Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

The New Sienna

i've used that echnuige before, but on star wars bounty hunters.

I am assuming "echniuge" is technique ;-)

I actually first used it on Vikings, so they could carry a third weapon, like a double battle axe as well as a shield and hand weapon (sword, small axe,etc.). I liked the idea, so I though I would transport it over for these special Marines of mine.

un fortunatly the bonty hunters couldn't reach them due the fact that their arms can't move like a egular humans.

I love how the new design looks on the program.... It can only look better when employed in real lego! Get on it! I want to see some pics!!!

The Marines look cool... I love the guns being held on the back. Makes them look more elite.

I love how the new design looks on the program.... It can only look better when employed in real lego! Get on it! I want to see some pics!!!

Yes, it generally looks better when actually built. Also, there are pieces not in the CAD program that really add to it, like flags, and row/long boats. and you can add rigging... speaking of rigging, maybe you can see that there isn't going to be any ratlines on a ship like this, that means all the rigging will be rope or thread. Does anyone know where one can get the nylon type rope Lego uses? Or am I stuck with sewing thread?

The Marines look cool... I love the guns being held on the back. Makes them look more elite.

Exactly!!!

Okay last update for a while. This might be the last CAD version of the ship before it gets built. I will be adding a pair of anchors and maybe reworking some of the rigging. It will also get some minor details in the lower decks.

First, some shots with some rigging...

siennarigged1.jpg

siennarigged2.jpg

siennarigged3.jpg

Then a shot of the ship with the oars retracted.

siennariggedoarsretracted.jpg

And a fun little action shot with the long boat out and about. I am not going to use this long boat, but since Lego doesn't give us a rowboat in MLCad, this will have to do for now!

siennariggedwlb.jpg

Enjoy! I hope to build her soon! (next week)

Some Construction photos.

Still to come... clean off, add real sails, decided if I am doing any rigging.

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

An experimental sail. It seems to fit pretty well! I think I am going to try to make some out of cloth, hopefully they will be even better!

build10.jpg

Ok, now that I'm done sneezing I can reflect upon this here Sienna. Both large sails and ten oars on a pirate ship seem a little bit strange. That must be one fast ship. The curves and color scheme look nice. Keep up the good work. *y*

Wow, Redbeard's tricorne is totally caked!

Wow that ship turned out real nice. Look forward to seeing the sails completed. *y*

hey where are the anchor/s?

It's going to be really hard to out run that well armed vessel. (or catch her if she's out gunned)

Ok, now that I'm done sneezing I can reflect upon this here Sienna. Both large sails and ten oars on a pirate ship seem a little bit strange. That must be one fast ship. The curves and color scheme look nice. Keep up the good work. *y*

some of the smaller lateen rigged vessels were also "ore equiped" according to the World of Jack Aubry book.

some of the smaller lateen rigged vessels were also "ore equiped" according to the World of Jack Aubry book.

Yes Xebecs, this kind of ship, evolved fomr the medievil galleons which where strictly oar powered. Latter then the Barbary pirates began using Xebecs with the Lateen rigged sails (good when not sailing with the wind) but removing the oars in favor of guns. This doesn't mean no one in the "golden" age of piracy ever rowed a ship though. Galleys still had oars, some times multiple banks. A famous Pirate, William Kidd, even commissioned his own Galley with sails and oars for battle.

I decided to do a Xebec with oars and a gun deck. The only way to do that was to put the guns ontop the oars. I like it because it is different and it has never been done on this forum before.

The castle forum did have a Lateen rigged Xebec, the red drake, but it was not rowed and had a castle theme.

I finished the sails and hopefully there will be some pics a little later. I will try to find some good light, and clean it off. Tomorrow I hope to start on a new ship.

I finished the sails and hopefully there will be some pics a little later. I will try to find some good light, and clean it off. Tomorrow I hope to start on a new ship.

*achoo* X-D

Why do you need to clean off your ship? It doesn't look dirty to me. X-D

I'll be looking forward to those pics.

*achoo* X-D

Why do you need to clean off your ship? It doesn't look dirty to me. X-D

I'll be looking forward to those pics.

Some parts where 'a little dirty'. ;-) I am working on the rigging right now. I guess it is going to have to be somewhat functional as I found the sails moved around a bit too much without any!

Edit: Whoa... Okay the rigging got a bit out of hand... I intended for it to look like something, but I actually ended up needing it for the ship to be functional... pics tomorrow when I wake up... which means today for some of you I suppose!

Yes Xebecs, this kind of ship, evolved fomr the medievil galleons which where strictly oar powered. Latter then the Barbary pirates began using Xebecs with the Lateen rigged sails (good when not sailing with the wind) but removing the oars in favor of guns. This doesn't mean no one in the "golden" age of piracy ever rowed a ship though. Galleys still had oars, some times multiple banks. A famous Pirate, William Kidd, even commissioned his own Galley with sails and oars for battle.

I decided to do a Xebec with oars and a gun deck. The only way to do that was to put the guns ontop the oars. I like it because it is different and it has never been done on this forum before.

The castle forum did have a Lateen rigged Xebec, the red drake, but it was not rowed and had a castle theme.

In real life this ship is very cool!

I didn't know xebecs where this big, I think this is a galley... Was the Red Drake a Xebec? I though it was a galley... As far as I know, a xebec is a ship with 1 deck with guns on it... But perhaps my source is wrong...

In real life this ship is very cool!

I didn't know xebecs where this big, I think this is a galley... Was the Red Drake a Xebec? I though it was a galley... As far as I know, a xebec is a ship with 1 deck with guns on it... But perhaps my source is wrong...

Technically speaking, perhaps it is a Galley as opposed to a Xebec. But I used the design mostly off of a Xebec, so it is somewhere in between perhaps... a Xeballey heehee Okay... who wants some pics?

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

final5.jpg

final6.jpg

final7.jpg

final8.jpg

final10.jpg

final11.jpg

A few shots of the rigging. I actually needed the rigging to be somewhat functional to get the sails to stay in place, so they don't move unless you move the little technic pieces in the right direction! It is actually very cool, but I never intended to do it. It worked out very well though.

finalrigging.jpg

finalrigging2.jpg

And a shot of the grappling hooks. They would not stay attached to the fore like this, they are just stored here. You could use all three in the same place, or use them to swing over to another ship as well as hook them on the rigging to pull the ships closer together.

finalgrappling.jpg

Wow, awesome work, ZCerberus! This is one unusual pirate ship, but very original too. The colors are great. *y* I enjoy the rigging and appreciate some of the finer details such as the grappling hooks and the anchor. The sails look similar to the type found in Evil Willy

No. Those sails are MUCH smaller. I think he was designing one that is roughly the same size as the ones used on the official Lego sets.

I meant in terms of the color.

By crooked I think you mean it tips forward quite a bit. Yes it is intential. The foremast on this type of ship leaned forward like this. There is a word for masts like this, but I do not know what it is!

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen this type of mast employed in a MOC if I'm not mistaken.

I meant in terms of the color.

No. I dyed the cloth those sails were cut from long before I joined the forums.

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen this type of mast employed in a MOC if I'm not mistaken.

Yes! Well I definately tried to make the Sienna different from any other ships we've had here before.

Lateen Sails, Oar power and Rigging that actually works were all additions that I think make it one of the most unique ships out there!

Inteesting design. Do not know if it has been posted or mentioned but the rowers in the first set of pictures... should they not sit differently (backwards), I mean the ship's bow is upfront (of course) and if the rowers start rowing, the ship would most likely be moving backwards or am I mistaken?

Anyway, great design.

Inteesting design. Do not know if it has been posted or mentioned but the rowers in the first set of pictures... should they not sit differently (backwards), I mean the ship's bow is upfront (of course) and if the rowers start rowing, the ship would most likely be moving backwards or am I mistaken?

Anyway, great design.

I suppose it depends on if they are pushing or pulling! I suppose when you are pulling, it would be going backwards... The top sections of the ship are removeable, so I can always go in and flip them around without much trouble. Thanks for the insight

This is the first time I post in this thread, but that doesn't mean I have not been following it.

It's great to be able to follow how you made this ship Lord ZCerberus.

Those sails look very realistic. Same goes for the rigging.

Colors are good, lots of detail. Headline news I would say *y*

Headline news I would say *y*

Thanks!

I think it is time to merge this thread with the old one...

This thread has sort of been dead for a while, but while working on the Arbiter II in MLCAD, I had to export some models and import them into another model.

After learning how to do this, I decided to try to put the Sienna, since it was the only modle I had, into the picture with the harbor. I didn't realize the Sienna was so long!

Anyhow, it is 1600x1200, as that is the max res that MLCAD put out, so I will only thumbnail link it. Click the photo to see it. When I have time next week I will try to remember to snap a photo of the real version in such a configuration!

harborwsienna2.jpg_thumb.jpg harborwsienna.jpg_thumb.jpg harborwsienna3.jpg_thumb.jpg harborwsienna4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... I think that the first one could make a nice back round for my computer... Could someone add a backround of the fort on a shore and a river running between them? Like THIS, only better X-D , and with palmtrees in the back round...

Hmmm... I think that the first one could make a nice back round for my computer... Could someone add a backround of the fort on a shore and a river running between them? and with palmtrees in the back round...

I actually kinda liked the scribbly one!

You seem to have edited out my "Like THIS only better X-D" in your qoutation... Also, I don't like the scribbly one, I just drew it up as an example, also, I think whoever chooses to make that Backround for me should, in small cursive writing in the bottom, put © Zcerebus 2007, so that the other people who use my computer (I share with siblings) won't think that I made it in Ldraw, because I am no good a Ldraw...