Sign in to follow this  
Captain Settle

Review: Saber Island

[pid][/pid]

Classic Pirates. There is no other theme like it. At least that's my opinion, and that's why I bought Saber Island, the smallest of the Bluecoat forts. I decided that although it's already been reviewed, Twice, it deserves another.

Stats

Theme: Pirates

Minifigs: 3

Pieces: 96 (according to brickset)

Price: $15.50 but now it's around £20/$20

Instruction's

7395101954_b1340e9c57_z.jpg

I don't have the box, but the art is the same as the instructions

7395095278_0975f7069c_z.jpg

The instructions have no piece callouts but it does have a birdseye view for where to put the pieces on the baseplate.

Minifigs:

7395073408_4a4e0b5883_z.jpg

Great design on the minifigs. Two soldiers, which you can't have enough of, and yet another De Martinet

7395083242_76c991bba9_z.jpg

The backs have no printing, as none did back then. At least we get two backpacks.

7395040118_acb208faf5_z.jpg

We also get a lot of weapons. 2 muskets, 3 swords, a flintlock pistol and a cannon for only 3 figs :pir-classic:

The Rowing Boat

7395062936_23954587d7_z.jpg

The Row Boat is a nice touch, and really adds to the set in my opinion. You can use it to patrol round the island.

7395068208_6e9f2a3548_z.jpg

The small flag is printed and looks really nice.

The island:

7395089256_0948f7cea7_z.jpg

This is the baseplate you build the outpost on. It's quite small but in the end the set looks quite big. Well at least for the piece count.

7395045730_6697b7337d_z.jpg

The finished set looks nice and is should make a proud part of your Lego empire.

7395078274_d155d9ffb4_z.jpg

I especially like how the outpost looks on this side. With the palm tree and nice balcony, it really fits the Caribbean look.

7395051568_93a9d58b60_z.jpg

Sadly it doesn't look as good from the back, with no wall or fence for playability. At least you get a sword holder.

7395057896_6024994409_z.jpg

You get another printed flag, just a lot bigger this time.

7395026346_6f028120f9_z.jpg

The complete set looks brilliant, and looks like a lot more than 92 pieces.

Time for Ratings!

Playability: A lot of figs and a rowboat to patrol, but without a pirate it will always be hard too have fun with it. 6/10

Price: I got mine for with harbor sentry for £17 including P&P which I think is good. 8/10

Pieces: a lot of big wall pieces, but a nice palm tree is included. 7/10

Edited by Captain Settle

Very cool little set, packed with useful accessories and figs for such a small set. Nice review, thanks.

Nice review, 'Captain Settle'! :pir-sweet:

This is a great classic Pirates set. I love the building, and the baseplate is excellent! :thumbup:

I'm amazed I haven't commented on this review before. Sorry about that.

Nice review. Small sets back then really were more impressive than they are today, imo. Impressive structure given the limited number of bricks used.

This was one of my first pirate sets. I still have my copy somewhere. 3 blue coats and a cannon in a set of this size made it well worth getting. It makes a nice outpost to add to the eldorado fortress.

Thanks for the great review Captain Settle! This set looks amazing, whether you're looking for a standalone fortress, a parts pack, or to expand your army.

Now do I get two of these or a Lagoon Lockup? :pir-sceptic:

Thanks for the great review Captain Settle! This set looks amazing, whether you're looking for a standalone fortress, a parts pack, or to expand your army.

Now do I get two of these or a Lagoon Lockup? :pir-sceptic:

Lagoon Lockup was the biggest Pirate set I had in my childhood, and I had sooo much fun with it... so due to nostalgia, I am of course biased - but I'd say definately go with LL. It has so many things going for it, and there's not really one thing this set has that LL doesn't have as well. Plus more, of course.

Lagoon Lockup was the biggest Pirate set I had in my childhood, and I had sooo much fun with it... so due to nostalgia, I am of course biased - but I'd say definately go with LL. It has so many things going for it, and there's not really one thing this set has that LL doesn't have as well. Plus more, of course.

The major advantage for me in getting two Sabre Islands would be the minifigures; I already have a Redbeard, so the one in the Lockup would be a repeat, and since I already have an extra shako, two Sabre Islands would let me get my Bluecoat army off to a nice start with 5 infantrymen and 1 officer. But I think you're right--the design of the Lockup is just so superior to that of Sabre Island.

It's such a shame, there are so many classic sets that I want, yet so little money! :pir-laugh:

^Thats damn right! You wait for months for a good deal on a set and none come up, so you end up buying it for £300 only to find it a week later for £65. :pir-hmpf_bad: Great review, you have made my mind up on this set. I think I might hold out for 6276, as I only have three bluecoats and four musketeers. :pir-sweet:

This was the first LEGO set I ever got so I've always had a soft spot for it. I lost the instructions and a couple of key pieces so I was unable to build it for a long time. Just recently I purchased the missing pieces and instructions on bricklink so I'm thrilled to have the complete set again. One thing that has always bothered me about this set is the lack of a ladder or stairs for the minifigures to get from the ground to the first or second level of the structure. The Imperial Outpost, that was released in the second wave of Pirate sets, seems to be a larger more efficient version of Sabre Island and it includes a ladder for the mini figures to maneuver around the base. Excellent review by the way!

Awesome set, and good memories!

However, I find it too basic, too simple. Probably my point of view has changed because of those new sets, full of details and special pieces.

Awesome set, and good memories!

However, I find it too basic, too simple. Probably my point of view has changed because of those new sets, full of details and special pieces.

I don't think it is simple, it is brillant what the disigner made with only one Hand of parts. It is the best bluecoat set in this event. You got a lot of soldiers for one Hand of coins, too. Look at the 2009 little pirates Island, that set looks like playmobil and a little soldiers set was missing at all pirate_sing.gif . I have 3 Sabre Islands and I hope I will become more and more as bonus sets when I buy other sets.pirate_classic.gif

I don't think it is simple, it is brillant what the disigner made with only one Hand of parts. It is the best bluecoat set in this event. You got a lot of soldiers for one Hand of coins, too. Look at the 2009 little pirates Island, that set looks like playmobil and a little soldiers set was missing at all pirate_sing.gif . I have 3 Sabre Islands and I hope I will become more and more as bonus sets when I buy other sets.pirate_classic.gif

Absolutely agree, I don't deny it! Look at what I said at first: awesome! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Whem I said simple and basic, I ment that we can notice the lack of special pieces and accessories if we compare it with de 2009-10 sets. That's all. It's not only about this set. It's just that Lego didn't have the same variety of pieces at that time, all the themes. But the entire design of the Sabre Island is awesome, as well as the minifigs.