Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Beneath the Bridge

What holds true for live in general, holds also true for Valholl. If you don't really push yourself hard enough, you'll end up beneath the brigde, in this case a build up bridge though:

dscn1078.jpg

As gentrifications drives out people from the city center, the brigde quarter is where the poor and the orcs end up. It's swampy, it's wet and get's flooded ocasionally.

dscn1083.jpg

So it's a good place for more or lesse shady ventures,

like smuggling in Nocturnian Whiskey:

dscn1080.jpg

or selling freshly caught rats to orcs:

dscn1079.jpg

However, the city has set up a tower in order to keep an eye the area

dscn1088.jpg

This is great! It just all works together so well, the picture of the guard in the tower looking at the rat selling made me laugh :laugh:

I think you conveyed the slums feeling beautifully :thumbup:

Love the rat selling =)

niiiice :) the orks with rat and bottle are my favorite ;)

and the water stream! :)

Very nice job! I think you captured the feel of the slums perfectly! I think I recognize that guy from my old smuggling days; isn't that Anders Durtiratbreathsson? Good job on the buildings too.

I really like how you made the bridge into a facade. It makes for a really economical use of parts & space. I may have to imitiate that.

By the way, did that whiskey come from scarborough? We are a nocturnus distilling town after all.

Thanks for all the comments: btw, the bs folder is public now. It has some more pics and also some wip pics!

@HT: thanks for the positive feedback. I also had a lot of fun building this, so much going on in the slum areas of Valholl ...

@SK: yeah, if there's a slum, you gotta have rats, and after the orcs got kicked out of the sod house, they now live in this moist cave!

@Z: I finally invested the 1,50 € to buy a large piece of white card board. Seems like it works now. I guess the lighting could still be a little better ...

@Cara: You know, somehow a man's gotta make a living, even if its selling rats to lazy orcs ...

@Angeli: it's the first time I tried to make SNOT water and I'm convinced now!

@NM: yeah, that might be Anders, but you never know, it's the wolf pack after all ...

@Jareth: I visited a friend in Erfurt the other day and saw this:

kraemerbruecke_02.jpg

I didn't have enough pieces to build the whole thing, so I came up with the idea to just make the facade and sure, go ahead and borrow!

I didn't have enough pieces to build the whole thing, so I came up with the idea to just make the facade and sure, go ahead and borrow!

I think it's a great solution to just build the front of the buildings, even more with the max size of 32x32. And also a great idea to build on a bridge.

It really feels like slums. The swamp feeling, with the foilage works great en the minifigs action with smuglers and ratsellers is also well thought off. And ofcourse there is a watchtower, nothing goes unseen in the capital :wink: And about that house, love the roof it looks old! :thumbup:

That's one of my favourite "historical" scenes I've seen recently. It's just got loads of character in a fairly small scene. I really like it. Love the water effect, nice and simple.

I think it's a great solution to just build the front of the buildings, even more with the max size of 32x32. And also a great idea to build on a bridge.

At first I was a little sceptical about the size limitations, but then I found out that 32x32 actually makes one think about how to cope with limited size and therefore you come up with interesting solutions. I might go for more 32x32 mocs becaue so far those were my best ones

It really feels like slums. The swamp feeling, with the foilage works great en the minifigs action with smuglers and ratsellers is also well thought off. And ofcourse there is a watchtower, nothing goes unseen in the capital :wink: And about that house, love the roof it looks old! :thumbup:

Yeah, the Jarl is watching you, hehe, couldn't leave those orcs uninspectd!!

That's one of my favourite "historical" scenes I've seen recently. It's just got loads of character in a fairly small scene. I really like it. Love the water effect, nice and simple.

Thank you very much for this compliment.

Edited by kabel

Cool scene! I really love the foliage and the snotted stream. Nice details and it looks very busy which is great.

I do would suggest to built the side of the facade a bit aswell. In the first picture you can clearly see that it is just the front, maybe you can close the two studs side, I think it would make it even better.

Nice one! Love all the details and all the different stories about the people in the slums!

I do would suggest to built the side of the facade a bit aswell. In the first picture you can clearly see that it is just the front, maybe you can close the two studs side, I think it would make it even better.

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I thought about that too. And I guess it would have made sense. However, the brigde was meant as a crosscut, and so I ended up like this. But right, it does look kinda silly like this!

Nice one! Love all the details and all the different stories about the people in the slums!

Thank you DG. Looking at it, I even thought of more stories. The problem is that once I get done building I'm usually way too impatient to have it sitting at my desk another day before taking pictures :classic:

Nice build! I really like the whole scene along the river bank, and so much activity going on down there. I also really like the way you've built the main building along the bank, and I agree that house-front is a great option to add a lot of character without taking up a lot of space.

Excellent entry!