat vague about the public exhibition.

Seattle is a beautiful city, one of my favorite places I've ever been. we are going to try to do the underground tour while we are there as well

Booth: The last couple of years the LEGO booth has been nothing but a small static display usually including a new set they unveil during the con (ie: Kingdom Joust, Medieval Market Village and Imperial Flagship which were all unveiled at past BrickCons).

Free Stuff: The con itself gives away a lot of stuff including lots and lots of door prizes and "thrown prizes" during the opening and closing ceremonies and the keynote.

Public Exhibition: nothing vague about it. The public can come in for limited hours on Saturday and Sunday and it is a zoo. Best time to do things like the underground tour and other "off-site" activities. It can be fun interacting with the public but it does wear you out pretty fast.

Davey and I have booked our plane tickets and are very excited for Brickcon this year. default_satisfied.gif

Stacy,

If you want to plan a Friends event for the gals, I would be glad to help you with it. Could you consider something similar to what you did at Brickworld? It would be a great way to meet the other gals at the show. Cheers!

I'm so jealous of all you guys and gals going. I've always wanted to attend Brickcon (especially when I lived on the west coast). There's always next year!

After such a great time at Brickworld, I was planning on coming to Brickcon... but things aren't looking good. I was going to crash at a friends and that invitation looks to be revoked :cry_sad:

But I'll definitely look to head to west coast next year, either BrickCon or Bricks by the Bay.

After such a great time at Brickworld, I was planning on coming to Brickcon... but things aren't looking good. I was going to crash at a friends and that invitation looks to be revoked :cry_sad:

But I'll definitely look to head to west coast next year, either BrickCon or Bricks by the Bay.

Wow! Maybe some other generous soul will offer you shelter during BrickCon. It sounds too good to miss. And would certainly benefit from your fine builds.

How are the airfares looking from Toronto to Seattle these days? It might be worth a try on Priceline if demand is low as I suspect. Or if you really are lucky, maybe someone who loves very much you has some extra points to get you a free ticket! GOOD LUCK!

My Brothers want to camp :oh:

We are just going to go Saturday morning for the public exibition, the convention part would be pretty sweet, but I cant take the time off work or justify the cost either...

There's always next year!

Well, I think I'm telling myself that for four years now... Well there's always next year :tongue:

How are the airfares looking from Toronto to Seattle these days? It might be worth a try on Priceline if demand is low as I suspect.

Expensive :-/

My Brothers want to camp :oh:

We are just going to go Saturday morning for the public exibition, the convention part would be pretty sweet, but I cant take the time off work or justify the cost either...

The public is cool cause you get to see all the display,

but really the events are all about the non-public hours, the time when you get to spend with the AFOLs.

what the agony and struggles of setting up and rebuilding your crushed displays!

or watch the agony and struggles of getting up after an all night build-bender....

I would seriously recommend signing up as an attendee and hanging out one of the non public days... even if you're not there the entire weekend.

Well, I think I'm telling myself that for four years now... Well there's always next year :tongue:

... If you're going to going to come stateside, you should go to Brickworld. There's a slightly large EB contingent ...

Just saying :laugh:

Stacy,

If you want to plan a Friends event for the gals, I would be glad to help you with it. Could you consider something similar to what you did at Brickworld? It would be a great way to meet the other gals at the show. Cheers!

Anu Pehrson is planning a round table for the ladies at Brickcon this year, not sure if she's got any other FFOL activities planned, but if I hear anything I'll let you know for sure. I haven't checked the schedule lately to see when/where it is, but I'll be there default_classic.gif

OMG no way! Don't do it. The full convention fee is not that bad and you get goodies! Plus the public hours are a crowded zoo and it is worth it even if you can only be there one day. You can get into the hall before or after public hours and actually get close to the MOCs and talk to other AFOLs and avoid some of the crazy lines that form around the vendors.

Do it quick so you can get your brick badge!

... If you're going to going to come stateside, you should go to Brickworld. There's a slightly large EB contingent ...

Just saying :laugh:

We'll see :wink:

Well.

10 days makes all the difference... After a no go, several days of scheming, begging and bribing I'll going to BrickCon!

Everyone's favourite* Sci-Fi Reg is heading to west coast!

I should be landing in late Thurs - how long does the meet and greet go till?

Hope to see some new and old faces there!

*also only Sci-fi reg

We'll see :wink:

You should totally come Brickworld - its like the unofficial North American EB event!

Simon,

WAY TO GO!

We won't ask for the details of just how you did it!

Everyone at Brickcon will want to check out the new Chihuly Glass Garden and House at Seattle Center if you have not yet seen it.

It is expensive at $26. a day, but well worth it. It just opened to raves in late May and requires a night visit as well to get the full impact of the glass sighted with the Space Needle behind it...in the dark.

(If anyone knows how to access coupons to lower the cost of visiting this place, please post it for all of us who don't live in King County and qualify for the $15. resident ticket.) Cheers!

Edited by Legogal

You should totally come Brickworld - its like the unofficial North American EB event!

I'll defenitely keep that in mind :wink:

I'll be going for my first time, having just found out about it this year.

Is there going to be any kind of EB meet-up there?

I'll be going for my first time, having just found out about it this year.

Is there going to be any kind of EB meet-up there?

It'll be my first time too!

There won't be any official EB events, but if someone wants to randomly choose a time and spot, I will be there!

Any thoughts on where to meet? I'm not overly familiar with the area, so I don't have any suggestions.

Any thoughts on where to meet? I'm not overly familiar with the area, so I don't have any suggestions.

There is a special room (Shaw room this year) set aside for casual meetups, trading etc or are you looking for food/drink? The Castle crew meets up every year @ 5:00 on Friday at the castle display and heads out to dinner somewhere. I would suggest you do something similar ie:meet up in the Shaw room @ noon on Saturday or Sunday and go for lunch.

Dicks is a local hamburger chain that serves classic burgers and shakes for cheap and is one of two places I make sure to go to every year. Smaller, but still great food is Pagliacci's Pizza. Both are located a couple of blocks west of the site (directions should be available).

I have been bringing my son (now 14) every year since 2007 so I cannot suggest a good pub as I haven't really tried them but if you ask I am sure one can be recommended.