Darkblane

Modular Madness: Museum of History

indexed.gif B-OM-23B

Museum of History

Welcome to the Museum of History, founded in 1938 by the great explorer, Victor Storm, to house and display his vast collection of artifacts, acquired over many years of exploration. His likeness can still be seen watching over the entrance to the museum, though this is a later addition to the building added, in memorandum, by his daughter following his disappearance, whilst on expedition, three years later.

His granddaughter currently maintains the museum, continuing to enhance it with new exhibits, such as those on the recently renovated second floor dedicated to the industrial age, space and underwater exploration. The museum is divided into a number of halls spread across three floors.

7519714596_189f9798d1_z.jpg

Ground Floor

To the left of the entrance you will find the Hall of Dark Ages and to the right you will find the Hall of Archeology. Please pay at the kiosk directly opposite the entrance to the museum. Guidebooks and souveniers can also be purchased from this kiosk.

7519716328_d3cc76f427_z.jpg

First Floor

Standing at the top of the stairs, to the right you will find the Hall of Buccaneers and to the left you will find the Hall of Oriental Dreams. Don't forget to view the Minerals of the Earth exhibit in the hallway.

7519717348_26c6ce4718_z.jpg

Second Floor

Standing at the top of the stairs, to the right you will find the Hall of Astronautics and to the left you will find the Hall of Oceanology. The model Traction Engine in the hallway was commisioned by a private collector and donated to the museum last year.

7519718628_cfff625ef0_z.jpg

Top Floor - No Public Access

This floor houses the store room where additional artifacts and exhibits, currently not on display, are held pending restoration in the room across the hall. The movement for the clock visible on the outside of the museum can also be accessed from the hallway on this floor.

7519719904_46e82857f4_z.jpg

This is actually a model I started designing and building last year, but it's been sat on my desk for a while and this contest was a great excuse to finish it, photograph it and get it online. This is my first attempt at a modular building and probably the biggest creation I've built so far. I originally decided to build a museum as it gave me a way to use an interesting selection of parts from themes that I don't usually work with.

With the rules limiting the number of photos to five in this post and the building having four floors in total (it's about the same height as the Town Hall), it's quite hard to show all of the detail within each of the rooms, so I'd really advise you all to check out the full set on Flickr as there are a lot more detailed photos of each of the individual halls and exhibits:

Museum of History on Flickr

I think this is pretty fantastic. I've been thinking about doing a museum, but wasn't sure how to pull it off without it being to cramped, or to large. You've given me something to think about.

Fantastic creation. One question for you: the bricks that are used on this creation are bricks that you bought on a set or you ordered only for this creation?

Just a curiosity.

That's a great entry for the contest! The museum building has a very classic style, and selection of some of the pieces (hinges) for detailing is amazing. The building looks the way like every museum should - it's interesting enough to be tempted to step inside. The interiors is equally interesting, with lots of display and different themes. You really managed to use a great selection of bricks in one set up. It's hard to believe this is your first modular, as it simply looks fantastic. Good luck at the contest! :thumbup:

One question for you: the bricks that are used on this creation are bricks that you bought on a set or you ordered only for this creation?

When I first started creating the ground floor, I used bricks that I had available (I'd purposefully bought the City of Alantis set as I wanted to build something with columns using the round grille bricks), but as I began to develop the upper floors and redevelop the ground floor slightly (originally it was all white with no light bluish grey), most of the bricks I ordered specifically for the creation.

The only exception to this was that I tried to develop the contents of the halls based upon some of the parts I already had, but wouldn't normally use, primarily parts I'd got from promotional polybags (like the white ninja) or duplicate collectable minifigures.

For a mostly white building, this looks quite good. As realistic as a monochromatic color scheme is, the modulars are really colorful. But this is a great build to complement them. I like the interior with the different rooms. Very clever use of space to make a functional museum. The stairs are really simple, but look great with that tile. The clock and the year on the top work well too (and blend with the series).

Good luck in the contest! There is some really good competition. Hopefully I can finish mine in time.

Very nice, clean design.

Nice idea also. Lego never made (at least as far as I know) museum, because its difficult to create so grand looking building as museum. I wonder how next years city version will look, because it will be even more limited in number of used bricks than modular buildings.

Now, that's a nice building. The idea is wonderful, and you've executed it just about perfectly. The themed rooms are fantastic, and the whole thing looks stunning inside and out. Add to that a great presentation, and you've just raised the bar even more for this contest :)

EDIT: Oops, post number 1.000. I was planning on saving that for something else, but whaddyaknow, let's just say that commenting on this museum was a worthy way to celebrate my Count status!

Edited by L@go

I'm speachless, it's totally AWESOME 'Darkblane' ! :excited:

It is well detailed on the inside, on the out just enough to say it was built in the Georgian period. :thumbup:

Good luck and Brick On 'Darkblane' ! :classic:

Fantastic detail; love the shuttle and skeleton excavation, but you loose points for not using an Indiana Jones fig in the museum. :laugh:

Edited by gotoAndLego

Beautifully done, your interiors are probably my favorite yet!

Lots of beautiful details, my favorite exhibits are the Dark Ages, and Oriental Dreams. Great build and I hope you do well in the contest :classic:

That's one heck of a first attempt at building a modular! The outside is great, although it might benefit from a tad more variety in the upper floors, but the inside is beyond compare. To reiterate Darkblane's comment in the opening post, everyone needs to check out the flickr page to see more detailed views of the exhibits - each is unique and each is stunning. I hope this isn't the last modular we see from you.

Blogged on Brick Town Talk!

This is truly fantastic and all the little details are just fantastic. Now I want one of these on my modular street!!

What makes it even more outstanding is that it's your first modular MOC, it's unbelievably good. :classic:

Wow, this looks so good from both the interior and the exterior! *oh2*

I like the diversity of the exhibits you chose, my favorites being the space exibit and the bone display! Neat stuff!

This MOC would look great next to TownHall and Firebrigade. It has the same feeling. I like the all white choice of color. Great interior and the use of the collectable minifigs. Great work there :thumbup:

WOW, using mainly white bricks you managed to create a very attractive facade. I already liked your museum before I even saw the interior shots. After seeing them I'm totally blown away. The interior is top notch. Definitely a claimant for the 1st place in this contest!