Mr. Townsend

WIP: Matterhorn

Hello all,

I started building this ship in LDD about a year ago and have been working on it in bricks for about 4 months. I've been meaning to post this WIP thread for awhile, and now while waiting on another Bricklink order I've finally taken the time to photograph my progress so far.

The Matterhorn is going to be a 26 gun frigate in minifig illusion scale. All of her guns are going to be brick-built as I think these better fit the scale and also provide for a more spacious interior. The interior has been a major focus for me which prompted the snot walls hinged at the top allowing for a more open floor plan. The weather deck will be completely removable to allow easy access to the interior, while the gun deck is broken into removable sections to allow for viewing of the hold though that deck is purely display. The Matterhorn will have a working capstan as well.

This ship has been largely influenced by The Achille and The Vesta and I would like to thank their builders and everyone else who's work has inspired me.

I hope everyone enjoys my ship as much as I have enjoyed viewing many of yours.

Comments and Criticism encouraged and appreciated.

-W. Townsend

Most recent update: Post #65

16970532912_53dc2b227b_c.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8197782313_cb665a6f7d_z.jpg

DSCN1191 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7473192434_67cea18cfb_z.jpg

Matterhorn by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7473262862_19556a9f50_z.jpg

7473200998_0f453c6eb5_z.jpg

7473198206_a03d8caa67_z.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

It seems to be very white ship. :pir-tongue: I like it a lot so far, i hope that you could upload some LDD screenshotss for the Flick also. And if possible LXF-file would be nice as i tend to take a close look of it by myself and just have fun whit it. :pir_laugh2: I wish you the best of luck whit this ship.

Captain Becker

That looks promissing! I really like the brick build cannons!

If you want to deeplink photo's from flickr, first select the size(no more than 800x600) Than you can link it!

Different photo sizes.

7473223070_cf830a1319.jpg

It seems to be very white ship. :pir-tongue: I like it a lot so far, i hope that you could upload some LDD screenshotss for the Flick also. And if possible LXF-file would be nice as i tend to take a close look of it by myself and just have fun whit it. :pir_laugh2: I wish you the best of luck whit this ship.

Captain Becker

I'm glad you like it Captain Becker. I know she's a bit monochromatic and it's not historically accurate, but I really wanted her to stand out and look more Lego then Model. I'll upload some LDD screen shots for you soon and will try to add the LXF as well.

That looks promissing! I really like the brick build cannons!

If you want to deeplink photo's from flickr, first select the size(no more than 800x600) Than you can link it!

Thanks Ecclesiastes! The long guns are of course DPW's design but I enjoyed making the carronade and swivel to match.

I appreciate you showing me how to deep link pictures but it turns out to have been my post count holding me back.

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Good looking cannons :pir-classic: were you surprised by the number of pieces required? I like your carronade design too. As to the ship she is very white indeed, Im anxious to see this progress. Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Okay, I have to ask. What is minifigure illusion? I've heard it used a fair few times about ships, and I don't really understand...

That's a pretty good ship. Are you going to post the LDD pictures, or leave us in suspense as to the final appearance? Either way works for me.

Good looking cannons :pir-classic: were you surprised by the number of pieces required? I like your carronade design too. As to the ship she is very white indeed, Im anxious to see this progress. Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

:pir-blush: They certainly do require a large amount of peices. 18 each really adds up the piece count!

Now I have an update on the ship. The weather deck is now mostly complete and the starboard side of the ship has been enclosed. I've started tinkering with the head-rails and would appreciate some feedback there.

7657425224_e6a00fb4b3_z.jpg

7-27-12 016 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657433254_55e035459c_z.jpg

7-27-12 014 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657450658_29eafbb155_z.jpg

7-27-12 013 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657417570_39fa4112a0_z.jpg

7-27-12 010 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657428530_638c402ed5_z.jpg

7-27-12 012 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657446806_64c08fde9b_z.jpg

7-27-12 026 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7657454016_f9e970ed86_z.jpg

7-27-12 023 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Okay, this is a truely amazing vessel.

I like the snot technic at the sides,

i always just make the sides with the regulary brick technic hehe.

Great job, keep it up,

and im looking forward to see the final edition.

I like the fact that you topped off the decks with the smooth tiles. :thumbup: Judging by the colorscheme of the ship, are you planning on making it American?

I love your boat, it is simply delightful but i cannot get over how the floor of the captain's cabin looks like a picnic sheet :pir-tongue:

The shape is very nice, I'm not really font of the concentrated white, perhaps changing the color of the cannon hatches would help, keep it up.

I love your boat, it is simply delightful but i cannot get over how the floor of the captain's cabin looks like a picnic sheet :pir-tongue:

Eventhough I heard that it's historically accurate I will never have such picnic sheet in my ships :pir_laugh2:

Nice one.

Okay, this is a truely amazing vessel.

I like the snot technic at the sides,

i always just make the sides with the regulary brick technic hehe.

Great job, keep it up,

and im looking forward to see the final edition.

I'm glad you like the snot walls as I'm quite proud of them. I am however, a bit disappointed that I didn't show their true potential. That being, the outer hull of the ship can be any color you want while keeping the inside 'painted' white.

I like the fact that you topped off the decks with the smooth tiles. :thumbup:

The tiled decks were definitely an element I wanted in my ship since I first started planning it out. I really love the way it looks especially after having seen it on Achille. The tiles also play a strong role in keeping the weather deck sturdy enough to be lifted off in one piece.

Judging by the colorscheme of the ship, are you planning on making it American?

The Matterhorn's alliance lies with the Imperial Red Coats.

The shape is very nice, I'm not really font of the concentrated white, perhaps changing the color of the cannon hatches would help, keep it up.

Eventhough I heard that it's historically accurate I will never have such picnic sheet in my ships :pir_laugh2:

Nice one.

I'm rather attached to the pure white at this point, though I may experiment with some colored gun ports. Maybe dark blue.

I have no reference material showing a red and white tiled floor but I really like it. :pir_laugh2:

The Matterhorn is currently packed up for a move across country this coming week, so I've taken some screneshots of her from LDD.

7713218342_151c4c1334_z.jpg

Matterhorn LDD by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7713218484_e73b2ac1d3_z.jpg

7713218912_79b65157de_z.jpg

7713219256_4368ce6548_z.jpg

Also, I did take one picture of the main mast the night before she was packed.

7713501508_9fd310d14b_z.jpg

001 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

I tried to attach the LXF but its to big to upload. Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Looks great! I really cant wait to see it in real bricks. And for the LXF file: Have you tryed to uplod it on the Brickshelf yet? Its way easier way to upload pictures and other stuff over there and put them here instead of using Flickr.

Captain Becker

The Matterhorn has been unpacked and now being finished in her new shipyard. I've kept working farther towards the stern adding the stern galleries and the captain's skylight. I also reworked the capstan and the axle running down the ship. The capstan now connects to string wheels at the bow that the anchor cables will coil around making the capstan now fully operational. I've also added a capstan to the gun deck so now 12 minifigs can raise the anchor. :pir_laugh2:

I've made progress on the masts as well though I've run out of bricks to make the foremast appropriate in height.

7951046124_eedc93df67_z.jpg

Matterhorn WIP by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

7951045100_f0fde845cc_z.jpg

The skylight opens to reveal a ladder to the cabin.

7951045388_89beb5cd8b_z.jpg

The stern galleries are no where near being finished but I managed to find a connection to allow the angle I want here.

7951044722_722bfd2691_z.jpg

7951044462_e1b9858bef_z.jpg

The capstan is now existent on both the gun deck and weather deck.

The capstan design is one by Sebeus.

7951021734_7fde9ca20f_z.jpg

7951020760_2cf1cc2589_z.jpg

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Great job on this default_thumbup.gif I think you have been doing an excellent job and she is turning out fantastic! The carronades and the overall shape are great

I would like to suggest a couple of notes for improvement, tough.

The masts are a bit too technique and the way of attaching the yards is quite complicated and requires a lot of parts. I would suggest you take a look at Perfectionist's Next Gen way of attaching them (he's not the first to do so, though, but there I know you have good pictures), especially the yards at an angle — if you are going to keep your LDD plan, of course.

Then we have all the white, but that has already been said.

Another point for me is the hull shape. It is alright but there is a here and there where it could be corrected:

7473200998_0f453c6eb5_z.jpg

Take a look: you have a central section of A LOT of jumpers, then 4 jumpers, then 6. The curve should be progressive , say 20, 6, 4 and not 20, 4, 6 as you have in there.

Also, the capstan would be in the bow of the ship, which would ease a lot raising the anchors pirate_tong.gif Getting all that way with a cable would be hard!

I'm not very sure about the cannons on the bow in the top deck — I would rather suggest chasers below — though I believe that they brought sometimes cannons there to fire during a chase.

This points being said I would like to add that the tilling really makes her smooth and nice. The platforms for the shrouds are very interesting too! Moreover from what I've seen the galleries are going to be great! default_thumbup.gif I hope this honest criticism helps you and I'm looking forward to see the end of the project, keep up the fine work!

Great job on this default_thumbup.gif I think you have been doing an excellent job and she is turning out fantastic! The carronades and the overall shape are great

I would like to suggest a couple of notes for improvement, tough.

I'm glad your liking it so far Frank. :pir-classic:

The masts are a bit too technique and the way of attaching the yards is quite complicated and requires a lot of parts. I would suggest you take a look at Perfectionist's Next Gen way of attaching them (he's not the first to do so, though, but there I know you have good pictures), especially the yards at an angle — if you are going to keep your LDD plan, of course.

A number of things have been altered from the LDD and the way the yards are attached is one of those.

I plan on making the yards with the ability to be lowered and raised and therefore not attached at all.

Then we have all the white, but that has already been said.

Another point for me is the hull shape. It is alright but there is a here and there where it could be corrected:

Take a look: you have a central section of A LOT of jumpers, then 4 jumpers, then 6. The curve should be progressive , say 20, 6, 4 and not 20, 4, 6 as you have in there.

This is something that I've always noticed and written off . Mostly because that four wide section never wants to sit correctly and I was hoping it could be reinforced to sit better therefore looking better. However, since you bring my attention to it I can't unsee it. This is definitely something that you will see changed in a next update. In fact I've already started fixing it and I believe it already looks much better.

Also, the capstan would be in the bow of the ship, which would ease a lot raising the anchors pirate_tong.gif Getting all that way with a cable would be hard!

I based a large amount of the ship including the location of the capstan of the Achille. From pictures on the web i also believe I've placed it properly. Of course it will move if it is in fact inaccurate. If anyone else can back up either way it would be appreciated.

I'm not very sure about the cannons on the bow in the top deck — I would rather suggest chasers below — though I believe that they brought sometimes cannons there to fire during a chase.

I'm rather sure it is proper to have bow chasers on a frigate of this size on the forecastle.

This points being said I would like to add that the tilling really makes her smooth and nice. The platforms for the shrouds are very interesting too! Moreover from what I've seen the galleries are going to be great! default_thumbup.gif I hope this honest criticism helps you and I'm looking forward to see the end of the project, keep up the fine work!

I'm glad you enjoy many parts of my ship and greatly appreciate your comments and criticisms that help make the Matterhorn a more complete and accurate ship. Thanks for the pointers.

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

I based a large amount of the ship including the location of the capstan of the Achille. From pictures on the web i also believe I've placed it properly. Of course it will move if it is in fact inaccurate. If anyone else can back up either way it would be appreciated.

(...)

I'm rather sure it is proper to have bow chasers on a frigate of this size on the quarterdeck

-W. Townsend

About the chasers I guess I was tired because I don't know why I wrote that. It clearly is nonsense: chasers were very common, I apologize

Now on the capstan, I'll quote Foremast's Jack tutorial, which is a fantastic reference:

On a frigate: the deck where the trundlehead is shown would be the single gun-deck and the drumhead would be on the main deck (aka weatherdeck). With most frigates the capstan was light enough that when not in use it was bodily lowered into the gun deck to clear the main deck and a ship's launch was stored there.

A note on capstan location within the ship: Whilst pictured here just abaft the foremast the location of the capstan (trundlehead and drumhead) could be as far aft as just fore the mainmast.

7951046124_eedc93df67_z.jpg

Yours isn't quite fore of it, is it? pirate_classic.gif

I don't want to discredit your source, the Achille, as is also one of my favourite ships but I have never seen in any model a capstan so aft…

I'm glad I was helpful! default_thumbup.gif

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

There appears to have been a typo some where along the way as Constellation, Constitution, Surprise, Trincomalee, and Dom Fernando all have there capstans abaft the main, before the mizzen.

Edited by kurigan

I love the deck and all the details on the deck. Also your masts are a piece of art. I admit I'm still getting used to the amount of white, but it's growing on me. I guess this is best judged when seeing the ship IRL and not on a picture.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

How did you angle the stern galleries like that? I have never figured it out how they do that. :pir_wacko:

Captain Becker

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the connection before it was changed but it was done using 2 headlight bricks and a tap piece. It was however the weakest connection possible. I had planned on reinforcing it with flex tubes but ultimately I scrapped it because it was much too insufficient to hold for good.

Great colorsheme you used!

Well done.

Greetz

Bjornu

I'm glad you like it Bjornu though you and I may be the only ones. :laugh:

There appears to have been a typo some where along the way as Constellation, Constitution, Surprise, Trincomalee, and Dom Fernando all have there capstans abaft the main, before the mizzen.

Thank you for the clairification there Kurigan. I'm rather glad I don't have to move it!

I love the deck and all the details on the deck. Also your masts are a piece of art. I admit I'm still getting used to the amount of white, but it's growing on me. I guess this is best judged when seeing the ship IRL and not on a picture.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Thanks Bonaparte! I'm very excited to have many very good builders like you commenting on the Matterhorn so far. I am even more excited that you appreciate the masts as I feel they are one of the defining factors of the Matterhorn. The brown Technic tubes are perhaps the most rare pieces she holds and I'm very proud to have acquired so many. I think they show how much dedication I've put into the ship.

About the white. I'll admit that when the gun ports are closed it looks a bit like a large blob of white (though the the white sheet for my backdrop surely doesn't help) but when they are open she is simply striking to me. I just love staring at the beautiful white vessel perched upon my building desk.

Now enough with the chit chat, I've got new pictures for you!

I took Frank Brick Wright's advice and got rid of the 4 length wall in the middle and I think her line looks a lot better now.

8198876662_1f4d365b10_z.jpg

DSCN1189 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

I've added her anchors and she's got a complement of 4 carronades on her fo'castle. The anchors are straight from perfectionist but I wanted to make the beam at the top brown. The flex tube isn't bent yet but you get the idea.

8197774167_3e54e9db50_z.jpg

DSCN1198 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

8197777643_db83891737_z.jpg

DSCN1195 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

8197782313_cb665a6f7d_z.jpg

DSCN1191 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

Equipped with a Xacto knife I cut Technic tubes for the pin rails. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. The swivel has also been improved from my original design. The box wrench will be black ofc.(I've got some in the mail currently :classic: )

8197778871_98693bbca1_z.jpg

DSCN1194 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

8198881354_a7b6c2349c_z.jpg

DSCN1199 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

This is her stern at current though I plan on changing it to make it much more my own. I think the large windows will be replaced with 2x2 much like the Vesta.

8197787033_f8c92ff6f9_z.jpg

DSCN1201 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

8197788175_5082ec6bef_z.jpg

DSCN1200 by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

So far it looks magnificent! But way too white into my taste, makes my eyes hurt and makes its almoust impossible to spot any details. Keep it up, Shes becoming a real beaty!

Captain Becker