DarkTemplar

MOC: Flying Dutchman in LEGO Set Scale

[pid][/pid] 135B

Hi all,

I'm a bigger poster on CC but I figured it would make more sense to get an account and throw this up over here.

Anyway, After waiting... and waiting... and giving up I decided I'd make my own Lego Flying Dutchman. Not for show or anything but just for playing. So my basic requirements were:

-I wanted something that looked like a lego set (so that other sets wouldn't look completely dwarfed.

-Based on the two ships released for POTC and the Imperial Flagship I wanted to have a different colored hull, and grey seemed to be a good idea.

-I didn't want to use any non-lego parts like paper for sails.

So this is what I came up with -

7174761231_9c99b4648f.jpg

7359985776_d523c67092.jpg

7174760349_d69d6acafc.jpg

7359989728_22ed34a2a0.jpg

Here's a link to the rest of the flickr gallery as I haven't hit 5 posts yet :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45110938@N08/sets/72157630099710300/with/7359989728/

Enjoy!

*EDIT: Yea I know I missed a G in Lego :P

Wow this is a lovely MOC.

Although I think the use of the white leaf pieces for the sail is very creative, I'm not quite sure it I like it. To me it gives the MOC a very christmassy snowwy vibe... But that could be just me.

Wow this is a lovely MOC.

Although I think the use of the white leaf pieces for the sail is very creative, I'm not quite sure it I like it. To me it gives the MOC a very christmassy snowwy vibe... But that could be just me.

For me it is exactly the right look - frost encrusted remnants of sails, as she slips through the mists of the seas... this deserves to be part of the Monster Fighters line in 2013!

For me it is exactly the right look - frost encrusted remnants of sails, as she slips through the mists of the seas... this deserves to be part of the Monster Fighters line in 2013!

I agree maybe just a thickening up of the sails then with some more white leaves..

Hauntingly beautiful :pir_kiss:

Torn sails never looked so great!

The front also looks very menacing indeed - NPU all around. Thanks for sharing!

That's a very unique ship. I've never seen a dark bley Dutchman like that before. It works suprisingly well!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

When I saw you had use The durmstrang ship hull I just thought that it will not look good in any possibleway, I coulden be more wrong, this just looks beuatiful! The colors you used and the amezing detailing is just jaw dropping! You also really succeeded to make it look like a Lego set! (If not better). pirate_wubnew.gif

Very nice, this actually is a very realistic set, interesting color scheme, black, darkgray and these white accents, it works.

Did you by any chance find some inspiration in my version ? Some details at the stern look very familiar :pir_laugh2:

I like how you did the prow "jaws", they're nicely integrated with the hull.

So... I wonder, can it float ? :pir-devil:

I'd love to see that.

Edited by Sebeus I

Very nice, this actually is a very realistic set, interesting color scheme, black, darkgray and these white accents, it works.

Did you by any chance find some inspiration in my version? Some details at the stern look very familiar :pir_laugh2:

I like how you did the prow "jaws", they're nicely integrated with the hull.

So... I wonder, can it float ? :pir-devil:

I'd love to see that.

Actually I did get some inspiration from it, primarily for the bow and stern. Most of my inspiration came from another member who post a French bomb ketch utilizing the durmstrom hull which gave me confidence to successfully use it for this MOC.

As far as floating I can say that without a doubt it will sink like a rock stern first. The stern end weighs about 25 pounds so it's hard enough to keep it level when you're holding it :).