Mike S

Kaliphlin Times

!!!Latest Issue!!!

Issue #5

by Clive Harper

Beaches of Kaliphlin

Elementals and weather ruining your vacation? Come to Kaliphlin where we have the finest beaches in Historica. Watch the sun rise each morning while listening to the sea waves rolling up to shore and sipping on your favorite cold beverage. Think paradise... Kaliphlin paradise.

BeachesofKaliphlin.jpg

Mikel has sent me news that he has observed a large Vampyre army on the march during his journey into the deep tunnels of Nocturnus with Lord DaMaximus and the Alleenridders. Where they are marching to or what is their purpose, he was not able to say.

VampireArmy.jpg

I will now finish my series on Legends of Historica.

A Legend of Avalonia: The Forest King

The Forest King also known as the Protector of the Forest is a favorite tale told to Avalonian children. He is said to protect all that is in the forest and should you lose your way, he will see to it that you find your way back again. That is unless you are of malevolent purpose, in which case you will most likely never be seen or heard of again. It is not known whether such a being exists or even what he looks like but it is common for artists to portray him as a jovial grandfatherly type with a golden crown with a magnificant pair of antlers. He is often portrayed holding a giant hammer with which he dispenses the fury of the forest on those who wish to cause harm to the forest.

SAM_0080.jpg

A Legend of Mitgardia: The Valkyrie

The Valkyrie is said to ride the clouds and to descend on those fallen in battle to carry off the brave and noble to a paradise beyond the skies. It is also claimed by some that have battled in the snowy peaks of the far north that at times the Valkyrie will even intervene on the battlefield and prevent the death of a brave and noble person. Whether this is a halucination caused by the thin air at those altitudes or is true, all tales are unanimous in portraying the Valkyrie as a beautiful female warrior.

SAM_0081.jpg

Previous Publications

Issue #1

Issue #2

Issue #3

Issue #4

Guest Columns

Menshe Idisra Ar, Article #1

Menshe Idisra Ar, Article #2

Edited by Mikel Kalores

:))))))))

you guys are crazy with your creativity :)WELL DONE :)

It would be almost a shame to conquer you ;)

...almost ;)

Another great edition of the Kailiphlin Times! I like your printing press :thumbup:

And your idea concerning the micro DROW is genius :laugh:

AWESOME! A printing press! Eastgate would like to place an order for one or two of these fabulous machines. Great work.

My dearest readers,

I hope that you do not chide me too harshly for the delayed 3rd edition of the Kaliphlin Times. Let me try to explain some of the reasons for the delay. First of all, I had been expecting a certian family (of whom one of my articles is about) to arrive in Barqa, but they evidently were delayed. I have heard as I write this that they have just arrived in Barqa. Also as some of you may know, it is now monsoon season in Barqa, and as my Painters cannot paint well inside due to poor lighting, they are waiting for the rains to let up a bit. I know that you cannot enjoy the paper to its fullest without the paintings, so I have opted to wait for the paintings to be finished before I print the next edition.

My sincerest apologies for the delay,

Clive Harper, Chief editor and founder of Kaliphlin Times

Issue #2

by Clive Harper

I am happy to announce a great machine that has been invented in Barqa. With this machine we will be able to distribute our newspaper to more people and at great price decrease. It is the PRINTING PRESS!

100_5141.jpg

100_5145.jpg

100_5146.jpg

I met with Mikel Kalores and he took an interest in my business proposal. He has heavily invested in Kaliphlin Times which has enabled us to begin construction on a printing shop. For now we are set up in an old warehouse in the Docks District of Barqa but we will soon be moving to our permanent facility in Lion's Bluff District.

In Other News

Are Drow Not But Ants?

We have heard a report of Lord Ssillyrylith dealing with the drow. In his report he states that he found out Nocturnus Drow are tiny creatures as small as ants. How can that be, I ask? We know that Nocturnus Drow are of normal human height as Nocturnus Drow arrive in Barqa everyday. I propose that the Drow have devised a dreadful plan. They are using fell magic to temporarily make themselves smaller.

100_5149.jpg

Once reduced to microsize, they hide away in various chests and baggage and then are smuggled throughout Historica undetected. Once they all arrive at their destinations they will be transformed back to normal size.

If you would like to read Lord Ssillyryth's report here it is:

Lord Ssillyrylith Report

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Yet another entertaining issue of Historica's only news source! Thanks for the link by the way :wink:

Edited by Kayne

I decided that I should free up the initial post for latest issues so i had to move this up a post to make room for issue #2. Thanks for all your support of the Kaliphlin Times!

Issue #3

by Clive Harper

Note from the editor:

I am pleased to finally publish Issue #3 of the Kaliphlin Times. Many unexpected disasters happened while was working on publishing this issue. First off, there was the delay of the arrival of our guests of honor of whom headline in this issue. Secondly, the rains delayed the painting of the illustrations. Thirdly, our present setup in the harbor district was flooded. Fourthly and lastly, my painter went on vacation and I had to find a substitute painter for the illustrations. So without further ado I present you Issue #3.

Swiss Family Kaliphlin

SAM_0007.jpg

“Papa” Swiss, Lizzy, Fritz, Ernie, Jac, and Franz

Dune Sea, Kaliphlin- A small sandship, while sailing near the center of the Dune Sea, recently rescued a Petraean family that had disappeared two years ago in the Dune Sea. The family, whose name is Swiss, were stranded in an oasis when the touring sandship they were aboard shipwrecked on rocks during a sweeping sandstorm. The family survived the sandstorm by hiding under an scrap canvas sail. When the storm abated the family discovered the large oasis where they were able to survive until they were rescued. The captain and crew of the wrecked ship are still missing.

SAM_0008.jpg

SAM_0006.jpg

The family says that they are now converting the residence they had constructed while stranded at the oasis into an inn and plan to turn the oasis into a tourist attraction. They plan to call the oasis “Swiss Island”. They also plan to contract the sandship captain that rescued them to bring tourists to the oasis.

Here is more info on sailing the dune seas: by Kayne

In Other News

Abdul-Mughni has begun distributing parchments introducing a new entertainment venue in Kaliphlin. He has called it "Monster Fighters" and it seems as if he is looking for a town to host the first event. I investigated to find out a bit more and visited Abdul-Mughni's estate. The following painting is what I found out about the event.

SAM_0009.jpg

Edited by Mikel Kalores

It's always a joy to read the Kaliphlin Times here in Mitgardia. :wink:

Nice vignettes. I really like the vegetation you've made like the cactus!

How have I missed this?

it's great, both the articles and the mocs. keep it up!

~Legonardo~

Haha, I have to go and see some monster fighting! A great idea!

And I agree with Ecc, that the vegetation looks great! Well done!

The Kaliphlin Times is Rasputin's favourite morning read. The mini Drow spies idea was genuis, and this trunk-twisting-treehouse is more genius. The Mad Monks would be very happy to host a Monster Mash, as long as we all understand that they run the betting book :tongue: We look forward to the next edition over coffee and croissants

:classic:

Great new edition Mikel! I love the micro-oasis, just genius. :thumbup:

I have to say though, those barriers for the "monster-fighters" tournament looks a bit flimsy, archers or not! :look: Suicide-zone seating maybe? :wink:

Issue #4

by Clive Harper

Victor Revolword

With rumors of Victor Revolword's traitorous actions, I decided to do some research into his past. I found the following painting of him when he was the headmaster at the Cedrica Academy of Magic. It seems that even then his eyes burned with madness. Is that a crest of Historica he is holding?

SAM_0033.jpg

In Other News

Mikel has been too busy of late to work on his Backpackers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands so he has asked me if I wanted to publish some legends he has come across on his travels.

A Legend of Kaliphlin: Satyr

The Satyr is probably the last creature in Historica any parent wants their maiden daughter to meet. It is said that no woman can resist his smile. Lazy, immoral, and dishonest, the Satyr's only goal in life is to seduce women. No one knows whether the Satyr has the legs and hooves of a goat or whether that is an exageration parents tell their daughters to try to keep them from the Satyr's haunts. But one thing is for certain, no creature can play the flute like the Satyr.

SAM_0041.jpg

A Legend of Nocturnus: Cyclops

Born with a rare genetic defect, the Cyclops was abandoned in the wilderness as a newborn by his horified human parents. An orc clan happened to find him and raised him as one of their own. One day as his clan raided a trade caravan, the Cyclops realized that he was human, not orc. His orc parents then told him the truth of his beginnings and from that day on, the Cyclops has a burning hatred for humanity. He now roams the wilds, looking for humans to kill, each day losing a bit more of what is left of his humanity.

SAM_0043.jpg

And as a bonus for this issue I present to you a Karinca Orakayak Rider!

SAM_0047.jpg

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Yay another issue! I agree that the palm tree is excellent :thumbup: Good work on the Cedrica Academy of Magic too :classic:

Hahaha, Revolword is quite the nightmare, isn't he?

I love that satyr (had the same idea, but no peglegs).

Some great character and love the tree in the first pic. the satyr with peg legs is a great idea as well.

Issue #5

by Clive Harper

Beaches of Kaliphlin

Elementals and weather ruining your vacation? Come to Kaliphlin where we have the finest beaches in Historica. Watch the sun rise each morning while listening to the sea waves rolling up to shore and sipping on your favorite cold beverage. Think paradise... Kaliphlin paradise.

BeachesofKaliphlin.jpg

Mikel has sent me news that he has observed a large Vampyre army on the march during his journey into the deep tunnels of Nocturnus with Lord DaMaximus and the Alleenridders. Where they are marching to or what is their purpose, he was not able to say.

VampireArmy.jpg

I will now finish my series on Legends of Historica.

A Legend of Avalonia: The Forest King

The Forest King also known as the Protector of the Forest is a favorite tale told to Avalonian children. He is said to protect all that is in the forest and should you lose your way, he will see to it that you find your way back again. That is unless you are of malevolent purpose, in which case you will most likely never be seen or heard of again. It is not known whether such a being exists or even what he looks like but it is common for artists to portray him as a jovial grandfatherly type with a golden crown with a magnificant pair of antlers. He is often portrayed holding a giant hammer with which he dispenses the fury of the forest on those who wish to cause harm to the forest.

SAM_0080.jpg

A Legend of Mitgardia: The Valkyrie

The Valkyrie is said to ride the clouds and to descend on those fallen in battle to carry off the brave and noble to a paradise beyond the skies. It is also claimed by some that have battled in the snowy peaks of the far north that at times the Valkyrie will even intervene on the battlefield and prevent the death of a brave and noble person. Whether this is a halucination caused by the thin air at those altitudes or is true, all tales are unanimous in portraying the Valkyrie as a beautiful female warrior.

SAM_0081.jpg

Edited by Mikel Kalores