WhiteFang

REVIEW: 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8

On a scale of 1 to 5  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 8?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Right now, what is the best released LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series so far?

4. 4. Are you 'still' looking forward to the new images of the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 9?

• Yes, I can't wait to see the new official designs!
    • Maybe a little bit interested but not really that interested...
    • No, I am getting bored of this theme!

Ah, that kind of analogy is accepted for sure and I understand where you are coming from. I am thinking for collectors who never played with Pirates before or owned any Pirate Captains before, then this new one is definitely welcoming for them. I don't know about the rest but for myself that is the only minifigure which I am least excited about. I do need one or two, but I felt the design is rather repetitive in some extent.

I did grow up with Pirates myself and did also manage to hunt down a Brickbeard on eBay a few months back (sadly he was missing the golden epaulette, which I still need to purchase to complete him), but I have always keep him separate from the CMFs. I do however agree with you about the design of the CMF pirate isn't half as good when compared to Brickbeard and may modify mine to try and rectify at least some of the design's weaker elements (I'm thinking a white epaulette). Like I said, as someone who doesn't want to crossover CMF with regular but wants a pirate in his CMF collection this suffices, but for someone who doesn't want to keep them separate, I do agree with what your saying (especially when I re-read your review to find the correct spelling for epaulette). Still, of the handful I have so far he is my favourite, but hen I appreciate my tastes in the CMF line is different from what you and others have, which is what I love about it.

I will also add that I am hopeful for more "crossovers" in future CMF waves, such as a Swamp Monster (I'm thinking purple), Knight/King and Ghost so I can have a CMF variant of those mini figs.

Edited by pawcanada

Just a small note to the "Lederhosen guy" which would probably get you a slap if you called someone that "auf die Wiesn" (Oktoberfest)

which as you all know is the annual drunk party here in Munich and starts next month also why TLG did a Minifigure in "Tracht"

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Edited by GRogall

It was so strange to see Series 8 at SF Bay Area Toys R Us stores earlier this month because there is usually a WhiteFang review a couple weeks before they are available in Northern California. But it was worth the wait! Great review as always! Thanks for putting in the work, WhiteFang!

At this point, no Collectable Minifigure release is complete without a detailed review from White Fang!

Great work, as always, of presenting the new series itself as well as in the context of all the other series. Thanks for continuing this great set of reviews!

Just a small note to the "Lederhosen guy" which would probably get you a slap if you called someone that "auf die Wiesn" (Oktoberfest)

which as you all know is the annual drunk party here in Munich and starts next month also why TLG did a Minifigure in "Tracht"

:sick: :sick: :sick:

And now we are just waiting for the female counterpart :laugh:

And now we are just waiting for the female counterpart :laugh:

No trust me, A woman in lederhosen is not really that attractive!

_MG_1878-2%5B1%5D.jpg

:tongue:

Out of this series I like the Actor the most. It's a nice addition for any civilian pirates scene, thank you LEGO! Next comes the Lederhosen guy. It's such an authentic figure represention a true German or Austrian. All Germans and Austrians wear them, right? :laugh: And then there's the conquistador which fits well with the old ones. Could have been better if the torso had a nice print, but you can't have everything.

Thanks you Whitefang for 100 superb reviews :wub:

Superb review, WhiteFang! I look forward to a new one every time a new series is released.

One little note,

7871023290_85e5cc9b77_o.jpg

You do know that is a hockey player, right? Hockey and Football are totally different. :tongue::wink:

Edited by Legobrandon

ah... finaly it's there... i've been waiting for this review for a while now, great to read it at last :sweet:

when i first saw the series, i was quite happy. i think the printing of the figs is of high quality and there's some good variety within the series. Sure, there are "rehashes", we're, after all, at number 8, more than 100 figs have passed by now, i guess it's only natural to see some parts and themes return. I don't really care about that, honestly...

some of the figs aren't all that exciting... true... but since i always get multiples, i'll just mix the parts with others and create variations of my own anyway...

the conquistador is my favourite, but i don't think i'll get an army of those. no army-building figs this time... that's crap, but i'll live...

kinda like the lederhosen-guy and the actor too

Thanks for the review WhiteFang!!

I only have the Cowgirl and the Pirate, so as a feel guide are there any rubbery or softer plastic pieces that are of note (Besides the Cowgirl's whip), because I may be getting more soon. Also, is the lower part of the Alien Villainess' cape the standard LEGO cape?

EDIT: Oh, and I also know the Conquistador's sword is flexible

Edited by TrumpetKing67

Thanks for the gorgeous and incredibly in depth review, Series 8 is surprisingly weak considering how good 6 and 7 are. Far too many repeats and odd inclusions like Santa Clause. The number of accessories as a whole seemed to have been reduced as well. The Conquistador is easily the best figure and the snowboarder is the worst and I choose her because she does not come with head gear, hairpiece for boarding?

Thanks for the review!

Most series, there are at least 3 or 4 figures I want, but this series I really just want the robot :sceptic:

Hopefully there will be a better selection in series 9 :classic:

Another truly excellent review WhiteFang! You sure are spoiling us with these incredibly useful and detailed CM reviews. :grin:

Congratulations on your 100th review! That is an impressive feat and has provided many useful contributions to EB.

Where to start with Series 8? We did wait a long time for pictures to surface, and when they did, I was pleasantly surprised. We get some strong useful histroical figures like the Actor, Conquistador and Diver. To supplement those I also enjoyed seeing the first WW Cowgirl, the Businessman and finally a Pirate. However the best new part IMO, would be that pretzel featured with the Bavarian. :wub_drool:

I would also rank Series 8 as "Above Average" or 4/5.

Overall this CM Series is a fine addition and I look forward toward any new potential CM Series. :thumbup:

Another amazing CMF review, 'WhiteFang'. :thumbup::thumbup:

This is probably my third favorite series. Oh, and this is my favorite photo from the review:

7871031672_95ba1f0e00_o.jpg

Hmmm...not a fan of the sci-fi figs, but I'm digging just about everything else :wub: That fairy girl got the gears in my head churning...too bad she's one of the less common ones.

Excellent review WhiteFang, I do hope you continue these reviews into the future. Will you review the Team GB collectible minifigures, or don't you count them as part of the minifigure line.

I´m not in a position to tell people what they should think about the CMF´s overall or indiviual figs but I want to make a list of what I consider is the core values about CMF´s :sweet: :

• So far 128 different ones that would have taken decades to release through ordinare sets.
  • The design/professions of a lot of the figs would never never never been produced if not for the CMF line.
  • The wide assortment of different designs/professions together with the semi-repeating of them, as mentioned above with the Robots makes it a goldmine for Moc´ing and adding detail to any theme & set produced.
  • The price - even without the barcode system (touch and feel method instead) - the price for a special figure is really really affordable compared to buying a set to get the fig. Before you basicly had to get sets like 8401, really old Castle ones, service packs and others to get minifigs (Yeah I know there´s more, just some examples!). And those are basicly the same looking ones that we already had.
  • Some minifigs makes a comeback, like the Forestman. Last seen in 1996 in sets, and then in 2009 in the Collectable minifig set. Now you could get one, two, three ... pretty easy!

I could make the list longer but you get the picture :wink:!

This perfectly sums up for me why I NEVER want this line to end!! If I ever tire of it, I'm sure there will still be a handful out of each 16-figure set I'll still want. But I don't see myself tiring of getting a full set of each series!

This will always be our best bet for getting figures that we would never see otherwise.

Thanks for the great review. I've been waiting to read it. I like seeing them up close and personal before I purchase them. The review confirms the figures I want the most. I don't think it deterred my thoughts on any of them. I'm still torn on the Fairy. I like the wings, but not the rest of the figure. Oh well. I'll still get one for my daughter to have.

The conquistador is by far my favorite and I will be army hoarding them for sure. Now I just have to wait for the official release in my area.

Thanks again.

Thanks Masked Builder. I really got no idea about it.

I knew most people outside the US have no idea what it is, I think it's great fun! I'm glad I was right that it was American Football.

it was about time :)))))

I was waiting for this ;) tnx for all the details ;)

Love your reviews, and I think you made this series even more appealing in my eyes.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why the robot figures have one robot arm and one minifigure arm as opposed to two robot arms? I didn't know if it was construction related or more arbitrary.

Your CMF reviews are so fantastic and detailed Whitefang, thank you for your hard work.

Im antisipating on these being release in Austrlaia to continue the CMF range. This series is very nice and I rally looking forward to the fairy, Santa and bat Minifigs the most.

Thank you guys for your encouraging words. It is really very nice to know that this review is helpful to your cause.

I will also add that I am hopeful for more "crossovers" in future CMF waves, such as a Swamp Monster (I'm thinking purple), Knight/King and Ghost so I can have a CMF variant of those mini figs.

I will think this is possible and I can understand why you want to keep all of the CMFs as it is, so if you haven't drop by here to suggest your suggestions or see if others have made similar suggestions too. This EB topic is probably your best wishing ground.

It was so strange to see Series 8 at SF Bay Area Toys R Us stores earlier this month because there is usually a WhiteFang review a couple weeks before they are available in Northern California. But it was worth the wait! Great review as always! Thanks for putting in the work, WhiteFang!

It is still considered 'early' as the official launch is 1st Sep 12 and it is not possible on realistic terms to always see an early earliest review from me before the mainstream release.

At this point, no Collectable Minifigure release is complete without a detailed review from White Fang!

Great work, as always, of presenting the new series itself as well as in the context of all the other series. Thanks for continuing this great set of reviews!

Thank you Badger! I am glad this review somehow de-lurks you and I hope you are still lurking around in many LEGO communities and I hope this is the kind of stuff which a community bring cross together to prevent fellow LEGO collectors and fans from slipping into the dark age.

Out of this series I like the Actor the most. It's a nice addition for any civilian pirates scene, thank you LEGO! Next comes the Lederhosen guy. It's such an authentic figure represention a true German or Austrian. All Germans and Austrians wear them, right? :laugh: And then there's the conquistador which fits well with the old ones. Could have been better if the torso had a nice print, but you can't have everything.

Thanks you Whitefang for 100 superb reviews :wub:

I knew you will like those minifigs the most! You are such a historic person too.

You do know that is a hockey player, right? Hockey and Football are totally different. :tongue::wink:

Yes, I am fully aware of it, just that I am putting both for comparison even though the protective equipment for the Hockey Player may not be suitable since there is no numbering on their front and back.

ah... finaly it's there... i've been waiting for this review for a while now, great to read it at last :sweet:

when i first saw the series, i was quite happy. i think the printing of the figs is of high quality and there's some good variety within the series. Sure, there are "rehashes", we're, after all, at number 8, more than 100 figs have passed by now, i guess it's only natural to see some parts and themes return. I don't really care about that, honestly...

some of the figs aren't all that exciting... true... but since i always get multiples, i'll just mix the parts with others and create variations of my own anyway...

Very true indeed.

the conquistador is my favourite, but i don't think i'll get an army of those. no army-building figs this time... that's crap, but i'll live...

kinda like the lederhosen-guy and the actor too

No significant army building for this series can be a good sign as it helps to save the wallet on a positive note.

Also, is the lower part of the Alien Villainess' cape the standard LEGO cape?

Yes, it is.

Excellent review WhiteFang, I do hope you continue these reviews into the future. Will you review the Team GB collectible minifigures, or don't you count them as part of the minifigure line.

The Team GB minifigures are definitely something which I am intending to do in the future.

I knew most people outside the US have no idea what it is, I think it's great fun! I'm glad I was right that it was American Football.

I know what this sports is all about, and I even watched Replacement Players before.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why the robot figures have one robot arm and one minifigure arm as opposed to two robot arms? I didn't know if it was construction related or more arbitrary.

Not too sure about it but I suspect it is due to the grip of the hands.