Sign in to follow this  
XimenaPaulina

3D Model: Batman's Tumbler

19 members have voted

1. 1. How does the Tumbler look like?

• A real brick-built model
    • A 3D digital model

After recently discovering the newly-released LDD to POV-Ray Converter made by the awesome Martin Hronský, I decided to test the program with one of my favorite LEGO Models - my modified Artifex Creation's Batman Tumbler. And here is the result of almost 17 hours of rendering and a GREAT deal of patience on the side! :laugh: Isn't it a realistic thing of beauty? :cry_happy: This is truly a testament of the program's amazing rendering power! :thumbup: :thumbup:

7831202240_541f1555ff_c.jpg

Batman's Tumbler by Kiel.Da.Man (flickr)

Without the background:

7815302208_a2368067d7_c.jpg

Tumbler_Render by Kiel.Da.Man (flickr)

LDD Model:

7815302990_e2afb3ac4c_c.jpg

Tumbler_LDD by by Kiel.Da.Man (flickr)

Real Model:

4776105343_635e460867.jpg

If you'd like to learn how to use this new wonderful 3D modelling program, head over to this dedicated topic on LDD2PovRay in the LDD Forum.

Main Site of the LDD to POV-Ray Converter

Cool. I like how this model is buildable on LDD, whereas most other Tumbler MOCs include many illegal techniques. I also like how realistic the POV Ray looks. I might have to download it. :sweet:

It still looks a bit like 3d model... but it's getting hard to tell.

I think if you actually took the shadows out of the second pic at quick glance I would have passed it off as simply photoshopped background.

Nice reverse-engineering there too!

That's really close to real - a couple things still gave it away to me.

1. Tires. Just don't look like rubber yet.

2. Shadows in the second pic - a little too mathematically perfect. I do lots of photography, and those shadows just don't quite pass as real yet.

3. The glare off the front fender (very bottom center of the image) - just too perfect again.

4. A bit too shiny. Real lego isn't quite as shiny as these renders.

But that's all being really picky. It looks fantastic and close enough to real that I could easily accept it as real if I was flipping through images faster.

Thanks for doing this render! It looks really cool. I agree that you can still tell it's computer-generated, but I think it's an awesome look. It seems like a view of the Tumbler as seen on the Batcomputer. :classic:

Cool. I like how this model is buildable on LDD, whereas most other Tumbler MOCs include many illegal techniques. I also like how realistic the POV Ray looks. I might have to download it. :sweet:

I was a bit surprised too that I was able to build this in LDD, considering the model has its fair share of illegal techniques - some I were able to "compromise", while others were just completely impossible so I just left them off the build. And you should try LDD to POV-Ray/POV-Ray too, they're really amazing programs. :thumbup:

I think if you actually took the shadows out of the second pic at quick glance I would have passed it off as simply photoshopped background.

2. Shadows in the second pic - a little too mathematically perfect. I do lots of photography, and those shadows just don't quite pass as real yet.

3. The glare off the front fender (very bottom center of the image) - just too perfect again.

4. A bit too shiny. Real lego isn't quite as shiny as these renders.

I agree this is the case of "too good/too perfect to be true". I may be wrong about this, but I guess the imperfections of a real model is something that might be difficult to pull-off in a computer program (though nowadays nothing is impossible, ex. GTA video game screenshots)

It seems like a view of the Tumbler as seen on the Batcomputer.

I guess that's one way of looking at it, almost real but not quite. :grin:

Can you give instructions?

Unfortunately I can't, since the model is based on Artifex Creation's Batman Tumbler, he rightfully owns (majority of) the design. But if you like to have one you could always buy from him or make your own (reverse engineering is fun and challenging at the same time! :classic: )

Wow, that's an amazing render! It looks great! I really wish I could get the hang of the LLD to Pov-Ray program, but it's just really complicated.

I really wish I could get the hang of the LLD to Pov-Ray program, but it's just really complicated.

It's not really as complicated as you perceive it to be. I must admit I was a bit 'intimidated' at first considering I'm not well-versed in digital rendering programs outside of LDD. Actually all it takes is to have both the LDD to POV-Ray converter and the POV-Ray program properly installed on your computer, have your LDD Build ready, and the LDD to POV-Ray converter is very easy to use and user-friendly. The 3D render of the Tumbler actually just uses the default basic settings of the program, but the result is already great! You should try to use it, patience is the key in using this. :wink:

Could've fooled me, definitely thought it was a real model from the small picture in your sig. Nice work, and thanks for again displaying the power of this new rendering tool. I would give it a try if my computer could handle it! :laugh: