hemhroid_garmadon_002.jpg

Number-9574

Name-Lloyd ZX

Theme-Ninjago

Year-2012

Minifigs-1

Pieces-23

Price-$9.99US, $12.99CAN

Here it is! The pinnacle spinner of the Ninjago line. This is also to be the hardest spinner to find within the countries the show airs in. Should be quite common in the areas it doesn't.

First off...

The Package

hemhroid_garmadon_002.jpg

As if you hadn't seen a Ninjago set that was so green to handle, you obviously have never seen this one. The set continues with the initial shape for spinners this size as they have throughout the year.

The innermost outcropping of the plastic contains the spinner and crown as it always has. The designs on the cardboard feature the Venomari, the fourth, and presumably final set of Serpentine to be featured on these spinners, specifically being Spitta (left) and General Acidicus (right).

hemhroid_garmadon_001.jpg

The farthest outcropping of the plastic displays the image of the Green Ninja along with his weapons, appropriate ages, and piece count. This also features an image of the Lloyd ZX minifigure with a green aura swirling behind him.

hemhroid_garmadon_004.jpg

Upon removing the plastic, you will see probably the clearest image we'll ever see of the coiled snake insignia that is displayed on Lloyd's back. Compared to the other symbols of tribes, skeletons, and elements throughout the past two years, I have to say, this is by far the best looking character symbol to date.

hemhroid_garmadon_005.jpg

The back displays the spinner fighting against 9573 Slithraa at its center. Above it shows off the fact that the spinners are customizable with other spinners and booster packs. And to the top left of the backing, it shows the spinners and booster packs that oddly enough, are still (or about to be) widely available.

The Contents

hemhroid_garmadon_003.jpg

Upon opening the package, you find a spinner, a spinner crown, a deck of cards, a bag of pieces, and two instruction booklets.

The Instructions

hemhroid_garmadon_008.jpg

One is for building the weapons and spinner (right), and the other is the game rules (left)

hemhroid_garmadon_009.jpg

Upon opening the rules booklet you are explained the rules visually with Lloyd ZX and a silhouetted Spitta. This game can be very entertaining among family and friends as long as there is enough cards, spinners, and flat surfaces to go around. I would highly suggest trying it!

Although we must gaze upon the crazed child that is the Gagne-kid every, stinking time we close our instruction booklets, this one is confined to that small spot nullifying his powers of damaging our eyes.

hemhroid_garmadon_010.jpg

On the back you are given the instructions of how to decipher the elemental code on the cards along with when and how, to a point, use them.

hemhroid_garmadon_012.jpg

Here we have the instructions for the spinner. Unless this is for a four-year-old who just received his first Lego set, this is worthless besides for building the occasionally complex weapon. Along with advertising the website and sets from a portion of the toy line, this also displays how to display standing cards and how to spin. It is quite odd how it tells you not hit someone with it while spinning, unless, of course, they meant not to hit anyone with it in general. On a final note, this booklet is not tainted by the Gagne-kid. :cry_happy:

hemhroid_garmadon_011.jpg

The backing of the instructions show off the booster/spinner customization again, but this time they actually use a booster pack (9557 Lizaru) to show it off. On the right, we have an epic picture showing off Lloyd ZX and the NRG Ninja facing against the serpentine. At the forefront of the image you have the Serpentine Generals reaching for the Hypnobrai Fang-Blade, and in the background, you can see a silhouette of the Great Devourer.

The Spinner

(Note: please excuse the couple of images that may appear fuzzy from this point on.)

hemhroid_garmadon_006.jpg

Here we have the golden Omni-element spinner featuring (clockwise)Ice, Earth, Lightning, and Fire. These are also direct copies of the art featured on the NRG Ninja Spinners. This spinner, ignoring the patterns, is just you usual 2012 Ninja spinner with the three pin holes on the pearl light gray bottom.

hemhroid_garmadon_007.jpg

And here we have the spinner crown. This is also an omni-element spinner part with elemental designs that go around in the same order as the spinner, and are also the same designs as the NRG Ninja's crowns as well. This also comes in a luscious trans-green much in the same style as the many translucent crowns that have been released this summer. What sets this summer spinner crown apart from the other Ninja's, besides the obvious, is that unlike having the studs in a 1X2 style around it like the other Ninja, it has a 1X1 design like the serpentine, without the snake head design at the ends.

The Weapons and Minifigure

hemhroid_garmadon_013.jpg

And here we have the parts bag.

hemhroid_garmadon_014.jpg

Once open you can really see the lack in pieces for the astronomical price.

hemhroid_garmadon_015.jpg

Once built you have the completed Green Ninja, his weapons, and the spinner blockade/lift/cardholder which is also trans-green in color (excluding the green 2X2 plate) The weapons you see here are basic and otherwise not a very big deal. One is a pearl light gray katana, and the other is a Kendo stick. When it comes to the golden weapon, the design is also not unique at all. This same design was used in the Kendo Jay booster pack promo available this past January, except both blades face the same direction, and were in Jay's colors. This weapon, is called the Super Bolt.

hemhroid_garmadon_016.jpg

The minifigure, in all of his glory, is dressed in a green gi with dark green sleeves and a dark green belt. The shoulder pads are in gunmetal gray and the head wrap is dressed with a pale silver crest. Although not entirely noticeable, the crest is darker than that of Jay ZX and Cole ZX. The crest is also freckled with small dark spots which are very evident from an angle (see final review image).

hemhroid_garmadon_017.jpg

Without the armor and head wrap, it is revealed that the head is still the same from little Lloyd...

hemhroid_garmadon_018.jpg

...with the shocked expression and everything. Also from here you can see the coiled snake that represents Lloyd. With the armor on, this symbol is still completely visible.

Also, just for kicks I removed the green legs from my CMF Leprechaun and...

hemhroid_garmadon_019.jpg

hemhroid_garmadon_020.jpg

Although it has no printing it works quite well.

The Cards

hemhroid_garmadon_021.jpg

And here we have the cards. This is the only spinner to include 3 green cards, one of them being a powerful (in play :tongue: )gold card.

hemhroid_garmadon_022.jpg

The character card has a little something to be desired as his eyes are the eyes of the random Ninja in the corner of every box. They have no real resemblance to Lloyd's. This card does reveal that he has the omni-element symbol which is featured on every green card this year. He is also one of three balanced element characters in the series, the others being both of last year's variations of Sensei Wu and last year's Lord Garmadon.

hemhroid_garmadon_023.jpg

This card, called Roundhouse Kick, is played placing cards standing up at least one card's distance between each other, and spinning them down. The one with the most nocked-down cards reclaims a lost weapon. This card features common art of Sensei Wu throughout this years cards. The only difference is what is displayed on the scroll.

hemhroid_garmadon_024.jpg

This card, called Unique Power, is played only when you have a crown equipped. When played you are allowed to increase all elements of you player by 100 SP until the crown is discarded. The art on this card is not as good as many that I've seen but it portrays the idea pretty well.

hemhroid_garmadon_025.jpg

This card, called Premonition, is played only when you have a crown equipped as well. When played, all of your opponents reveal their cards every time you win until the crown is discarded. The art on this one is much better than that of the one before. It portrays Kai in a tranquil scene where he is remembered of the Serpentine warring about through the reflection in the water, or that's how I made of it.

hemhroid_garmadon_026.jpg

This card, called Opposition, is only played with a golden weapon equipped and when you have three cards that require you to face them up on the playing field. If all the above is in play then the opponent looses all their weapons, which translates as a "knock-out" card as the opponent can't play without a weapon. The art on this card is honestly one of the best pieces of card art overall. This is also the only card where Pythor's face is visible. The odd thing about this one is that Lloyd is actually incapable to play this card as it requires 400SP from any element, unless the card Unique Power is in play.

Conlusion

This set has a horrible price-per-piece ratio, and has no playability without an opposing spinner. When two spinners are purchased, one may simply spin them both out and watch as they battle for quite a while. The value of the set is worth the fact of how rare it is to find it (if your in the Show's area). The minifigure alone would go for massive prices from a resellers point of view. However if you are a Ninjago completest (like myself) then this is a an absolute must have for your collection. Also if you are just the minifig collector, this is the cheapest set with Lloyd ZX (the other being 9450 Epic Dragon battle $119.99USD). So to put it simply this set is a must have, or a "way to expensive" set according to your point of view.

hemhroid_garmadon_027.jpg

Thanks for reading my first review! C&C is always appreciated!

Edited by Penkid11

Thank you for the review! Note that when you have two spinners you can sit for about an hour just battling. And compared to other spinners this one is relatively cheap, as you get a rare fig with his ridiculously powerful cards and awesome spinner.

Thank you for the review! Note that when you have two spinners you can sit for about an hour just battling. And compared to other spinners this one is relatively cheap, as you get a rare fig with his ridiculously powerful cards and awesome spinner.

Indeed... If you can find one.

That was very good review! I like how you described the cards and all. Are you going to review other spinners as well?

Seriously Lego? A stick? I really hoped that he will get his cool staff-axe from this set:

9552-1.jpg

But oh well his main weapon is pretty cool I guess.

Good review! I think the Lloyd ZX spinner set is definitely well-designed as far as spinner sets are concerned, but it does feel a bit odd in some ways. His main weapon, for instance, doesn't have the same iconic feel as many of the golden weapons, and it's no surprise it hasn't been seen in the show. I kind of wish that instead of one oversized and contrived-looking weapon and two more boring weapons he had been given multiple smaller and more interesting weapons.

One thing I love is how his spinner pattern actually references the four NRG spinner patterns: each elemental corner print is one quarter of the design from the NRG spinner matching that element. The green multi-element crown is also a nice feature, and really evokes the "tornado of energy" feel Spinjitzu is supposed to have.

The Lloyd ZX minifigure is naturally quite impressive. I like how his face print is just as well suited to the childish Lloyd Garmadon minifigure as to the more grown-up Lloyd ZX fig. Makes me wish that either of his hair pieces from the show existed in the proper color, though.

Price-per-piece arguments don't really make much of a difference to me since if you're worried about price-per-piece you shouldn't be buying a spinner set at all-- or at least, you should be buying one of the larger ones like the weapon pack or training set rather than a single-character spinner. Personally, I have not felt compelled to get any of this year's spinner sets besides the NRG Ninja, whose minifigures don't appear in non-spinner sets (and whose spinner sets are really awesome-looking with great weapon parts). Still, I can see how someone who doesn't want to get the Epic Dragon Battle could use this set as a way of obtaining the Lloyd ZX fig.

"This set has a horrible price-per-piece ratio, and has no playability without an opposing spinner. The value of the set is worth the fact of how rare it is to find it (if your in the Show's area). The minifigure alone would go for massive prices from a resellers point of view. However if you are a Ninjago completest (like myself) then this is a an absolute must have for your collection."

This is certainly a set I'll be getting, and if you ask me, sure spinners aren't that useful for MOCs, but their size (and weight) plus the cards, makes the price balance out at least a little better. :wink: And thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

An edit has been made to the review going into detail on the weapons, a small mention of spinner resemblances (Thanks to Aanchir), and the yin-yang of a conclusion has been lengthened.

Good review! I think the Lloyd ZX spinner set is definitely well-designed as far as spinner sets are concerned, but it does feel a bit odd in some ways. His main weapon, for instance, doesn't have the same iconic feel as many of the golden weapons, and it's no surprise it hasn't been seen in the show. I kind of wish that instead of one oversized and contrived-looking weapon and two more boring weapons he had been given multiple smaller and more interesting weapons.

I agree one hundred percent with this. The golden weapons are among my favourite aspects of the spinner and booster pack sets. I always like to display the figs holding them even if they have an odd design (i.e. what Jay ZX and Zane ZX came with). Sadly I feel the same way about Lloyd's, and it's made worse by the fact it has two green blades. I've never liked it when a golden weapon has a non-golden piece, i.e. Kendo Zane's spiked hammer (I know it's an easy fix now the golden lightsaber handle has been released but that's beside the point) as it contradicts the very name of it (i.e. golden weapon). Plus to me a double bladed spear thing does fit; I personally associate spears with Jay, especially after seeing the beautiful one he got in his NRG form. How about an axe (I saw a great one on eBay that I may give to ZX or "Kimono" as that lacks weapons) or a trident? Again, I realise I can easily swap out disappointing golden weapons but that's not the point in my eyes.

The Lloyd ZX minifigure is naturally quite impressive. I like how his face print is just as well suited to the childish Lloyd Garmadon minifigure as to the more grown-up Lloyd ZX fig. Makes me wish that either of his hair pieces from the show existed in the proper color, though.

Again, I agree one hundred percent. While I may dislike his "weapon of choice" (how I view the golden weapons anyway), this has been the one figure I have been anticipating more than any and seeing this review makes me want it even more. I agree with others who say it's a shame he doesn't come with a hair piece and/or short green legs for child Lloyd (though I appreciate it is easyish to buy similar parts that may not purely match). I just wish (as others have said) we got a green ninja version of the first three (normal/early 2011, DX and Kendo) looks.

Tangent aside, great job on the review. I've wanted to see multiple pictures of Lloyd ZX for ages and this does an amazing job :)

Edited by pawcanada

I like the figure hes so cool! The only thing I have a problem with is that His voice sounds younger than his first voice in the series :sad:

I agree with others who say it's a shame he doesn't come with a hair piece and/or short green legs for child Lloyd (though I appreciate it is easyish to buy similar parts that may not purely match).

The short legs from the CMF Series 4 Clown and Series 6 Leprechaun are the best we'll get, and it still comes out well. The hair however is the only bummer as excellent custom ones on fee-bay are over $30 (for both young and old Lloyd hair together at least).

I like the figure hes so cool! The only thing I have a problem with is that His voice sounds younger than his first voice in the series :sad:

That may be true but lets keep all of the show chat here, please.

Nice review, 'Penkid11'! :sweet:

This set is selling like hot cakes from what I heard. Hopefully I can track one down. :laugh: