EuroTrains

MOC: NSB 93

Indexed by Moderator

I have finally gotten registered after lurking for ages. I decided to show some of my work and see what people think.

This is my latest train creation, which I think is the best thing I have built. It is a 10 wide NSB 93, which is basically a 2 car Bombardier Talent.

I build trains 10 wide because I did one like that years ago as a lark, and somebody pointed out to be that it actually was to scale with the track (if you look at L gauge as 5 studs wide).

The train runs on power functions with a single M motor. About the only thing I am not proud of is the lack of an accordion between the cars.

i-662HxgD-X2.jpg

i-fb4cgg5-XL.jpg

I have some more pictures at:

http://bencon77.smug...22844&k=fb4cgg5

Apologies if the photos are lacking - this is my first time putting photos of MOCs on the web. I spent a couple of weeks trying to get a good light box together but I still feel like I could do better.

EDIT - I probably should include a picture of the real thing (people know how to use a search engine, but why make life hard):

800px-NSB_Class_93_at_Trondheim_Airport_Station.jpg

There are tons more around but I don't want to steal other people's photos. I figure stuff on Wikipedia is public domain so there you go.

Edited by TheBrickster

Very cool train :-)

I build trains 10 wide because I did one like that years ago as a lark, and somebody pointed out to be that it actually was to scale with the track (if you look at L gauge as 5 studs wide).

I've been tempted to do this too, but have resisted because I couldn't run it on my clubs layout, and I have enough trouble pulling a 7 wide train, since the carriages get so heavy.

Have you geared up the M motor, how fast does it run? My TEE still doesn't satisfy me since it's so slow, I don't need it to be as fast as LEGO sets but I would like it to look like an express train when it's running :tongue:

Very cool train :-)

I've been tempted to do this too, but have resisted because I couldn't run it on my clubs layout, and I have enough trouble pulling a 7 wide train, since the carriages get so heavy.

Have you geared up the M motor, how fast does it run? My TEE still doesn't satisfy me since it's so slow, I don't need it to be as fast as LEGO sets but I would like it to look like an express train when it's running :tongue:

Thanks!

The motor is not geared. It runs basically 1:1 with the wheels through a couple of gears. It runs at a reasonable speed but definitely slower than I remember my 12V trains doing back in the day.

The way that I built it I could add another M motor to the second car if I needed more torque. But to be honest I don't have a permanent layout and I get way more enjoyment designing and building the things rather than running them.

Your train looks superb! It looks just like the original.

Personally I think 10 wide on Lego-trains is a bit wide, but that's just my opinion.

Your model looks fantastic!

Your train looks superb! It looks just like the original.

Personally I think 10 wide on Lego-trains is a bit wide, but that's just my opinion.

Your model looks fantastic!

Thanks Henrik! Lucky you, you have probably seen this bad boy in person. Growing up in Australia and living in the US now, I don't get to see many cool trains like this.

The first few times I did 10 wide the wheels were sunk way inwards and it looked shoddy. I put up with it because I enjoyed being able to add more detail to the rest of the train.

With the power functions parts, I have basically gone the whole hog and built the things "Model Team" style. I build the bogeys almost entirely out of technic parts so that I can build realistic parts to cover over the wheels. The real trains tend to have big things like brakes and suspension bits that extend outwards from the wheels so I try to build that look in.

I need to go back to some of my older models and do this approach again. Some of them I did not pay the attention I should have to the bogeys.

Very impressive work EuroTrains! When I first read 10 Wide, I thought it would be too wide, but this looks fantastic! It's a great looking train and a very accurate recreation default_classic.gif

AWESOME train 'EuroTrains', fantastic designing there especially the front end and the detailing on the bogeys. :thumbup:

Great work 'EuroTrains' and Brick On ! :classic:

Very impressive work EuroTrains! When I first read 10 Wide, I thought it would be too wide, but this looks fantastic! It's a great looking train and a very accurate recreation default_classic.gif

Have to agree - that 10 wide looks really good in this photo...

It's huge! But very well done, looks unusually realistic for a modern Lego train - it's not easy to achieve those kinds of curves with bricks. I'm impressed :)

Now that's impressive! It looks great.

You captured the beauty of the real train really good. Especially those wheels are awesome.

And also very daring to do 10 wide. It works out well for you train.

Now that's impressive! It looks great.

You captured the beauty of the real train really good. Especially those wheels are awesome.

And also very daring to do 10 wide. It works out well for you train.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I actually have another few trains at the same scale to show you (I basically scale things at 1 stud == 300mm). Where I can I try to find good schematics that allow me to be precise about the scale.

My first couple of 10 wide trains were not super accurate scale wise, and I think that made them look slightly odd.

The first time I built 10 wide they did not have the wheels with axle holes. I think that without this part, I could not make this model as nice as it is. Certainly when powering things the lego train motors are very forceful about the distance between wheels :laugh:

I was very skeptical about power functions in trains when I first heard about it. I was till recovering from the 12V to 9V transition :classic: but now I am fully converted.

Thanks Henrik! Lucky you, you have probably seen this bad boy in person. Growing up in Australia and living in the US now, I don't get to see many cool trains like this.

While I don't agree with your opinion on the source material (it's just a modern 'plastic' DMU, and they replaced the fantastic Di3 locos) your MOC is a fantastic recreation of the original. 10 stud width looks really nice here, it feels as being totally proportional. How heavy is this thing though? One might think it's not too practical to build at 10 studs width if one wants regularly working models rather than display objects but I could be wrong of course.

Edited by Nagyzee

While I don't agree with your opinion on the source material (it's just a modern 'plastic' DMU, and they replaced the fantastic Di3 locos) your MOC is a fantastic recreation of the original. 10 stud width looks really nice here, it feels as being totally proportional. How heavy is this thing though? One might think it's not too practical to build at 10 studs width if one wants regularly working models rather than display objects but I could be wrong of course.

I would estimate each car is about twice the weight of an average 6 wide car that LEGO makes. The windows are light and it is mostly a brick box with single wide walls and plates on top and bottom.

I should make a video of the thing going at full clip. It is slower than I remember my 12 volt trains being, but not by much.

Whenever I build my trains I make a rule for myself that they need to be able to run on real track. I suspect that it probably runs the batteries flat pretty quick but you could display it.

The real pain with a 10 wide is not really powering it. It is having the room for it to run. Even if you can make it run on tight curves (most of my my 10 wide trains can, but the NSB 93 cannot because of how close the cars are together) the challenge is having room around it. Buildings have to be further away and the points have to be distant from curves because the car swings over and hits them.

I need to make a video of this thing running on real tracks, obviously. :devil:

Great looking train and nice detailing on the bogies. You're right about the scale, 9 or 10 wide is a proper width for 5-wide track. Unfortunately as Peterab already mentioned it's impossible to run it anywhere. I had an 8 wide train with carriages around 50 long and that was already a nightmare.

Looking forward to pictures of your other 10-wide trains.

Damn, that's sleek. Nice work. I'm interested to see what the performance of a 10-wide train is, particularly one powered by a single M motor.

Very nice ET. I like the streamlined design. Also, welcome to Eurobricks.

On a side note, please be aware that our image posting guidelines are 800x600 max.

In any case, thanks for sharing a most impressive build. :thumbup:

Looks really nice. The wheel detail looks really good as well. I'll have to try making some like that, I have to confess that to date I've pretty much stuck to LEGO standard for wheels.

Damn, that's sleek. Nice work. I'm interested to see what the performance of a 10-wide train is, particularly one powered by a single M motor.

By popular request, videos of this thing running on straight and curved track:

http://bencon77.smugmug.com/gallery/22983987_mdqkGj#1853339922_sThL4GD-A-LB

http://bencon77.smugmug.com/gallery/22983987_mdqkGj#1853339974_9tLxHCZ-A-LB

You can see the videos on the gallery (link here again):

http://bencon77.smugmug.com/Other/NSB-93-1375-scale/22983987_mdqkGj#!i=1853339974&k=9tLxHCZ

It does run a tad slow compared to most LEGO trains. Maybe I could stick an M motor in it.....

A nice train and a great MOC =) Long time since I have been on that train now.

Great norwegian train you have built :thumbup: It`s a nice train with a lot of details, but personal i think is little bit to large to go on LEGO tracks...