So for whatever reason, the CBFS didn't install on my machine.

Did you received any error message during installation? Are you able to start the application? If yes, what do you see in the status bar?

I am using Win 7 64bit, and tried 32bit version of LDD2POVray on WinXP installed on VMware virtual machine and it had no problem with that, so it should work also for you.

Cool, thanks, good to know. Now I just have to dig my XP install disk (as well as my StarCraft disk) out of the attic... :wink:

D'oh! Just saw hrontos' official explanation. Good to get official word, and it is extremely surprising and nice that EldoS provided the license for free!

Yes, I have to say, Mr. Mayevski from the EldoS is really nice guy. When I asked him to support this non-commercial project with a non-commercial licence, he was very nice with the licence and the way he communicates even with a non-paying customer and helped me a lot with many advices. As a non-paying customer I did not expected any support, but he was really very nice, provided full support and answered all my questions.

I think, this is related to POV-Ray's feature which helps to protect files, which may come from directories, which you did not intended to be used by POV-Ray.

Go to Options menu in POV-Ray and see Script I/O Restrictions. Allow Read, restrict Write or No Restrictions should be sufficient.

Doesn't seem to work either way.

Did you put Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" at the end of the povray.ini?

Yes.

Did you received any error message during installation? Are you able to start the application? If yes, what do you see in the status bar?

I get the "Unable to add mounting point. The parameter is incorrect." error when I try to set up the path for the LDD brickset includes.

-Nathan

I get the "Unable to add mounting point. The parameter is incorrect." error when I try to set up the path for the LDD brickset includes.

The EB member "kamos" seems to have the same/similar problem. Are you also using Win7 64bit as him? What version? What antivirus or any other software which may monitor/restrict administrative tasks?

The EB member "kamos" seems to have the same/similar problem. Are you also using Win7 64bit as him? What version? What antivirus or any other software which may monitor/restrict administrative tasks?

I am using Win7 64bit but as to other software, I'm not sure, I'll try installing on my laptop where I have a better idea of what's going on.

Edited by Smartiac

I am using Win7 64bit but as to other software, I'm not sure, I'll try installing on my laptop where I have a better idea of what's going on.

I found a reason for the error apearing when trying to setup the paths (Unable to add mounting point. Parameter is incorrect.). My mistake. It appears only when the path is initially entered or changed (after the dialog is confirmed). But the LDD2POVray should work after restarting the LDD2POVray. Error is fixed in the version uploaded recently (so no LDD2POVray restart will be necessary). It also contains the latest CBFS driver (3.2.110.277).

If the error appears also when you start the LDD2POVray, we have to investigate further, since I could not repeat that.

I found a reason for the error apearing when trying to setup the paths (Unable to add mounting point. Parameter is incorrect.). My mistake. It appears only when the path is initially entered or changed (after the dialog is confirmed). But the LDD2POVray should work after restarting the LDD2POVray. Error is fixed in the version uploaded recently (so no LDD2POVray restart will be necessary). It also contains the latest CBFS driver (3.2.110.277).

If the error appears also when you start the LDD2POVray, we have to investigate further, since I could not repeat that.

Thanks for the help, now, however, POVray can't find the includes. #include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin" Maybe my output path is wrong?

Thanks for the help, now, however, POVray can't find the includes. #include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin" Maybe my output path is wrong?

OK. So now you have the LDD2POVray working without any errors? Driver installed, service running, no error during startup?

If you changed the path for the includes, you have to convert the model once again, so that the includes are generated to new path.

Could you, please, share the messages from POV-Ray when you start rendering?

Mine looks like this (just scroll the relevant messages into view of message pane and select Copy Pane from Edit menu):

-

Preset INI file is 'C:\USERS\MARTIN\DOCUMENTS\POV-RAY\V3.7\INI\QUICKRES.INI', section is '[5464x3072, No AA]'.

Preset source file is 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\LEGO Creations\Models\platetest.pov'.

Rendering with 4 threads.

Parser Options

Input file: C:\Users\Martin\Documents\LEGO Creations\Models\platetest.pov

Remove bounds........On

Split unions.........Off

Library paths:

\\.\LDDIncludes

C:\Users\Martin\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include

C:\windows\Fonts

Clock value: 0.000 (Animation off)

Martin Hronský today released LDD2PovRay; a tool that for the first time allows LDD users to create photo-realistic renderings directly from a LDD model.

And here are some test renderings [...]

As a fan of POV-Ray rendering myself, I have to say that these are absolutely fantastic!

I stumbled across @hrontos's renders on Brickshelf just before this thread was started, and wondered what had produced them. They were obviously not produced using the LGEO library (the wheels on the render of 5761 Mini Digger gave it away as they still showed LDraw/LDD-style angles and no LEGO logo), yet they still had LEGO logos on the studs and bevelled corners. I'm glad to have been enlightened.

Although I'll probably stick with the LDraw/LDView/POV-Ray solution (which is more to do with LDraw vs. LDD than anything), I must congratulate you on the excellent work that has gone into this.

Getting "Parse Error: Cannot open include file ldd_default_colors.inc with some models and ldd_colors_declarations.bin with other models. Yes the include path is set in povray.ini as described here: http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/index.php?p=2_14_POV-Ray-setup

I do think I messed up the path in LDD to POV but I can't get it to reset to default and there seems to be no separate setting file I could delete to reset the setting to default. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but never got the initial setting screen.

This is what I have:

C:\Users\HPDV7-6135dx\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\

C:\Users\HPDV7-6135dx\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\LDDinc\

Using 64 bits LDD to POV, 64 bits POV-Ray, and on 64 bits Windows 7.

Edited by Lego Otaku

Getting "Parse Error: Cannot open include file ldd_default_colors.inc with some models and ldd_colors_declarations.bin with other models. Yes the include path is set in povray.ini as described here: http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/index.php?p=2_14_POV-Ray-setup

I do think I messed up the path in LDD to POV but I can't get it to reset to default and there seems to be no separate setting file I could delete to reset the setting to default. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but never got the initial setting screen.

This is what I have:

C:\Users\HPDV7-6135dx\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\LDDinc\

Your paths seems to be ok (values itself are not that important, it can be any valid path).

1. You start LDD2POVray and it starts without any error.

2. Status bar states that CBFS driver is installed and running.

3. You open some simple LXF model and convert it using convert button.

4. LDD2POVray generates POV file and necessary BIN include into selected include path (C:\Users\HPDV7-6135dx\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\LDDinc\).

5. You start the POV-Ray 3.7 RC3, RC5 or RC6, open the POV file and click render. LDD2POVRay must be still running. And POV-Ray fails.

What output you get in message window of POV-Ray? Not only the error message itself, but also the informational messages before as produced by POV-Ray.

Thank you.

Not really on topic, but I love how you made the "bullseye" patterns on the wings. I had scoffed when other AFOLs lamented the fact that 10226 used stickers instead of brick built patterns, since I couldn't figure how brick-built patterns like that would be feasible. But now I'm not so sure.

On-topic, this looks like it will be a valuable tool for the LDD builder, and I may use this if I create an LDD model intended to be presented to the general public, like for a Cuusoo proposal.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But some of them are floating. Need to adjust to build with real bricks. You can download the LXF.

Good question.

One reasons to only allow "boring" LDD screenshots would be concistency - all screenshots look the same. Also, LDD2PovRay does not support flex elements at the moment.

But let me talk to Calabar and see what he thinks. :classic:

It would be nice if we update our LDD screenshot to POV-ray render, too.(In case of all parts can be covert correctly.)

Flex elements can be "borrow" from LDD screenshot.(Not difficult cause they use same camera angle, as pic below)

This duck is my first render test. It took 4 minutes from click run, one light, fast radiosity, 800x600 AA.

Run on my old PC AMD phenom 9600 @2.4 ghz.

2nd test, Tuk Tuk Car. 3rd 4000012 Starwars test ISS pinball machine crystal Yoda

7523713506_6aed94fb3f.jpg

LEGO Pinball Machine with 7 flippers by Nachapon S., on Flickr

qNgDs0.jpgzxquCy.pngkqzGNb.png7uozoV.png

Edited by bbqqq

As a fan of POV-Ray rendering myself, I have to say that these are absolutely fantastic!

I stumbled across @hrontos's renders on Brickshelf just before this thread was started, and wondered what had produced them. They were obviously not produced using the LGEO library (the wheels on the render of 5761 Mini Digger gave it away as they still showed LDraw/LDD-style angles and no LEGO logo), yet they still had LEGO logos on the studs and bevelled corners. I'm glad to have been enlightened.

Although I'll probably stick with the LDraw/LDView/POV-Ray solution (which is more to do with LDraw vs. LDD than anything), I must congratulate you on the excellent work that has gone into this.

Thank you very much. There is still long way to go to make it look more realistic, some bricks probably will need manual modelling since the LDD geometry when used by POV-Ray shows some errors which are not visible in LDD but we have at least a complete brick support which provides a good starting point. So now probably circle smoothing and flex parts are the next to be implemented.

I have to say big thank you to Superkalle for his extensive work on colors, brick categorization, excelent idea with color and position variance to make the model more realistic and all his advices and suggestions. And of course to TLG for a permission to release this.

Include files which could be left open source are open source so if anybody wants to make suggestion/improvement, all of them are welcome.

Maybe my project was too complex? I grabbed a simplier version, a mini Star Destroyer and it's running now. The complex version I tried can't be re-opened with LDD without having some 20 or parts removed due to illegal connection. :/

I'll try this on my main computer (dual Intel 5650 XEON CPU), with multi-core support rendering with POV-Ray 3.7 should go by very fast. Right now it's been shut down for a few days, with heat wave hitting 100°F and the heat my rig puts out when doing full work can raise my room temp to over 150 in minutes.

Impressive results! Almost looking like the real thing :thumbup:

I recently installed LDD on my PC (for a future project) and I'll give this a try as soon as I made more progress with my LDD creation.

Impressive results! Almost looking like the real thing :thumbup:

I recently installed LDD on my PC (for a future project) and I'll give this a try as soon as I made more progress with my LDD creation.

:hmpf_bad: You should see the LDraw renderings. :moar:

Thank you very much for create such a great tool. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Maybe this is better than LDD5 update. :wub:

Edited by bbqqq

Thank you very much for create such a great tool. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Maybe this is better than LDD5 update. :wub:

:classic: I am really glad you like it. Last two days it looked more like installation trouble maker than a useful tool. :grin:

I like your rendering of the pinball machine. What resolution did you used for the rendering? AA or not? How long did it take?

Maybe my project was too complex? I grabbed a simplier version, a mini Star Destroyer and it's running now. The complex version I tried can't be re-opened with LDD without having some 20 or parts removed due to illegal connection. :/

Actually I made some renderings when I tested the conversion and POV-Ray limits to find what is the maximum.

Do you remmember this alienwar9's creation?

mawlr-fields-final_2.png

1366x768

This one was rendered at minimum level of detail, using original LDD palette (that's why the colors are so strange). About 50 minutes parsing, few minutes rendering. Of course, at least level of detail with bevels would be better. As you see, the flex parts are complete mess.

I'll try this on my main computer (dual Intel 5650 XEON CPU), with multi-core support rendering with POV-Ray 3.7 should go by very fast. Right now it's been shut down for a few days, with heat wave hitting 100°F and the heat my rig puts out when doing full work can raise my room temp to over 150 in minutes.

I had similar problem, we have hot summer and I had problems with sudden shutdowns due to processor overheating, I had to reduce the maximum frequency to handle it.

Just for motivation to turn on the heating "beast":

olympic-tower_bridge_5.png

2732x1536,1803x1014,1366x768

10214 Tower bridge built by yellost.

Rendered using the default settings, just level of detail set to maximum. Rendered at 5464x3072, No AA. Rendering time was about 18 hours using 4 threads on i3@2184MHz.

Edited by hrontos

This is what I have:

I have roughly the same problem here, sitting on Win XP 32 bit, the following error shows when it gets to the line

#include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin":

"ldd_default_colors.inc" line 20: Parse Error: Illegal character in input file, value is ffffff80.

I suppose it has something to do with the color options in LDD2POV?

I have roughly the same problem here, sitting on Win XP 32 bit, the following error shows when it gets to the line

#include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin":

"ldd_default_colors.inc" line 20: Parse Error: Illegal character in input file, value is ffffff80.

I suppose it has something to do with the color options in LDD2POV?

This means, you are directly accessing the bin includes.

Your Library Path in POV-Ray should contain Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes and not direct path to the includes folder.

And of course LDD2POVRay must be running while POV-Ray parses the scene.

:classic: I am really glad you like it. Last two days it looked more like installation trouble maker than a useful tool. :grin:

I like your rendering of the pinball machine. What resolution did you used for the rendering? AA or not? How long did it take?

All setting are as same as the duck, 800x600 AA, it took about 3 hours on Phenom 9600.

All setting are as same as the duck, 800x600 AA, it took about 3 hours on Phenom 9600.

I am still having issue getting POV_Ray to work on my laptop but when I tried my main computer, it worked the first time. Took my rig about 4 hours to do a 1600X1200, 0.3AA render of Super Star Destroyer (over 3,000 pieces), and yes having more cores or CPU does make a difference in the rendering stage. My main has dual Intel 5650 XEON, which shows up as a total of 24 processes. (in hindsight, quad optron would have been cheaper)

I did find an oddity, which is likely caused by not translating flexible item from LDD to POV.

from LDD, looks all OK...

But from POV shows a couple oddities likely caused by 3mm hose.

Edited by Lego Otaku