Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

It would be fun if LEGO made some "versus" sets. I envision them being cheap sets with a couple mini figs in them and maybe a tiny bit of scenery as well. I have a feeling these would sell faster than they could make them. Examples:

Gandalf vs Saruman

Aragon vs the uruk hai that killed boromir

Aragon vs armored troll

Gandalf or Theodin vs witch king

Sam or Frodo vs Golem

Treebeard vs goblin

You get the idea...

I'd replace Theoden with Eowyn & Merry. For movie acuracy.

I think if we do get a treebeard set it will be soemthing like that where Treebeard is the main build then adding in merry, pippin and an orc(the orc that tried to eat merry and pippin in fangon forest, that treebeard steps on)

I think if we do get a treebeard set it will be soemthing like that where Treebeard is the main build then adding in merry, pippin and an orc(the orc that tried to eat merry and pippin in fangon forest, that treebeard steps on)

That would be Grishnakh.

Personally, I have nothing against the idea of having several small packs featuring battles between two main characters (although I would definitely prefer generics),

it's just never going to happen. If you look at the first wave of LOTR sets, they're clearly trying to only have duplicates of generic figures.

And if they need to add a non-generic character that's already in another set, they'd most likely attempt to add some variation with different expressions, etc.

~ General Magma

That would be Grishnakh.

Personally, I have nothing against the idea of having several small packs featuring battles between two main characters (although I would definitely prefer generics),

it's just never going to happen. If you look at the first wave of LOTR sets, they're clearly trying to only have duplicates of generic figures.

I disagree. Look at Gandalf Arrives. Okay, so it's not a battle, but Frodo and Gandalf could just as easily be Boromir and that Uruk and the cart could be a tree. Or Aragorn and a Nazgul.

Some more ideas, as promised:

XXXX Escape from the Shire: Bag End, a tree, a path, and some shrubbery for a Nazgul to hide behind. Minifigs: Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Nazgul (Or Ring-Wraith, if you prefer). Price point around $40-50.

XXXX Bridge of Moria, or Battle on the Bridge: A wide bridge, rock formations, and the Balrog. Minifigures: Gandalf the Grey, Frodo, Moria Goblin x2. Price point around $100-140.

XXXX Gollum's Escape: Battle-Pack-esque set, with Gollum, Elven Guard x2, and Orc x4. Price point around $30.

XXXX True Forms. A store exclusive that can be combined with the Weathertop set. Includes Frodo (Double-sided face: one side afraid, one poisoned.), 5x Nazgul (Double-sided faces: One side black to create the illusion of invisibility and the other an old man, as Frodo sees them when he has the Ring on.) Price point around $50-60.

XXXX River Escape. A set with a river and a bridge, with a play feature to send a wash of trans-blue studs onto the Nazgul. Minifigures: Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Nazgul 2x. Price point around $20

I disagree. Look at Gandalf Arrives. Okay, so it's not a battle, but Frodo and Gandalf could just as easily be Boromir and that Uruk and the cart could be a tree. Or Aragorn and a Nazgul.

'Gandalf Arrives' is part of a scene, with few needed components for that area.

But if they make Amon Hen, I can't see them just putting in a few trees with Boromir and Lurtz, that would be a waste of set potential.

For Amon Hen, there would be one set, and they would most likely feature some kind of ruined building, (the one we saw in the movie where Frodo left to escape, and where Aragorn started the battle against the Uruk-hai)

to add to it.

Same story for Eowyn versus the Witch-king of Angmar; why the hobbit would they just throw in those two figures and something like a rock for one set,

while the scene included more than that? (i.e., the Witch-king's fell beast, which could already make the set cost about $20-30 on its own)

Gandalf versus Saruman is the same kind of story, it wouldn't be those two figures in one set - it would be the Tower of Orthanc, with Saruman, Gandalf and various other characters.

I don't mind if you disagree, but to me, the things I am saying make more sense - they wouldn't ruin the potential to have a good set by having one with two main characters and

something like a tree, nor would they ruin the chances to get lots more money from putting some more larger sets on the market,

with the same figures included.

Besides, who would want an army of Sarumans and Gandalfs?

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

An army of Gandalfs and Sarumans? A new power is rising! :laugh:

The Seeing Seat us what it is called, on Amon Hen, the Hill of Sight. The throne seems to have a similar effect as the Palantiri.

I don't mind if you disagree, but to me, the things I am saying make more sense - they wouldn't ruin the potential to have a good set by having one with two main characters and

something like a tree, nor would they ruin the chances to get lots more money from putting some more larger sets on the market,

with the same figures included.

Besides, who would want an army of Sarumans and Gandalfs?

You act like LEGO's not going to release 2 sets of the same scene, ever. :wacko: It's not like Gandalf Arrives is going to be the only Shire set. That would be wasted potential, I agree. The Uruk-Hai Army could've been wasted potential, but they made the entire Helm's Deep too. They could release a larger Amon Hen, with the title of Amon Hen itself, with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, a bunch of orcs...hypothetically. And to finish it off, have the little tree, Boromir, and Lurtz. Combine them and make the full scene.

In off-topic news, this post is driving my spellchecker nuts. :laugh:

You act like LEGO's not going to release 2 sets of the same scene, ever. :wacko: It's not like Gandalf Arrives is going to be the only Shire set. That would be wasted potential, I agree. The Uruk-Hai Army could've been wasted potential, but they made the entire Helm's Deep too. They could release a larger Amon Hen, with the title of Amon Hen itself, with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, a bunch of orcs...hypothetically. And to finish it off, have the little tree, Boromir, and Lurtz. Combine them and make the full scene.

In off-topic news, this post is driving my spellchecker nuts. :laugh:

I would love an Amon Hen set, but I doubt that LEGO would split it up into two sets. I could see a set the same size as Weathertop or Balon's Tomb, with the Seeing Seat tower, Aragorn, Boromir, Lurtz, Merry and Pippin, and two Uruk scouts, and maybe a tree or two. It would be perfect.

My Lord of the Rings set ideas are

Minas Tirith:

Cost: 400-500

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, Peregrin Took, Faramir, Denethor, Gothmog, 3 armoured trolls, 1 Ringwraith, 8 Gondorian soldiers

Contains: the gate and outer walls of Minas Tirith, 2 siege towers, the grond, thin streets for levsels 1 to 6, throne of Gondor, beacon, white tree of Gondor and Faramirs funeral pyre.

Isengard:

Cost: 300-350

Minifigs: Saruman, Grima Wormtongue, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Peregrin Took, 3 Uruk-Hai, 6 Orcs, Treebeard, 1 other ent and eagle

Contains: thin but tall tower of Orthanc with Gandalfs prison, 1 room, small dam and orc forge

Bag End:

Cost: 100-150

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins, Gaffer Gamgee, Samwise Gamgee, Gandalf the Grey, Frodo Baggins, Merry Brandybuck and Peregrin Took

Contains: Bag End with detachable roof, gate, round door, 1 room with bed, fireplace, table and cart

Please remember these are just some ideas of mine and would probably not be released at the same time.

It must be noted that some sets may be released several times eg. Hogwarts Castle, the Millenium Falcon and the Hogwarts Express.

An Osgiliath scene similar to Isla de Murta- cheap and a good way to get Faramir, gondor and somes orcs :thumbup:

That would actually be fantastic. You could get Faramir, a ranger, and maybe three orcs. Man, now I really want that to be real!

That would actually be fantastic. You could get Faramir, a ranger, and maybe three orcs. Man, now I really want that to be real!

I do try to please and add some good comments occasionally :laugh:

Personally, I could come up with sets all day and night for LOTR.

I'm hoping to see maybe a smaller expansion to the Helms Deep wall that would include figures similar to the new Star Wars battle packs (2 good, 2 bad): 1 elf, 1 rohirim, and 2 uruks (1 with a shield and the other with a new pike).

There are so many things I'd like to see, I really look forward to the future of LOTR Legos.

Enjoying playing chess and being fan of Lego, I would like to see a LOTR giant chess set ( similar to 852293-1: Castle Giant Chess Set )

Did I hear anybody saying being not worth for army building? :wink:

Lots of really great ideas in this thread.

Maybe a moderator or admin could create a poll for us to vote on our favorite ideas? Put like twenty or thirty of these ideas in the poll and allow us to choose our five favorites? I'd be really interested to see what sets win. Plus it might be good feedback for TLG if we get enough voters. I'd do it, but I don't think I can add a poll to an existing topic, and it doesn't make sense to have a separate topic.

Speaking of Amon Hen, you know what'd be pretty neat?

These guys.

A smaller-scale brick built version would be kind of neat. Alternatively, they could do what they did with the CMF Statue of Liberty. :laugh:

General Magma said: "Attack of the Witch King: Minifigs: Éowyn (armored), Merry (armored), 2 Riders of Rohan, King Théoden and the Witch-king of Angmar."

Congratulations to General Magma for being the first person in this thread or the other to propose this scene as a set without forgetting Merry! If you don't include Merry, the point of the scene is totally lost.

Amps

Battle for Helm's Deep, definitely. Aside from the fact that that's my favorite battle in all of the movies, the Castle lover in me wants to see a set that is more parts and soldier-centric than story-centric.

...That, and I am really really really REALLY looking forward to how they're going to make the Rohirrim. They're horse people - mounted figures with bardings are a must, no? NO??

...and then maybe if they're beautiful enough, someone will buy loads of these Rohirrim, and maybe we'll see MOC renditions of that BEAUTIFUL scene with Gandalf and the Eored storming downhill to an even more detailed Helm's Deep and...

...Perhaps I am looking at this way too long term. -slinks back into the shadows-

...That, and I am really really really REALLY looking forward to how they're going to make the Rohirrim. They're horse people - mounted figures with bardings are a must, no? NO??

The Rohirrim don't really use barding, Theoden does. Besides I think the lego barding look abit too bulky.

The Rohirrim don't really use barding, Theoden does. Besides I think the lego barding look abit too bulky.

Ah you're right; now that I look again those aren't barding, just fairly long saddle blankets and something of a helmet/face guard. Thanks for pointing it out :)

It's true, bardings do tend to look bulky. But on the other hand, the newer, more detailed ones seem to help enhance the overall effect of the mounted knight/king/warrior. A little more grandeur, should I say?

Sorry if this has already mentioned but the only other Shire set I can see is from the Hobbit; An Unexpected Party, from chapter one. It would feature Bag End with Bilbo, Gandalf and a few of the Dwarves. :classic:

I'm really looking forward to more sets that have to do with Gondor. I absolutely love Minas Tirith.

When I think about it I also really look forward to The Battle of 5 Armies. I hope they go away from the movies every now and then and build sets based on battles not in them.

With the now official announce that there will be sets form The Hobbit before this year ends, I guess The Unexpected Party in Hobbiton, Rivendel, The Trolls, Riddles in the Darks and Beorn's Hose, are the most likely sets to be released, maybe even one of the Spiders in Mirkwood (my guess is that the fisrt film will end up in this point, with Bilbo's becoming the savior of the Dwarfs and Thorin captured by the Elven King) and maybe one of the White Council in Dol Guldur or something like that.

With the announcement of "the Hobbit" sets end of 2012 here are some idea's based on a short description of the movie.

1) Escape the Trolls, a nice opportunity for a new (troll) mold :thumbup:

Figs: Bilbo, Gandalf, 1 or 2 Dwarves and 1 or 2 Trolls

2) Rivendell (epic collecters set)

Figs: Bilbo, Elrond, 1 or 2 elves, 1 or 2 dwarves, maybe one or 2 iconic elves from LotR

3) Misty Mountains, a small mountain with a cave (Battle set as Uruk's Army 9471)

Figs: 1 or 2 dwarves and 2 to 3 goblins

4) Game of Riddles, small set containing Gollum and Bilbo

5) The Chase (Battle set as Orc Forge 9476)

Figs: 2 wargs (new mold), 2 to 3 goblins and a brick build eagle

6) Mirkwood, Giant spider (but with Shelob still in production, I can imagine this will be added later in 2013)

Figs: 1 or 2 dwarves

7) Dungeon of Woodelves (set as Mines of Moria 9473)

Figs: a few woodelves and a few dwarves

8) Dragon's Lair (I expect this scene to be in the second movie, so this set may come in 2013)

Figs: Bilbo, Bard and a brick build Smaug

I do not expect all dwarves to be in the first wave, but still it will be a great wave for all kind of different figs.