LuxorV

Batman Minifig Customisation Contest

Eurobricks Staff in co-operation with fellow Eurobricks member and contest sponsor

The Penguin is proud to announce the Batman Minifg Customisation Contest

gallery_1771_104_138572.png

The Categories

Category A - Build-a-Villain

Create a custom figure of a new villain character that will fit into Batman Universe, create a vignette for it and write a backstory for him. The custom character must be out of your own imagination. Characters already portrayed on any media will not be accepted.

Category B - Build-a-Hero

Create a custom figure of a new hero character that will fit into Batman Universe, create a vignette for it and write a backstory for him The custom character must be out of your own imagination. Characters already portrayed on any media will not be accepted.

Category C - Build-a-Gothamite

Create a custom figure of an ordinary Gothamite of any occupation, create a vignette for it and write a backstory for him. Cops, swat-guys, mobsters and such are excluded from this category.

The Rules

• Your entry must fit one of the categories above

• For the nature of this contest, no digital entries are allowed - only actual brick-built entries

• For the same reason, photo editing of the entries will be allowed only for a better presentation; no digital added decals or parts’ colour changes will be allowed

• Your entries must be at least 51% recognizable LEGO

• Entries must have a background story, a note on what inspired you in making that particular custom

• Your custom figure must be showcased in an 8x8 vignette, showing how it blends into the LEGO world

• Entries' description must include an indication of the cost of the material used to create the custom (Not including the parts used for the vignette!)

• Contestants may submit a maximum number of 5 pictures per entry, keeping in mind that a base of 4 pictures (overall vignette plus front, side and back of the figure) is required to qualify for this contest

• Entries should have a link to a picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy)

• Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels

• No webcam or phone pictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background

• Entries must be new customs. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified

• This contest is for you to show your customising abilities, therefore, you are invited to create new decals and/or paint parts as much as you wish, but you may not include in your entry any decal or other design element created by other customisers; actual custom plastic items (such as BrickArms, BrickForge and similar) are allowed, as long as you clearly refer to them in the text and you give due credit

• Clone brands’ (Oxford, Megablocks and suchlike) parts are definitely forbidden!

• Contest entries must be posted before the 25th of June 2012 12:00 GMT

• Each entrant can submit only one entry per category

• All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress

• All entries not living up to the rules on the end date will be disqualified

• Entries must be something the whole AFOLs’ community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content

• All entries will be commented 1 week before the end date by The Penguin and myself, giving guidelines on how to qualify for the vote

Entries are to be posted within the Minifig Customization Workshop and type "Batman Minifg Customisation Contest Entry – Category #" in the topic description line.

PRIZES

There will be 3 prizes per category, kindly offered by our contest sponsor and co-organiser The Penguin.

Category A - Build-a-Villain:

gallery_1771_104_227996.png

1st place - 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

2nd place - 6863 Batwing Battle Over Gotham City

3rd place - 6858 Catwoman Catcycle City Chase

Category B - Build-a-Hero:

gallery_1771_104_35639.png

1st place - 6860 The Batcave

2nd place - 6862 Superman vs. Power Armor Lex

Category C - Build-a-Gothamite:

gallery_1771_104_76591.png

1st place - 6864 The Batmobile and the Two-Face Chase

2nd place - 6862 Superman vs. Power Armor Lex

The Contest will run from today (14th of May 2012) to the 25th of June (12 GMT). This means you have 6 full weeks to work on your customs. No extensions will be given this time. Don't even ask and don't complain, you have been warned.

After the deadline, voting will be held. After the winners are declared, they will have to send their address information to The Penguin via PM within 7 days.

Have fun and start customising!

Welcome, welcome! :sweet:

We're eagerly waiting for your entries ladies and gentlemen! There are soo many talented and gifted customizers around here, so it'll be fun to see what you come up with! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Whoa this would sound like a fun competiton, to bad that I maybe don´t have time make some custom decals right now. But we will see :sweet:

Sounds like a fun contest. I'm in a mood for customizing, so I'll give it a try. I already have an idea for a villain. Looking forward to other entries, I love to see and read about new superheroes and villains! :sweet:

Awesome idea for a contest but I have a quick question. When you say Batman Universe, does that limit it to Gotham, or perhaps any of the DC cities. I have a character idea but it might be a little too bright and fun for Gotham :tongue:

Awesome idea for a contest but I have a quick question. When you say Batman Universe, does that limit it to Gotham, or perhaps any of the DC cities. I have a character idea but it might be a little too bright and fun for Gotham :tongue:

Well, let's stay Batman-Gotham focused. However if you write it in the backstory that your character came to live in Gotham from, say, Metropolis it's fine.

Gotham has many faces. Remember the 60-s Batman? :wink:

Edited by The Penguin

Forgive me if I missed it in the rules, but is there a limit to how many times a single person can enter?

Either way, cool contest! I'll definitely try to enter this one =)

Can the person be parodying an existing thing like how Mad Hatter was parodying Alice in Wonderland? (I was thinking lotr based :wub: )

Sounds fun and what brilliant prizes!

I have an idea for each category, but is a different or specialized batman armour a possible entry for the second one?

Edited by Ceroknight

Forgive me if I missed it in the rules, but is there a limit to how many times a single person can enter?

Either way, cool contest! I'll definitely try to enter this one =)

Try this:

• Each entrant can submit only one entry per category

Can the person be parodying an existing thing like how Mad Hatter was parodying Alice in Wonderland? (I was thinking lotr based :wub: )

I'll leave this one to our Gotham expert The Penguin. :wink:

I'll leave this one to our Gotham expert The Penguin. :wink:

To the Pengmobile! :grin:

Yes, if this story is, say, his obsession. I'm looking forward to this LotR-styled villain! ) :classic:

Sounds fun and what brilliant prizes!

I have an idea for each category, but is a different or specialized batman armour a possible entry for the second one?

No. It is still Batman in that case. The character must be a new character, never portrayed in any media before.

Having worked together for the earlier Batman contest last year, it was definitely a positive experience. Now, you have kindly graced upon the Eurobricks Community to once again sponsor all of the prizes and shipping for all of the 3 categories. I am extremely excited and thankful for your very kind and generous spirit. :wub:

Looking forward to see the participants gearing up for this epic contest. :thumbup:

Hi pengie and Whitefang. I was just reading through the rules and I was wondering what sort of size vignette. Is their a size or peice count limit? :sweet:

Edit

Sorry just realised it says 8x8. :thumbup:

Edited by The Joker1

I have a question. Do the minifigs for the contest have to be flesh-toned, as per the licensed theme standard? Or can they be yellow minifigs? I'm not positive which skin colour I'll use yet, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Just a question- why are no digital entries allowed? From my experience, it's just as hard, if not harder, to create a good-looking custom minifig in Blender as it is to make one in physical bricks, given the unique skill set required and the difficulties inherent in 3D work.

No. It is still Batman in that case. The character must be a new character, never portrayed in any media before.

That makes sense, thank you for clearing that up! :sweet:

So I realize this is the 'custom' minifigures area, but entries can be purist, right?

Also, could one use the same vignette for entries in all three categories, and we can use more figs than the entered one in the vig, right?

Edited by JaseTJ

I have a question. Do the minifigs for the contest have to be flesh-toned, as per the licensed theme standard? Or can they be yellow minifigs? I'm not positive which skin colour I'll use yet, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

I'd say both can be equally accepted. In the end, you could even make a randomly skin-coloured character and explain the strange tone in his background story if needed. :wink:

Just a question- why are no digital entries allowed? From my experience, it's just as hard, if not harder, to create a good-looking custom minifig in Blender as it is to make one in physical bricks, given the unique skill set required and the difficulties inherent in 3D work.

Digital entries are not allowed in the vast majority of LEGO fans' contest (excluding the LDD or LDRAW ones, of course), for the simple reason that we love these bricks and prefer people to use actual plastic to make their entries. Also consider that the prizes are actual bricks; would you prefer us to allow digital entries and be rewarded with digital prizes? :tongue:

So I realize this is the 'custom' minifigures area, but entries can be purist, right?

Also, could one use the same vignette for entries in all three categories, and we can use more figs than the entered one in the vig, right?

Purist entries are of course allowed, as long as they follow the rules about theme and so on.

On the other hand, I'd prefer you to make different vignettes for the 3 different entries/categories. More figs are allowed for the vignette, as long as you clearly state and show which is your entry one.

Well, aside from that...

Another thing I wanted to check: Do we get an overhang for the vignettes?

WHAT THE HELL!

Please, don't spam random stuff on threads.

-Sci

Please report spammers via the report button instead of replying to them.

Thanks

Hi, This looks like an awesome contest that I am sure to enter :wink: You are a very generous man The Penguin. Thanks for this contest!

Just one thing I need to clarify. I'm not to familiar w/ the Batman universe and am wondering about the Gothamite category. Is this pretty much a ordinary everyday person or do they need something special other than a back story to relate the to Gotham City?

Edited by Darth Yogi

Another thing I wanted to check: Do we get an overhang for the vignettes?

I'll leave that one to LuxorV, but as far as I'm concerned a 2 stud overhang is usually allowed?

Hi, This looks like an awesome contest that I am sure to enter :wink: You are a very generous man The Penguin. Thanks for this contest!

Just one thing I need to clarify. I'm not to familiar w/ the Batman universe and am wondering about the Gothamite category. Is this pretty much a ordinary everyday person or do they need something special other than a back story to relate the to Gotham City?

Thank you. :classic: I do it for the community and for our mutual fun.

Yep, it's just an ordinary person who lives in the demented and twisted metropolis of Gotham. ) :classic:

He sure needs to have his roots in Gotham City, but there is nothing special about them.