1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 - Supertastic!
    • 4 - As good as SpongeBob's fry-cooking
    • 3 - Just the right amount of underwater delight
    • 2 - As poor as Spongebob's driving skills
    • 1 - As low as Patrick's IQ level

7716471574_0d8d20309f_o.jpg

7716470914_84ce7edc87_o.jpg

What Bikini Bottom needs is a dose of new blood...

A younger breed of Super Heroes dedicated to protect it from all underwater danger...

Then came the Heroes that Bikini Bottom doesn't need, but the ones it deserve...

7716470316_e78feaf3a5_o.jpg

Name: Heroic Heroes of the Deep

Number: 3815

Theme: Spongebob Squarepants

Year: 2011

Pieces: 77

Minifigs: 3

Price: $14.99 | £13.99

Links: Brickset | Bricklink | Peeron | LEGO Shop@Home

The subtitle primarily summarizes the current state of the 'Licensed' Themes, as Super Heroes have taken over with its slew of DC and Marvel sets. Dumped behind is the SpongeBob Squarepants product line, which might be nearing its run (?) having only released only two sets each last year and this year. I'm doing this review for a couple of reasons, and one is I personally love the SpongeBob Squarepants cartoon, no matter how weird it sounds coming from a full-grown adult. :grin: And with the current popularity of Super Hero sets I think this set review would 'fit in' just nicely. So without further ado, let's start the ball rolling...

The Box

7716469626_376915519a_o.jpg

The boxart perfectly captures the feel of the underwater world of Bikini Bottom with its minimalistic artwork and the signature 'flower clouds' in the sky water backdrop. SpongeBob's buckteeth-face in the corner is expected, and the bubble panel of the minifig line-up is simple yet nicely done.

7716468852_40a88aac6d_o.jpg

The few play features are also enclosed in the same bubble panels, which is really a nice touch consistent with the whole underwater theme. The other 2011 set, 3816 Glove World, is advertised as a corner filler in the back layout.

7716468106_873f63e53e_o.jpg

Again, the 1:1 minifig panel at the top of the box is a bubble, but enough of all these "bubble-talk". :tongue: There is an interesting set of details in each side of the box - random SpongeBob bady parts, Yay! How exciting! :hmpf: SpongeBob body pores at the top, check! SpongeBob leg at the bottom, check!

7716467514_640787e654_o.jpg

Peek-a-boo! SpongeBob's tri-lashed eye peeks at the right side, while the left side has his hand either: a) trying to wave or b) trying to ask for help because he 'drowned' (sponges don't drown underwater :hmpf: ), or c) his hand just came out from the grave and he's part of an underwater zombie apocalypse. :grin: But seriously I find these random body parts in the box funnily cute. :thumbup:

Also interesting to note is Stephen Hillenburg's signature on the side, which has me imagining him as: "Here's my free autograph for your purchase of this lovely set, thank you very much random SpongeBob fan" + <wink>. :grin:

The Contents

7716467168_ab41fd528e_o.jpg

No surprises here, just the right 'ingredients' (one big and small bag of parts, a loose element, and instruction booklet) for a small-sized set 'recipe'. Oh wait, I take it back, there is a surprise, there's no sticker shit sheet! Thank Neptune! :sweet:

Instruction Booklet (Sample Page)

7716466124_dfffa405e0_o.jpg

Other sets of the SpongeBob theme are featured in one of the last pages at the booklet.

The LEGO parts

7716464972_74fd354301_o.jpg

The parts selection is expectedly colorful, consistent with the lively bright motif of the SpongeBob Squarepants world. Bright yellow, red, and dark azure comprise majority of the parts plus the usual black and white pieces.

Interesting Pieces

7716463840_ce555dc5e0_o.jpg

Some pieces of interest include the two types of minifig cape: the standard two-holed cape and the single-holed version which is exclusive to this set (at least in this blue color, not sure if there are other color variants). I'm also pleasantly surprised by the number of printed pieces for this small set - four nice ones to be exact. This kinda makes me slightly upset since if TLG can do this for a small 77-piece SpongeBob set then why couldn't they give us these in more popular (and better-selling) themes like Star Wars, Super Heroes, or LOTR? :hmpf_bad: It's also nice to see a trans-clear cook's hat!

The Minifigures

Here are is our superhero duo, Super SpongeBob and Sidekick Patrick (just my catchy name for him :grin:) and the evil Plankton in a Hydro-Robo Suit (at least that's the name I gave it).

7716463104_e797b8cac3_o.jpg

And since I thoroughly enjoyed making the Minifig Visual Dictionary-type of presentation in one of my Batman Minifig Customization Contest entries, I decided to do the same for the super-hero/villain minifigs in this set. Here they are, I hope you enjoy them! :classic:

Super SpongeBob

7716462442_4189c48e13_o.jpg

This is a very good representation of SpongeBob as a superhero, the blue costume works well with the 'yellowness' of SpongeBob, the facial expression is fit for a hero, and that jellyfish logo in the outfit is quite a nice little detail. The cape being pressed inside Spongebob's body piece is a bit weird, but it still works nonetheless.

Sidekick Patrick

7716460974_65bf34cf1c_o.jpg

Sidekick Patrick's costume is another good color combination, yellow-green meshes well together with Patrick's fleshie head. The star logo fits Patrick Star perfectly, and I'm even surprised there is a nice belt buckle detail in the waist, though the leg prints could've been better (difficult to print a lighter yellow color on a darker green piece I assume?). And for once Patrick expression doesn't look dumb or dorky (or it may be just he's good in acting the hero part! :laugh:)

Hydro-Suit Plankton

7716459346_142fff598e_o.jpg

I really like the build of Plankton's Hydro-Robo Suit thingy - just the right size, nice effective design utilizing only a few pieces but covering all the necessary parts of a robo/mech-suit. This is also a good parallel of Lex's Power Armour, with both villains trying to compensate their lack of physical power with genius inventions to rule their respective worlds. Hooray for nerds' world domination! :devil:

The Build - The Super Boatmobile

7716458178_aaecce17df_o.jpg

The main build of this set is the Super Boatmobile, take note - not just an ordinary Boatmobile, but a Super Boatmobile (loaded with super-enhancements stated above :grin:). The build is quite over-simplified, and I know some might find the crudity of having no actual interior space for seats, but I think it's within the overall fun dorkiness of the whole SpongeBob genre. The bright color combos, goofy design, and weird but fun details - they all make perfect sense in the world of SpongeBob Squarepants!

Playability Features

7716456242_3e936cfec1_o.jpg

Here's a composite image of the play features of the boatmobile - they're all very basic though the folding bubble torpedo launchers is nicely executed.

Leftover Pieces

7716456698_f22e5aa914_o.jpg

Forget the others: Metallic Silver Mechanical Claw - the CLLLLAAAAAWWWWWW.....

Rating the Set:

Design – 8/10 Some might think this score is a bit high for the design aspect, though if we take into consideration the weird world of SpongeBob SquarePants and that this set is primarily aimed for kids, the "over-simplified" build of the boatmobile is more than justified.

Build – 7/10 As simple as it can get - just the appropriate level of difficulty ease for the kiddies to follow.

Parts – 9/10 The parts selection offers some brightly colored pieces that can be useful for MOCing. The four printed pieces also adds points! (still wish TLG would do these for other themes)

Minifigures – 9/10 Plankton in a well-designed hyrdo-robo suit is genius. The superhero representations of SpongeBob and Patrick couldn't have been better. The concepts for the costumes are well thought-of. The only thing I'd like to improve is Patrick's bland leg prints, but overall a near-perfect score for the minifig line-up.

Playability – 7/10 Reminding my self to judge playability as a kid and not as an AFOL, I think it has a pretty decent amount of play features-slash-moving parts. I really don't expect more for a set this small size.

Price – 7/10 The 15 cents price-to-piece ratio is a bit high in the norm, though considering this is a licensed set and we get "2-and-a-round brick" minifigs plus several printed pieces, it's quite understandable.

Overall: 78%

Let's make this short and sweet, if you have 15 bucks to spare and you appreciate SpongeBob Squarepants then this set is a nice pick-up. Otherwise, you might just want to spend the money on other things more interesting to you. Personally, as a huge SpongeBob Squarepants fan, I'm very happy to get this and have the Super Hero versions of SpongeBob and Patrick plus the awesome Plankton Hydro-suit in my minifig collection. :sweet:

Parting Shots

One of the reasons I made this review is I wanted to pay a tribute to the recently-departed Ernest Borgnine, the voice behind Mermaid Man. (Incidentally, the superhero characters of SpongeBob and Patrick in this set is inspired by Mermaid Man and his sidekick Barnacle Boy). Mermaid Man's character might not be on every episode, but when he's in one I always enjoy watching his old, cranky, and 'always forgetful' antics, thanks to the convincing and realistic voicing by Borgnine. Mr. Ernest Borgnine, you shall be missed dearly. :sadnew: (and you'll always be Mermaid Man for me, even if there's another voice actor to replace you :cry_sad: )

7716455304_cbd876325f_o.jpg

On a more positive and livelier ending, I made a mini comic strip for this set, which you could find in the Brick Flicks & Comics section (link below).

Comic Strip: Trolling Plankton

Thanks for reading my review! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did in making it! :classic:

Great review, 'KielDaMan'! :sweet:

I had a craving for Spongebob sets earlier this year, and this set was not on my raider. I find the set itself pretty pointless, but the boat is pretty cool. :grin:

Edited by just2good

This looks like a fun little set. The printed recipe piece looks great. I also never noticed the Jellyfish were Chef hats but just trans clear.

Great review, as now I actually think I might get this. :thumbup::classic:

Very fun review, Kiel! I always love reading and looking at your comic-type pictures, like the minifig bios in this one. You have a really unique way of reviewing sets, and they are so enjoyable. :sweet:

As for the set itself, I'll pass. But there's a wealth of unique colored parts (light blue is a pretty rare color), and the new cape design is pretty cool.

Haha, thanks for this fun review, Kiel! It really shows that you have a pretty good knowledge about the Spongebob universe, something a lot of Spongebob reviews lack. This is the only SS set I have truly been interested in, whether it's because of the affordable size, the pieces with rare colors and cool prints, or the mere fact that it is superhero themed. But I always thought the price is just too high (this should really have been a $10 set) so I could never bring myself to pick it up. This review makes it hard to resist buying it though.

By the way, the heroes' costume designs are solely based on the following poster, and I think the blaster is supposed to shoot bubbles, not ice cream (since Spongebob is a master at blowing bubbles):

spongebob-squarepants-comic-book-superhero-tv-poster-print.jpg

Nice work, and keep up the great reviews! :thumbup:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate them! :sweet:

I find the set itself pretty pointless, but the boat is pretty cool. :grin:

That's what SpongeBob SquarePants is all about - being pointless(ly funny!) :laugh:

Actually I think the joke about plankton taking off the green coat on his body is he is taking off his skin and has lots more hanging in the closet.

You're probably right about that, as I haven't watch that particular episode. (I only read about it the SpongeBob wiki)

Very fun review, Kiel! I always love reading and looking at your comic-type pictures, like the minifig bios in this one. You have a really unique way of reviewing sets, and they are so enjoyable. :sweet:

Thanks man! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :classic: I really have so much fun doing this type of reviews so I hope to do some more in the future.

Haha, thanks for this fun review, Kiel! It really shows that you have a pretty good knowledge about the Spongebob universe, something a lot of Spongebob reviews lack.

By the way, the heroes' costume designs are solely based on the following poster, and I think the blaster is supposed to shoot bubbles, not ice cream (since Spongebob is a master at blowing bubbles):

<snip>

Yeah I think I'm quite knowledgeable with SpongeBoB, I don't even get tired watching the same episodes again and again and again, as they never fail to crack me up every time! :laugh:

Oh thanks for sharing that image, I've been trying to find that reference pic but couldn't (only a blurry sticker pic). If I remember correctly those costumes never appeared in a SpongeBob episode, so it's sort of non-canon in the cartoons. And the blaster thingy, I just named it myself 'bluberry ice cream' since I though the idea of shooting ice cream as a weapon is ridiculously funny. :laugh:

Great, great review, Kiel! I love the format of the review - it kept it interesting, not that your reviews are boring! :classic:

An excellent review. :wink: It's great to see how you presented information about the minifigures.

Great, great review, Kiel! I love the format of the review - it kept it interesting, not that your reviews are boring! :classic:

An excellent review. :wink: It's great to see how you presented information about the minifigures.

Thanks guys! Glad you liked the presentation. :classic:

Nice review! Very nice, in fact - you really went the extra mile on all the nifty graphics and whatnot, and made for an entertaining read. It's such a fine review I hate to quibble, but I do feel obligated to point out one eensy little thing:

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the number of printed pieces for this small set - four nice ones to be exact.

Just four? I count eight - burger menu tile, life preserver tile, Plankton's suit body (astromech cylinder), Plankton figure (1x1 round brick), Spongebob's head/body piece, Patrick's head, Patrick's torso, Patrick's legs. From the picture accompanying the caption I gather you're excluding the minifigure elements (well, unless one counts Plankton), but they are printed elements, after all. Or did you mean there are in fact only four nice ones, and four that aren't that nice?

Thanks 'KielDaMan' for this review, I guess the sponge must take Mermaidman's place now......goodness help those in Bikini Bottom....I wonder where Bikini Top is ? :laugh:

I didn't think much of this set until I built mine, actually I like it and very Sponge Bob indeed. :wink:

Sadly we'll never hear those words again.....tumblr_m6vl66tLUC1qhcshf.gif

R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine :sadnew:

Great review, Kiel!! I absolutely love the Visual Dictionary type of presentations! They add so much to a review, so that it's not just picture, then text, then picture, then text, etc.

It does look like a nice set, especially the lovely dark azure pieces, but I'm not a giant SpongeBob fan and the price does seem a little high. :sad:

Does anyone know of another theme (other than modulars and other exclusives) that TLG has released less sets for, because SpongeBob I believe has only had 14 sets over its 7 year history, which seems like an incredibly low number.

- The Brick is Epic

Well, there are single-wave themes, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I think Spongebob holds the record for fewest sets per year in average, but I think that's because the limited source material, and LEGO already covered most of those (based on the few episodes I saw).

BTW excellent review Kiel, great as always! I voted Below Average because this set has no interest for me and the parts aren't that useful, either.

EDIT: I'm a Citizen!

Edited by Bricktooth

Just four? I count eight - burger menu tile, life preserver tile, Plankton's suit body (astromech cylinder), Plankton figure (1x1 round brick), Spongebob's head/body piece, Patrick's head, Patrick's torso, Patrick's legs. From the picture accompanying the caption I gather you're excluding the minifigure elements (well, unless one counts Plankton), but they are printed elements, after all. Or did you mean there are in fact only four nice ones, and four that aren't that nice?

I was referring to the non-minifig printed pieces (I don't count the Plankton 1x1 round brick), and I overlooked that part, so my bad. default_blush.gif And like what I've said in the review I do think all the printed elements, both minifig- and non-minifig parts, are all very nice and I wished we'll get more of these in the more popular themes. default_satisfied.gif