MikeyB

BookII Varlyrio Guild: Homepage (currently not open for new members)

Here is my entry for the 5th Guild that was teased about a few days ago in the Design a 5th Guild Challenge Thread

Guild: Varlyrio

Varlyrio-map-M.jpg

Guild Location: (relative to Historica) Ten days sailing west of Avalonia

History: Varlyrio has been established for as long as the salt breeze has blessed its Western shores. The island has been mostly unified for hundreds of years under the Rego. The current Rego, Amancio family has ruled for generations. The island’s isolation has allowed its citizens to concentrate on infrastructure and art. Most interaction between Varlyrio and the other guilds have been primarily centered in the trade of goods. Varlyrion jewels, stone and metal work is well known and highly sought after. As such, there are many pirates that try to pray on merchant vessels sailing to and from Varlyrio. The Varlyrion Navy has been battling them for years and often provides safe passage for Varlyrion and other ships around the Island.

The Coluna Mountains have long been the home of the Dwarven Stoneheart clan. There is a good relationship between the Varlyrions and Dwarves and they are prosperous trade partners. The Dwarves, often with the assistance of the Varlyrion Army, have a history of battle the orcs that live along the eastern part of the Coluna Mountains. The orcs have been only a nuisance over the years, raiding random travelers in the mountains but recently they have begun raiding in larger numbers and to include caravans, small villages and working camps.

Recent events on the mainland of Historia have caused concern for Amancio. He is monitoring the situation closely and has drawn up contingency plans if needed.

Capital: Illyria, the capital, is a city of canals and many of the residents have made their wealth as merchants. Most the trade and travel is done by gondolas inside the capital.

Varlyrio16-M.jpg

Unique characteristics: Varlyrions are as comfortable on the water as on land. They love art, music and entertainment but are disciplined warriors with a large navy and trade economy. As well as the navy, the capital also is home to the Corisar, the Army of Varlyrio.

The elite Corisar guard, known as the Garra, wears golden clad morion helmets and breast plates and act as bodyguard for the Rego and guardians of the capital, Illyria.

Color scheme and citizens: White and Gold

Varlyrio20-M.jpg

Members of the Garra, the elitie unit in the Corisar, the Army of Varlyrio, with the Varlyrion standard

varlyrio5-M.jpg

gondola with two merchants peddling their goods, crabs, lemons and cherries.

varlyrio6-M.jpg

A troupe of musicians: singer, lute and hand accordion

varlyrio8-M.jpg

Life in the Capital of Illyria

varlyrio4-M.jpg

Two residents enjoy a game of strategy and cunning

varlyrio14-M.jpg

A trio of musicians serenade a lady of Illyria

Races:

• Human - Mostly along the western coast as well as the quarries and settlements along the Coluna mountains
  • Dwarves – The Stoneheart Clan live deep in the Coluna Mountains. Allied with the Varlyrions they have set up a prosperous trade agreement with one another.
  • Orcs – several small clans live on the eastern edge of the Coluna Mountains. Over the last generation or so the orcs have kept to themselves, harassing only the smallest of traveling parties but recently they have begun to become more organized and have began raiding larger caravans and villages.
  • Minotaurs - Small clans dot the Inland sea. The clans are largely neutral and often keep to themselves. But several minotaurs have left their homelands and have been known to join pirate crews or act as hired guards for merchant caravans or ships.

Geography: Varlyrio is a large island nearly 300 miles at its widest point. The island is divided into to two varied climates, separated by a large mountain range, the Coluna Mountains. Most the population is settled along the west coast in several villages and cities, including the Capital Illyria. The land in the west is fertile and produces olive, citrus fruits, grapes (and wine) along with many vegetables. An abundance of fish and seafood is available. Whaling is a prosperous business. Sheep and goats are the principal domestic herd animals. Wild life includes many types of fowl, deer, and boars. There are several quarries near the Coluna Mountain that provide granite, marble and other stone, along with gold, silver and precious gems that is transported to the cities around Varlyrio and beyond.

The eastern half of Varlyrio is mostly uninhabited due to its generally harsh enviroment but there are small settlements of brave entrepreneurs, adventures and pirates that prey on the ships that venture to and from Historica.

The Inland Sea is mostly rocky with sparse grass and little water. There are several wild and dangerous beasts that live in the lands but only the bravest and most stanch Varlyrions will venture there without a small army and long supply train.

The mountain range that cuts the island in two is known as the Coluna Mountains and stone, coal, precious metals and gems are produced and transported down the river or the Mountain Road to the capital city.

Economy: Varlyrio is very prosperous as a whole, primarily due to its rich quantity of precious gems, gold and silver and its fine stone quarries. With these riches, trade of all sorts flourished. The main internal trade is fish and seafood, gold, silver, gems, stone including granite and marble. Whaling is also a prosperous trade for its meat, ivory and oils. Fruits and vegetables are abundant due to the mild climates and fertile lands.

Fine arts are also a large part of Varlyio. Musicians, entertainers, painters, sculptures, and jewelers are well known throughout the guilds. It Architects and builders are known as fine craftsmen building lavish buildings

Leader of the 5th Guild. Amancio is the ruler of Varlyrio. Commonly referred to as Rego, or King in the common tongue, his father was Rego before him as his father was for several generations. When he was young, he was an apprentice on a merchant vessel although his identity was hidden as he traveled and traded with Historia. He later became Captain of the flagship of the Varlyrion navy after coming through the ranks. When his father died and he became Rego.

He married his long time sweetheart, Ercilia. They have two sons, Baltasar and Atilio, and a daughter, Aurora. Baltasar and Atilio are young captains in the Varyrion navy while Aurora is coming of age but has a strong spirit of adventure. Baltasar is the oldest and as such, will become Rego when the time comes.

varlyrio2-M.jpg

Rego Amancio

More photos at this link

Edited by MikeyB

Wow Mikey! This is just incredible! :wub: Love the colour scheme on that house! The roof is great and fits well into the house! The inhabitants looks great!

My only problem is that you should start using Flickr now! :wink: I want to favourite these pics! :thumbup:

I hope you realize that dark red and gold is the Nocturnus color scheme. Other than that, fine job!

Is it really? I thought it was red and gold. Guess Ill edit that, didn't like my photo of the standard anyhow!

My favorite of the entries so far, hands down. Totally digging the Mediterranean vibe! Just don't change the standard to White and Gold (*ahem*...Just saying.)

Oh yes, this just another entry I might go for instantly!! I really like the idea of a venice/tenochtitlan kind of city and your map is also very convincing. This means I'will have a very tough time deciding wich one I'll like better. Man, you really made desicion making a hard one!! :thumbup:

That's awesome! Especially all the inhabitants, I love the rich-medieval style you gave to it all! :thumbup:

Is it really? I thought it was red and gold. Guess Ill edit that, didn't like my photo of the standard anyhow!

You're right Mikey- Nocturnus regular ol' red and gold. It might still be too similar though. Dark red and white maybe?

Excellent work though. Really nice!!

You're right Mikey- Nocturnus regular ol' red and gold. It might still be too similar though. Dark red and white maybe?

Excellent work though. Really nice!!

I was thinking Dk red and black or Black and Gold.

Thanks everyone for the complements

I really like this. I might have to borrow some of those architectural detail's in the future. Nice job. :thumbup: Where did you get so much dark red from? Or does it just look dark?

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

I really like this. I might have to borrow some of those architectural detail's in the future. Nice job. :thumbup: Where did you get so much dark red from? Or does it just look dark?

I got them on my last trip to a Lego store (on a trip to Orlando) they had Dk Red 1x2 bricks on the wall. I bought a large PaB cup nearly full of just them.

Great stuff Mikey I like the mediterranean feeling it has. :thumbup: The tower and ornamentation are really well executed as are the figs! But the gondola looks a bit "simple" next to such a beautifull building, I think it deserves just a little bit more attention.

Great entry Mikey! I love the vignette, but I am really jealous that they had Dark Red 1x2's when you were there....every time I hit the wall it seems there are no rare colors of any bricks :angry:

Great stuff Mikey I like the mediterranean feeling it has. :thumbup: The tower and ornamentation are really well executed as are the figs! But the gondola looks a bit "simple" next to such a beautifull building, I think it deserves just a little bit more attention.

this one is a working gondola and there for very utilitarian ;) Actually you caught me there. I actually have ordered a few more pieces to make it a bit more ornate. But Wasn't sure when they were going to come in and with the weather here in the Southeast lately, I might need a real boat soon!

Edited my colors from dark red and gold to white and gold so they were more unique an unlike the other guilds.

Edited my first post but here is a shot of soldiers of the Corisar, the Army of Varlyrio, with the new standard

Varlyrio20-M.jpg

I really like how detailed and fleshed out your 5th guild is - the map and the extra pics of the gondala and townsfolk add a lot. But then perhaps i am biased, 'cause it reminds me quite a bit of our forces and architecture here in Peregrinus! Perhaps we are a long-lost offshoot from Varlyrio? :wink:

Still time for other entries- but I really like this one.

Maybe I am just a sucker for dark red- I don't know- but this is rockin'!

I really like how detailed and fleshed out your 5th guild is - the map and the extra pics of the gondala and townsfolk add a lot. But then perhaps i am biased, 'cause it reminds me quite a bit of our forces and architecture here in Peregrinus! Perhaps we are a long-lost offshoot from Varlyrio? :wink:

I thought about that too, but I think this is more "mediterranean" and less "middle eastern" than Peregrinus.

Btw the gold and white does work better :thumbup:

Still time for other entries

I'm expecting a lot of last minute entries, as usual :tongue:

Edited by Ecclesiastes

Thanks for everyone's kind words.

and I was going for Venice and Mediterranean coast vibe on the architecture. Another influence was the floating market in Thailand

EDIT sorry about the photo size here is a link

http://thailover.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/flickr-thailand-floating-market1.jpg

I have quite a few ideas for this guild and buildings. I keep looking at the new star wars planets and thinking they would make good "marble" domes for roofs of some buildings. the Navy, Dwarven mines and traders, pirate hideouts, Orc tribes not to mention the merchant and commerce builds possibilities.

Edited by MikeyB