TheLegoDr

Modular Madness: Starlight Cinema

indexed.gif B-M-07B

I originally built a bank for a toysnbricks contest some months ago and was really pleased with it. When this contest came up I couldn't re-use that mini I built, so I had to come up with some new ideas. Not having looked at it for multiple months I was able to give it a fresh perspective and realized a lot of things I would have done differently. I tinkered with different building ideas and designs in my head before I actually had any time to sit down and build something. Wednesday 7/11 I finally had a few hours of downtime, so I set to work. I originally put together something with dark green. I figured we had these other colors, maybe a dark green building would be a nice addition. I wanted to name it the Emerald Theater, but my wife thought it was too dark. So I tore it all apart and started fresh with some livelier colors more apt for a movie theater. I hope you enjoy seeing the new/improved Starlight Cinema.

7577081066_10d8c25396_c.jpg

The front facade. You can see some big windows on the bottom with some SNOT work on the sides. I changed my marquee completely. I originally used this piece in white, but then I decided to add some more lights in front to make it more inviting. The second level throws in some color with the medium blue and red. Along both sides of the vertical sign, the red cones resemble theater curtains. Many older theaters were reconditioned to house movie screens, so I thought that went along with the idea of a more historic downtown.

7577084744_77d326f50a_c.jpg

The front angle. It shows the depth to the building. I thought making it one deeper on the back would be easier to house a screen/seating (which you'll see in a moment). It gives a nicer view to the marquee and roofing.

7577101472_1f5aee905b_c.jpg

The back angle. Shows more of the depth. There is a little dumpster for this and neighboring buildings with a few boxes beside the dumpster.

7577182754_1a4c63cc01_c.jpg

If you remove the top, you will see some nice stadium seating. I thought the building should be modular.

7577179750_179e5a84cd_c.jpg

And on the other side, they seem to be screening a film about a wizard. Hope it is a good one. It must be in 3-D because I just noticed a giant finger coming at the screen.

I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures. It was a rushed, but fun little build. I have really enjoyed building in mini form. I will continue to do so in the future. I have a few ideas in mind of building already released sets into mini form. I just need to figure out the exact scale I want to work with.

Here is a link to the flickr account. It shows a few more pictures including one with the rest of the mini modulars.

And don't forget to vote ;)

Really nice, LegoDr. ! It reminds me alot of the theatre from the town plan set. Great peice use with the screen, and I like the texturing on the back, with the garage door bricks!

Neat and tidy looking cinema in micro-scale 'TheLegoDr', nice touch is the movie on the 2x2 tile ! :wink:

Good luck and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks for the replies.

turtleman2020 Sure, use away. I'm glad you like it so much to want to use it.

Dakar A It does resemble the town plan in color for sure. I looked at it to see how to do a theater, but I tried to not resemble it if I could avoid it. That's why I didn't use dark red for the curtain effect on the front.

lightningtiger Thanks. I tried to keep it pretty streamlined without being too wild. I liked the idea of the mini movie playing inside. Adds another "play" feature.

I'm not sure why I didn't get more replies to this, but hopefully everyone that has viewed it liked it.

Edited by TheLegoDr

Great little cinema 'TheLegoDr.' I like the colors you chose for the facade and the HP tile for the screenplay. :classic:

Good luck on the contest. :thumbup:

Nice entry, even with interior at this small scale - thumbs up! :thumbup:

Good luck in the contest! :classic: