Sign in to follow this  
cunningfox99

Item purchased from eBay - am I being unreasonable?

Bought 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner off eBay and it arrived yesterday.

It was described as:

"All pieces are accounted for and comes with the instruction booklet. Does not come with the original box unfortunately. All pieces are in excellent condition.

Started the build last night and so far I have noticed that:

1 minifigure has the completly wrong head and wrong leg colour

1 minifig has totally wrong colour of legs

Wrong colour should pads (epaulette)

2 missing pistols and 1 missing sword(not a big deal)

Red sloping brick from the top of the rudder is missing

Parrot is not there

Statue from the front of the ship is missing a hand and it's forearm arm has a crack running from it's wrist to past the elbow

2 of the blue 4x2 blue bricks are Megablocks branded lego blocks

Am I being rediculous to expect this set to be 'perfect' with all the correct pieces or is it fair game to go back and complain? Of course I can purchase these bits online for about £15 delivered in total but thats not the point.

Cheers

Edited by cunningfox99

Your complaint seems reasonable to me. If it was described as "all pieces are accounted for," which suggests "complete" without using that word, you have a right to have it be complete (with the correct parts rather than substitutions, especially non-LEGO ones), and if it says everything is in "excellent" condition, the condition of the minifigure used for the figurehead should be much better. I think the seller needs to make it up to you.

Your complaint seems reasonable to me. If it was described as "all pieces are accounted for," which suggests "complete" without using that word, you have a right to have it be complete (with the correct parts rather than substitutions, especially non-LEGO ones), and if it says everything is in "excellent" condition, the condition of the minifigure used for the figurehead should be much better. I think the seller needs to make it up to you.

I agree with this. You should demand some of your money back.

You are not being unreasonable at all. I bet you paid a fair amount for that set and entitled to expect it exactly as described. I get tired of ebay sellers who don't describe their items accurately, I've had more than one experience of a set arriving with pieces missing or not in the condition described. You are entitled to a partial refund to the value of the items missing or damaged.

Check the photo of the item very carefuly. Was the statue missing? Were the bricks missing? Technically if it is in the photos you should expect it to be delivered, if not buyer beware. In this case 'parts accounted for' can mean that he acknowledges they are missing or replaced, but in general it would be expected to mean complete.

Ask the seller, prove the missing parts on the photo, and a small discount should be awarded. No response from seller - then open an ebay complaint.

If I sell something via Ebay I will always state what I know to be wrong or missing.

If it's posted as complete. Then it should be. However in general people are stupid. So I never trust what someone has posted. I only buy from Ebay if it's "mint in box/unopened".

Thank you all for your replies.

I didn't pay the usual prices of £150+ on ebay as he 'stupidly' mis titled the set but included the correct set number so I managed to bag it for the opening price.

As I mentioned I have messaged him with the missing parts so far and will complete the build tonight and give him a final list of the missing bits and replacement cost later and wait for a response.

I ordered a separate 'job lot' of 6 different classic pirate islands/sets earlier in the week and the seller detailed every set, everything down to the missing hats/swords from each sets to enable me to pre-empt arrival by ordering these pieces to complete the sets. At least I know what I am getting. I will be much more carefull in future.

Thanks again.

Edited by cunningfox99

hey, ur complaint is reasonable - missing parts, broken parts, megablocks parts substitudes - no way! but: if its only those things mentioned and the rest is excellent as described u can be very lucky, because those things can be changed fast and easily, most important on those sets are parts and its condition that can be found in no other set or are very rare all in all. in the case of 6286 i think of the following:

bow and stern parts, sails!, that one pirate with white torso, the green hatches, the white modified brick on top of the stern and maybe the white wdge plates + masts, all the rest parts can be substituted easily. so, complain about what was not correct but also feel lucky about the rest if really excellent

I had this happen to me when I bought an A-wing set. They listed it as complete and I found that there were a few parts missing. I made a list of the missing parts and looked up what they would cost via the Pick-a-Brick store online. I e-mailed the seller and gave them a choice of either sending me the missing parts or refunding me the cost of buying the parts and having them shipped to me. Needless to say they opted to send me the parts. It was really the principle of the matter as I probably had spare parts laying around that could be used, but they listed it as complete and I expected it to be complete. Had I known it wasn't complete I probably wouldn't even have bid on it.

As I mentioned I have messaged him with the missing parts so far and will complete the build tonight and give him a final list of the missing bits and replacement cost later and wait for a response.

Not all eBay sellers are competent at selling nor do they have an in depth knowledge of LEGO or LEGO Pirates, so you end up with purchases like this while the seller remains oblivious to their auction's shortcomings.

The more experienced LEGO sellers will acknowledge their error and send you the missing pieces, but if this is an inexperienced seller you probably won't be so lucky.

Has the seller responded favourably or at all?

This is a shame and happened to me as well.

I bought a Jabba's Sail Barge off eBay and paid just over $200 AU for it when it said it was complete but when I came to build it I found around 20 parts missing or replaced. The Luke Minifig was wrong and had yellow head, one yellow hand and one black hand and should have been flesh coloured head and both hands. I was almost finished the build and up to the turret just at the end and then my Dad called and said he was going to pop over my house so I rushed and to pack up and clean the house and I ended up loosing the turret I was building (I think it was in my hand rushing around cleaning and I might have thrown it in the bin with other rubbish :pir-sing: ). I wanted to make a claim but couldn't be bothered but really the item was not as described. It would have cost me at least $30 - $40 to replace parts + shipping so I never bothered. Since I have bought a lot of bulk Lego and found the parts to replace everything except for the Luke Minifig :pir-grin: .

Yes, the seller was very helpfull. I emailed them over a list of the missing pieces with pictures and they sent them by mail. They sent 1 wrong piece (the red 3 sided triangle piece which sits on the side of the rear of the ship) but I wasn't going to quibbale at that point, found one on ebay for £0.50 delivered so just went with that for easyness and quickness.

Will post a few pictures over the weekend when I get the chance. I love the size and all round coolness of the ship and the sails.

...you are not being unreasonable... I believe you are entitled to a partial refund for all the missing and substituted parts... this has happens to me occasionally so I always (re)build the sets first before leaving feedback...

I was fortunate to have a positive resolution to a similar situation. I ordered a set lot of pirates and the description said that they were "complete in bags". When the sets came three of the four baseplates were missing and so were a lot of other pieces and figures. I compared what was provided to peeron and sent him a list of missing parts (about 30 over 4 sets). He sent me most of the big ones and said "The little ones are somewhere in a bin of parts I have, and when I am done selling the sets I have I am going to send you this bin free of charge". He still owes me a base plate, but that will come with this bin. Overall, a positive resolution considering he also added in a few more minifigs (including a classic female pirate) as a gesture of goodwill in that second shipment.

When I sell I make sure to take three pictures - the built set, a picture of all the pieces laid out (with manual if I have it), and the set bagged up. I am careful to try to clean pieces if needed and to put in the description precisely what pieces are missing. I only put complete if I can verify that all the pieces are there when compared to peeron.

EDIT: I'm sorry this post was found during a search, and I had no idea it was over 4 months old. I apologize for the necro-bump.

Edited by JeffCopp

Not all eBay sellers are competent at selling nor do they have an in depth knowledge of LEGO or LEGO Pirates, so you end up with purchases like this while the seller remains oblivious to their auction's shortcomings.

The more experienced LEGO sellers will acknowledge their error and send you the missing pieces, but if this is an inexperienced seller you probably won't be so lucky.

I agree to that as well, not all eBay sellers are AFOLs or have much knowledge about the sets they are selling, also as others have already mentioned, always read the description carefully and look at the pictures they upload. It is also too much of a hassle to raise a dispute over a few tiny parts. I would email him about it, if nothing comes out of it, just take a mental note and never to buy from that seller again. :classic: And lastly always, always check his feedback if there have been complains over similar items he had sold over the past few months.