Sign in to follow this  
Tanotrooper

Pirates Era Minifigures

Greetings everyone, it's been a while since I posted here! :pir-blush:

I've stopped production of my TTfigs and have finally returned to regular minifigures. I feel LEGO has provided enough new parts for me to do so. (Things like the scabbard, moving horse and more printed legs.)

I'm planning to make minifigures from different eras, and as this is the Pirates forum, the minifigures shown here will limit themselves to the forum's boundaries. (Renaissance - Napoleonic Wars)

Let's start off then! The first figures in chronological order:

Scottish mercenary halberdier

7782340908_8bfd002b79.jpg

Scottish mercenary halberdier from the XVIth - XVIIth century, known for their fiercefulness. The armour consists of a full cuirass and two large metal plates suspended below it, offering protection for the upper legs. It took a long time before I found a piece that could hold the blade and the two pikes. Finally ended up with the telescope. I'm quite proud of this halberd design! :pir-laugh:

Based on the appearance in Mount and Blade: with Fire and Sword.

Louis XIV, le roi soleil 1638-1715

7782341648_3106de5f97_n.jpg

Based on the famous painting. You've got to love the elasticity of the Friends hair.

264px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

Seems like I've put the wrong leg forward... :pir-tongue:

French grenadier 53ème de ligne 1806

7782342168_851c881c7a_n.jpg

First of all, FINALLY found a good French shako design! Made using a small tire (Racer sets) onto LEGO's shako. Years of experimenting to finally arrive at such a simple sollution.

Due to lack of indigo due to the continental blockade and a desire of certain veteran troops to regain their fabulous white uniforms they wore under the king, Napoléon decided to reintroduce the white uniforms in 1806. Distribution was curious, with certain regiments not receiving their ordered uniforms while other regiments that hadn't ordered them did. Even within a unit there could still be a mix of the old blue and new white uniforms.

Legend has it that blood appeared so vividly on the uniforms, that Napoléon ordered their removal when he saw wounded and dead troops in them.

A more realistic scenario was that they were impossible to keep clean, and that other ways were found to dye the uniforms blue. Whatever the case, in 1807 production was seized, much to the annoyance of officers who had just purchased several uniforms for themselves. The uniform slowly dissappeared and remains a curious part of the napoleonic wars.

The colours on the facings and other parts of the uniform changed according to each regiment and the 53ème de ligne was the only one to actually receive the white uniforms with pink facings.

That's it for now, many minifigures coming up soon. Comments and constructive criticism is very welcome! :pir-sweet:

Gaetano

Tanotrooper

That is a great looking Scottish mercenary, but I'm not too sure about the Easter Bunny torso for the grenadier. The shakp definitely works though.

Nice use of the hook on the first one and the tire on the third. :thumbup:

Edited by Rook

That is a great looking Scottish mercenary, but I'm not too sure about the Easter Bunny torso for the grenadier. The shakp definitely works though.

Thanks! The torso works well in real life, perhaps the photo makes the pink stand out too much due to the flash. I have a colour image of the white uniform with pink facing in an Osprey book, I'll try to scan it tomorrow.

Nice use of the hook on the first one and the tire on the third. :thumbup:

Thanks again! A minifig hand couldn't fit in the room that was left, so the hook was an obvious choice.

I have to say that the work by FalconsLord gave me the spark I needed to get the tire idea. (He makes LDD/CAD versions, some connections are possible and some or not. He uses a visor on top of the shako, a connection of which I know isn't sturdy enough: FalconsLord shako I hadn't ever thought of broadening the original shako, but I did know the perfect part for it. The tire has exactly the right tension and has been used in several of my brickbuilt headgears before. So a big thanks to FalconsLord!)

When my Bricklink order arrives I shall update this thread with a few Napoleonics and a few Thirty Years war troops.

Cheers,

Gaetano

Tanotrooper

HAHAHA Finally something that hasn't been blogged yet and has some nice intrigue!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Don't see how 1806 is pirate era.jollyroger.gif

1806 is very much in the Pirate era :pir-tongue: considering the battle of Trafalgar was in 1805 and the battle of Copenhagen was in 1807, two very large sea battles. Piracy and battles between ships was a busy business in this period. It wasn't until 1815 that european powers started to tackle the problem of the Barbary Pirates in north africa.

Anyway great figures Tano :thumbup: And nice to see a white uniformed frenchy. Clever idea for the shako too.

1806 is very much in the Pirate era :pir-tongue: considering the battle of Trafalgar was in 1805 and the battle of Copenhagen was in 1807, two very large sea battles.

That was actually the Second Battle of Copenhagen- the first was in 1801, and Nelson was involved.

Anyway, great job on the figs! The Scottish mercenary is especially clever. And welcome back to our corner of the seas!

These look very good, I like that Louis XIV figure, that halberd design is a winner :pir-classic:

1806 is very much in the Pirate era :pir-tongue: considering the battle of Trafalgar was in 1805 and the battle of Copenhagen was in 1807, two very large sea battles. Piracy and battles between ships was a busy business in this period. It wasn't until 1815 that european powers started to tackle the problem of the Barbary Pirates in north africa.

Anyway great figures Tano :thumbup: And nice to see a white uniformed frenchy. Clever idea for the shako too.

I will never think of napoleon when i hear pirate. Why don't i upload some ancient greek pirates. pirate era should always be known as the goleden age. before that buccaneers and privateers........ cannon.gif

These look very good, I like that Louis XIV figure, that halberd design is a winner :pir-classic:

I agree, he is my favorite figure. Excellent work. :pir-sweet:

Nice-looking minifigures you have there. :wink: Great use of the Friends wig for Louis XIV.

I will never think of napoleon when i hear pirate. Why don't i upload some ancient greek pirates. pirate era should always be known as the goleden age. before that buccaneers and privateers........ cannon.gif

Because then your MOC would probably be placed in the Historic Themes forums :pir-classic: As far as I know the basis for all that belongs in here is that it's supposed to have something to do with the era of seaworthy, fully rigged ships :pir_laugh2:

I really like the halberds, I might steal that design and give proper credit :pir-grin: