Customisation Details:

Cost of the Minifig:

Aviator Helmet, Black = $0.44 Standard

Helmet Visor, Trans-Black = $0.06

Black Torso Plain = $0.58

Red Arms, Left & Right = $0.31

Black Hands, x2: $0.30 X 2 = $0.60

Short Legs, Black = $1.09

Standard Cape Cloth = $1.91 (custom cut and printed)

Flame Print Stickers from Set# 7993 - $14.99

Total Cost of Custom Minifig (without weapons) = $19.98

Weapon & Gadgets Cost:

Trans-orange 1x1 round plate, x 4: $0.04 x 4 = $0.16

Weapon Ray Gun, Pearl Light Grey = $0.82

Flame piece, x 3: $0.09 x 3 = $0.27

CMS4 Skate Board - $0.62 (custom-cut, removed wheel clips)

Megaphone, Black, x 2: $0.11 x 2 = $0.22

Lightsaber Hilt, Metallic Silver, x 2: $1.19 x 2 = $2.38 1x1

Plate = $0.08 1x1

Plate, modified with clip light = $0.04

Total Cost of Weapons/Gadgets Parts = $4.59

Grand Total Cost = $24.57

Note: All prices are average Bricklink prices in the last six months.

Inspiration Behind the Entry:

I was not really intending to enter the other categories in this contest aside from the Category A entry that I did, but I was really impressed by some of the great entries so far that inspired me to take a shot at the Build-a-Hero category. For this category, I wanted to create an out-of-the-box character that deviates from the cookie-cutter format of "dark characters with a tragic past and seeks revenge in life" but still would somehow fit in the Batman universe. So I created a character based on a kid genius who always seeks to positively contribute to Gotham City. Admittedly, he isn't the normally physically strong protagonist that we're used to, but more in the mold of Teen Titan Robin. But despite Kid Flare's diminutive stature, no one can question his big heart to help Gotham City in anyway that he can.

Thanks for looking! C & C's are always welcome! :classic:

That's really good! I love the flying skateboard!

Thanks! Glad you liked the hoverboard! 'Sacrificing' that skateboard piece was worth the effort after all. :laugh:

Much like the character compensating his youth and relative 'weakness' with intellectual genius and high-tech gadgetry to be an effective hero, I also had to give the relatively plain fig some custom (cool?) gadgets to spice up the overall look.

Why is Kid Flare yellow, but not Vagabond?

Story-wise answer: Gotham is a multi-racial city so skin color vary from people to people.

LEGO answer: I don't have a "young kid with nerdy glasses" fleshie head so I used this yellow one. :grin:

Awesome entry! Good job going for someone without a mysterious tragedy! :) Is just what I've gone for, and hopefully I'll get mine up soon. I do like the modifications to the skateboard and the helmet, as it really helps bring the character to life. Good luck with all your entries!

Wow this entry is fabulous. Not only is the figure and vignette well done but the presentation is flawless. :wub:

Awesome entry! Good job going for someone without a mysterious tragedy! :) Is just what I've gone for, and hopefully I'll get mine up soon. I do like the modifications to the skateboard and the helmet, as it really helps bring the character to life. Good luck with all your entries!

Thanks! I did make a conscious effort to make that Superman-like "Goody Two-Shoes" type of personality for this kid hero, to deviate away from the usual dark backstories of most Batman characters. And looking forward for your entry too! :wink:

Wow this entry is fabulous. Not only is the figure and vignette well done but the presentation is flawless. :wub:

Thanks dd! I actually enjoyed making the presentation even more than the actual custom fig and vignette, especially the Visual Dictionary layout (which I've always been fond of). It was a 'refreshingly nice' experience to do that, first time I did that concept and I'm really satisfied with the end product. :sweet:

Kid Flare VS. Vagabond is a terrific little scene, showcasing two fantastic characters. Well done, indeed!

Thanks! Aside from running out of ideas and (and parts) to come up with a better vig, I though it would be cool to to pit Kid Flare against my villain contest entry Vagabond in this simple vignette. Nice to know to you liked it! :sweet:

Haha, kid geniuses aren't as rare as they used to be. But this is a sweet figure. You put a lot of effort in, at least as far as I can tell. Don't correct me if I'm wrong :wink:

How very convenient! :grin:

New heroes battle new villains!

Great entry! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

I love the helmet with stickers. The burnt cape is a nice touch.

Thanks! I actually contemplated really burning the edges of the cape to get an authentic burnt look but decided to sharpie it instead since I might not be able to control the actual burning. :laugh:

Haha, kid geniuses aren't as rare as they used to be. But this is a sweet figure. You put a lot of effort in, at least as far as I can tell.

True, but kid geniuses who can control fire aren't. :devil: And thanks, glad you liked the fig! :classic:

Great idea with the burnt cape! Good idea with a helmet, too, 'coz them kiddies may just be careless with the hoverboard, hero or not. :grin: