Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

That is fair enough. MISB sets are RARE and expensive! They're like an endangered species or a sacred artifact and you're very lucky to have in your possession.

Although some don't appreciate their value and believe they should be opened and played with. Kind of like some believe that white tigers are better suited to be fur coats rather than running around in the wild.

Oh, you didn't mention that it was important to you. It seemed more like a general sentence "MISB sets are RARE and expensive!"

If they weren't important to me why would I bother mentioning "MISB sets are RARE and expensive! They're like an endangered species or a sacred artifact and you're very lucky to have in your possession.

Someone who didn't think MISB sets were important probably wouldn't have wrote something like that...

If I received 50 of every MISB set Lego has ever made I would open most if not all of them! Lego is meant to be built and created with Phes! Let the man build!

But why would you destroy something that is rare when there is more than enough decent second hand LEGO sets thus enabling you to leave the MISB sets for the collectors who appreciate them for what they are?

Opening a MISB LEGO set is like going to museum and using the antiquities and artifacts for their intended purpose. Yes indeed these things were once created to be used, but that was a long time ago and now they are no longer in production and therefore irreplaceable. Sure LEGO is a toy and its original purpose was to be played with, but like the artifacts and antiques in the museums their significance changes with time.

If we never preserved anything from the past then we'd lose important parts of history. Pictures and recreations can only tell us so much but to actually have the authentic object is something truly special to behold.

True! But Lego is a toy! Perhaps I've seen Toy Story too many times! But I would just build some sweet MOCs with it! Thats what I would do! Don't worry too much about it! You should be thankful I have nowhere near enough funds to buy any MISB sets - especially Pirate ones!

Why are toys any different to any other artifact or antique?

Ok here's an unlikely hypothecal: If the toy was a 2000 year old wooden doll once owned by a Pharaoh's daughter would it be insane to give it to a present day child? Yes it would! It would be considered a major archaeological find and belong on public display for everyone to see, not carelessly destroyed by a child who didn't appreciate it.

Now that might seem like a stretch comparing a MISB LEGO set to an ancient toy, but as time goes on the value of these sets increases. Already they're getting quite expensive so in 2000 years they might be worth a lot of money.

I've got 2 MISB sets. The Armada Flagship and the Black Seas Barracuda. I've got plenty of other examples of both so they can stay in their boxes. There's no reall special peices in there that aren't easily available elsewhere.

Oooooooo! That Barracuda would be worth over US$250 now, depending upon what condition the box is in....

Is it your most prized Pirate LEGO set?

Now that might seem like a stretch comparing a MISB LEGO set to an ancient toy, but as time goes on the value of these sets increases. Already they're getting quite expensive so in 2000 years they might be worth a lot of money.

well phes, even if you open it i won't matter how much it's worth in 2000 years because either the box will have disentegrated and you would be dead.

Why are toys any different to any other artifact or antique?

Ok here's an unlikely hypothecal: If the toy was a 2000 year old wooden doll once owned by a Pharaoh's daughter would it be insane to give it to a present day child? Yes it would! It would be considered a major archaeological find and belong on public display for everyone to see, not carelessly destroyed by a child who didn't appreciate it.

LoL. Not if it was a doll. If it was 2000 year old Lego owned by a Pharaoh's daughter... and it was MISB (I don't think there was such a thing as MISB back in ancient Egypt)... I would still open it and play with it. LOL :-P

It doesn't matter to me Phes. I keep my Lego in good shape, and MISB means little to me. The best thing about MISB is opening it, and that is how I feel and you cannot change it! But like I previously said, do not worry, I do not have any money to buy USED lego let alone MISB stuff.

but phes, even if you are immortal if the box disentigrates it won't be misb, it'll be a opened used lego set!

what's MSIB?

my most prized lego pirate set is by far the original release BSB. i was saddened in a way when i saw it was a re-release, but i'm ok with that now.

Very nice jamtf, master of getting bunches of MISB sets. Do you keep that in a fireproof-bulllet-proof-waterproof-and-everythingproof- safe at night? And keep it in a 10-inch thick glass to protect from bullets during the day? And keep it airtight and sealed? Do you put pressure sensures all around it? 8-|

In fact, my sealed sets are in an appartment 10 miles away from where I live. They are in a room in an abandoned house and remain there until I find time to sort things out. My own house did not have the room anymore so I had to drag them away. I occassionally go there to check them out. They are collector's pieces in their own right and lots of time and money were spent acquiring them. As long as I own them, they will stay sealed.

No need to make fun of that with the bullet proof crap. I may be crazy but hey, at least I enjoy owning the sets in pristine unharmed condition. No bite marks, no heavy signs of use and guaranteed 100% complete factory new condition sets which saves me some frustrations. Besides that, a sealed set will always be in demand. No one can complain that the quality of the set leaves to be desired. The condition of the box is the only worry (price mark tear damage and storage or shelf wear).

It is like Phes says, if you want to play, buy the sets in used condition. I do have some used sets such as 6244, 6265, 6277, 6285, 6286, 6289 (all with boxes) and lots of loose pieces such as hulls, sterns, bows, mast sections, rigging, sails, baseplates, white castle walls, palm trees, cannons, bricks, pirate minifigs etc. so I can basically build the sets I want to build (except 6276 since I do not own that).

I still love the joy of opening a brand new set, and I will continue to do so! I respect you for your joy of having a lego set untouched, but I would rather just build it!

I just acquired a few MISB Pirate Sets - in just as good condition as yours (not Shrink Wrapped however) for a REALLLLLY sweet price, and I will be opening them. Perhaps I will torture you guys with a picture of me opening them and ruining there 'Mint'ness LOL.

I think this was a Kmart Australia only special deal, rather than an official lego deal.

Do you think its worth the AU $317.25 you paid?

I still love the joy of opening a brand new set, and I will continue to do so! I respect you for your joy of having a lego set untouched, but I would rather just build it!

:'-( How inconsiderate and selfish towards the collectors who want to preserve these artifacts for future generations.

There are those dogmatic Phesical views again!

I just acquired a few MISB Pirate Sets - in just as good condition as yours (not Shrink Wrapped however) for a REALLLLLY sweet price, and I will be opening them. Perhaps I will torture you guys with a picture of me opening them and ruining there 'Mint'ness LOL.

:-O That's not respect!

Don't worry Phes. Everyone may look at it the way he or she likes. If Sting likes to build the Lego sets he acquired, let him do it. Then again, every opened discontinued is one less to worry about which makes the ones that remain sealed even more rare! X-D

By the way, what sort of sets did you get for a sweet price Mr. Sting?

That's easy to write when you've got quite a nice MISB collection!

Yes, I can sit back and look at things in a totally different way indeed! Don't worry, there are still many sealed sets to be unearthed. I suspect that there are still quite a few hidden in attics or in cupboards that got forgotten until someone rediscovers them and decides to put them up for sale, preferrably at a cheap price with a buy it now option.

LoL. These ones were not from Bricklink or an online source so if I didn't find out about them they wouldn't have appeared online anyway. It is from a family friend who had a few sets that she intended to give to her sons like 10 years ago and forgot about them. Sitting behind some boxes in there closet, they found them just a few weeks ago and I offered to buy them (they were surprised I would even pay for them LOL, but I would feel bad if I didn't)

They are a 6263 Imperial Outpost, 6244 Imperial Sentry and 6248 Volcano Island. I paid $30.00 for all of them. $30.00 CDN... which is like what? $7.00 American, or 3 Pounds? LOL. (Lame jab at the Canadian Economy)

I am technically helping you guys. Keeping these sets rare makes yours much more valuable. You guys can make a killing off of them if you ever want to sell them. I must admit I even have a MISB Set, an Rebel Snowspeeder I got for $10.00CDN... which I plan on keeping 10 years or so and than selling for a high high price.

30CN is around the twenties of the USD I believe. If not then at least the teens.

No need to make fun of that with the bullet proof crap.

:'-( . 1. It's a joke(I'm sure your aware of that). 2. If I had a chance to come up with MISB sets, I would keep them like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any besides the one I posted earlier.