REVIEW: 9499 – Gungan Sub

136 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 – Darth Maul
    • 4 – Qui-Gon Jinn
    • 3 – Padme Amidala
    • 2 – Young Anakin
    • 1 – Jar-Jar Binks
  2. 2. What attracts you the most in this set?

• The Queen Amidala minifig – a majestic addition to any SW minifig collection!
    • The new and improved Gungan Sub – a significant update of the blocky ’99 version
    • The complete package – the set appeals to me as a whole
    • Meh.. Messa dunno likey-likey dis set

Great review, man! Even though I really liked reading this, I will probably skip this set, it's just not my style. :hmpf_bad: I would like to get my hands on those clear bubble parts though. I'd use them to build some Daryl Starbird / Ed roth type wild 1960's style kustom cars with acrylic domes. :cry_happy:

Great review of a cool set. I might get it just for the canopy bubbles alone. Really hope Lego will make these in trans-yellow and/or trans-black, too!

Thanks for the fantastic review! :thumbup:

I love the Amidala minifigure, but she's WAY taller then the others (I know that all dress-figures are, but her hat also adds to it).

Also, Ewan has a cleft chin. A double chin would refer to having enough fat around your neck and under your chin, making it look like you have a second one. So you could say Jabba has a double chin, while Obi-Wan has a cleft! :classic:

Also, Ewan has a cleft chin. A double chin would refer to having enough fat around your neck and under your chin, making it look like you have a second one. So you could say Jabba has a double chin, while Obi-Wan has a cleft! :classic:

Whoopsie! Thanks for the correction. :blush: It's a bit of a misnomer in this part of the world, so yeah, double cleft chin it is! :grin:

Just wanted to share with you this very cool "Building Video Review" of this 9499 Gungan Sub made by the great Artifex Creations (I added this at the end of the review). I think this is a nice way to appreciate the build of the sub if you wouldn't get the chance to purchase this set.

Enjoy! :classic:

Fantastic review - thank you for posting that.

Personally, I'll have to get this set. I never had the original and even though I have everyone except Amidala, I don't mind getting extra minifigures of TPM characters.

Great review! I'll definitely be getting this set; it's a vast improvement over the last version, and that Amidala minifig... :wub:

Thanks for the review. I was needing to look at stuff before I considered getting it. I don't particularly care for the sub (or most SW ships that is) but I think TLG did a great job with the source material. It looks as close to it as I would perceive them doing. The overall pieces aren't of much use for me, but I might be surprised when it comes time to build something. I don't own any of the figures, so that is a big draw for me. Of course, Amidala is beautiful, but I've been wanting a Qui-Gon and young Obi for a while (although my favorite Obi is from this year's Anikan set). I just looked at bricklink and it would be over $50 just for the figures (without shipping from different sellers), so I might as well just buy the whole set for not much more and TLG receives the money directly. Otherwise I would pass for sure due to the cost. I will have to just wait for a sale.

Thanks again. The pictures looked great. I just watched TPM within the last few months to gear up for SW community builds, so I remember this well.

I especially like the review's direct comparison with the older version of the sub which shows how much nicer-looking this new set is - aside from the undecorated bubble windscreens. Due to its sleek, organic look this is certainly one of the more difficult vehicles from Star Wars to capture in LEGO. And after 12 years it was time for an upgrade, even if would never sell as well as, for instance, the 6th iteration of the X-Wing.

Great review Kiel! :thumbup:

The original version of this set was actually the first Star Wars set I had ever purchased. Therefore, it is a bit higher on my list than most other people. :blush:

It was the only set at the time to include Obi-Wan from EP1, which made it unique. I also always loved underwater type sets.

Now, 13 years later we get a 2nd edition. I think it is a great update, the organic feel of the Bongo sub is captured very well.

Although I do miss the random underwater structure and animals. :laugh:

Overall, I would give it a 4.5/5, which includes bonus points for nostalgia. :grin:

Thanks for the very detailed review, I've been waiting for a review and to get one as comprehensive as yours makes it worth the wait. Its often assumed that the main reason to own this set is the Amidala fig (and she is very impressive), but you show that the model itself is also very impressive. Although not the most popular of SW vehicles, I also rather like it and find this Lego rendition to be a particularly accurate and impressive rendition of the source material. It goes without saying this is a huge improvement over the 1999 set which looks quite primitive in comparison. In may ways I think this is the pick of the SW summer sets (Jabba's palace is probably my favorite but the price is very off-putting). I look forward to owning it.

Excellent review! :thumbup: I own the first Gungan sub and I must say this is a nice improvement. I'm not fond of the stickers and wish there was some decoration on the bubble screens like the original set had. At first I thought the shape (especially on the wing tips) wasn't really like the movie version but thinking about it now it's a pretty darn hard shape to get right so I give props to LEGO for getting this close.

Awesome review, thank you! It seems like an okay set, but not worth that price tag. :hmpf_bad: The main selling point is obviously the figs. Queen Amidala is a great minifig, and I hope we'll see more dresses in a similar style! :thumbup: Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's breather faces are cool, too. I'd like to have it, but because there's so many other great sets, I'll wait for a sale on this one.

Whoopsie! Thanks for the correction. :blush: It's a bit of a misnomer in this part of the world, so yeah, double cleft chin it is! :grin:

Ha ha, no prob. I was afraid you'd take it the wrong way. :grin:

We learn something everyday though. Yay for learning!

Great review, and a pretty good set, I should say. Doesn't appeal to me personally, but very well designed.

About the little orange thing from Bag 1, that's some sort of cargo container seen in the Bongo's side cockpits in the movie and also visible in the cross-section drawing. Some nice attention to detail there.

Thanks for this outstanding review. I was on the shelf as to whether I should buy this set or bricklink Amidala, but I think I might just have to fork out when it goes on sale on Amazon or somesuch! Its a really nice set and I don't see why some folk are saying Amidala shouldn't be it, because besides the Naboo fighter, there's not much else she can go in. Unless they release a chrome Nubian starship :tongue:

Thanks again Kiel!

I just might be getting this, due to your wonderful review, Kiel!

Due to nostalgia - those 1999 models I will never forget and this is a lovely re-issue that pays so much credits to the original set!

Due to having the Amidala fig 13 years after her lovely comic picture on the original 1999-2001 boxes.

Gotta have that Amidala. Heck, I'm even OK with another Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan because of the alternate head printings. This one isn't at the top of my list, but it's something that I'll get eventually.

Great review! This set is amazing and a must buy if you haven't already. Its actually one of the only SW ships I've bought as lately. :wub:

The queen fig is the icing on the cake too. :classic:

I just want the Amidala figure , after getting the original gungan sub in 99. Still a great set for those who missed the set the first time round.