darcaesar

MOC: German Emerald Night

This is my second post on Eurobricks. I wanted to share pictures of an Emerald Night that I made in the German style. You can call it the Schwarze Nacht. It's got the red wheels and a black top. It's not meant to represent any real train. I'm not sure if anyone's made something like this before.

The Emerald Night is my favorite LEGO train and I like trains such as Ben Beneke's BR 23 so I decided to build a hybrid. Other than changes in color the only real changes that I've made were to extend the coal tender to accommodate the custom wheels and the wheels on the tender themselves. It fully functional with a Power Functions motor, IR receiver, lights, and a battery. I'm thinking of also moving the IR receiver to the tender (it will fit) in order to streamline the boiler. I don't like the gray from the IR receiver showing. I'll do this later.

My next goal is to figure out what kind of cars to build for it. I hope to have that done in time for Christmas.

Enjoy.

dsc_6704.jpg

dsc_6699.jpg

Edited by darcaesar

Very nice, looks just like mine ;) you did a great job on the tender etc.! I also like the curved bricks at the front under the boiler.

emplacement00.jpg

In this style the Emerald looks b.t.w. quite like a "Baureihe" (e.g. the 52), the typical German tender loc's:

mat_br52.jpg

Thanks. Looks like the DRB Class 52 has a 2-10-0 wheel arrangement, but the boiler looks similar. When I ordered the red wheels I got several extra ones so that I can make something else. My next locomotive may be based on something real. I'll just need to find a good design and some time. It might be a while.

I'm also going to try making an oil tender and see how it compares with the coal tender.

You can find some inspiration here: BR pag 1 and BR pag 2 :classic:

Yups that is always a good idea, we are also subscribed to Railhobby (some Dutch railroad hobby magazine) for inspiration!

I like the way you tackled the boogies on the tender.

As for your carriages - perhaps those classic purple/gold Rheingold passenger and dining cars?

How did you order red wheels, btw?

Nix

Amazing MOC, darcaesar!

I'd love to be able to build a train in that same Emerald Night style, but alas I don't have the parts, nor skill, to do so now. So I guess I'll have to live vicariously through yours!! :laugh:

I can't wait to see what you do with the remaining cars, but I'm sure that they will look great!

- The Brick is Epic

Very swanky! :)

How did you order red wheels, btw?

Red wheels are (well, were) readily available in the Toy Story set Western Train Chase. Even though the model doesn't use blinds, it includes them, probably because when the new large steam engine wheels were first designed for the Emerald Night, they created a mold that molded a full set of the wheels (flanged drivers and blinds) all together, and since they used the same mold for the wheels on the Toy Story train, they had to mold the blinds anyway even though they weren't going to be used, so they apparently decided to include them with the set.

Amazing MOC, darcaesar!

I'd love to be able to build a train in that same Emerald Night style, but alas I don't have the parts, nor skill, to do so now. So I guess I'll have to live vicariously through yours!! :laugh:

I can't wait to see what you do with the remaining cars, but I'm sure that they will look great!

- The Brick is Epic

Well, I just used a standard (new) Emerald set and built that into a black/red version, ignoring all green parts etc. Luckily the door sliding rail 1x2 is now also in a set available, when I did it, they were officially not there (although some bricklink seller had them at a reasonable price, interesting that the price didn't drop b.t.w.).

Darceasar also used them in the tender as you can see.

Well, I just used a standard (new) Emerald set and built that into a black/red version, ignoring all green parts etc. Luckily the door sliding rail 1x2 is now also in a set available, when I did it, they were officially not there (although some bricklink seller had them at a reasonable price, interesting that the price didn't drop b.t.w.).

Darceasar also used them in the tender as you can see.

Yes, the train is pretty much built according to the instructions for the Emerald Night. I went through the instructions step by step and noted which parts I wanted in red and which in black. As you can see s few parts were not available in those colors or they were from a set in the 1980s and so I went with gray. I've thought about making the wheel axles in red but would have to modify the design. I could do that, but I do like to current contrast.

I'll also let you guys in on a little secret about expensive parts on bricklink (such as the red sliding rail 1x2). When I run into those issues I contact LEGO's missing parts department. I was able to get 30 of those pieces for $4.42 total (which is less than 15 cents each). The model needed 18 of them and currently the cheapest price on bricklink for at least 18 of them from one seller is over $1.00 each plus shipping. I know this may not be an option for everyone, but I've lucked out in getting certain parts for a lot less through LEGO at times. I did the same for several other parts. LEGO, however, has not been willing to sell me any train wheels (the big steam ones). The black ones were unavailable last I checked and the red ones came from a licensed set only. Anyway, that's another way to get parts. I use bricklink and LEGO's missing parts department.

Nice work there Darcaeser I think this is a nice rebuild of the Emerald Night, I really like the way you have tackled the bogies on the tender they look very good.

What about my train cars? Would these look ok?

13401323763_DISPLAY.jpg

The observation car is seen here, but there is a baggage car & 3 passengers cars too.

If you want the file, here it is. If you want more pictures, the MOC Page is here.

Sorry for the self-promotion. :blush:

Sorry to Bump : But it kind of ticks me off calling The E.Night with different colors a Moc when it is clearly a Mod... That is all and Sorry for the bump moderators...

Sorry to Bump : But it kind of ticks me off calling The E.Night with different colors a Moc when it is clearly a Mod... That is all and Sorry for the bump moderators...

I think the originator was fair in disclosing the origins of this creation and don't think we need to get too wrapped up into what constitutes a MOD vs. a MOC. If he simply changed a few pieces, then perhaps MOD would have been more fitting; but again, it's about his custom creation, not about the name. I usually allow the creator to make the call.