Sign in to follow this  
Brickington

How can we get TLG to bring Classic-Pirates back!

Hello there. As many of us probably know TLG will probably retire POTC pretty soon. What if that happens and no Pirate theme comes after it? *oh2* I want to know how we can encourage TLG to bring back Classic Pirates. Please post if you agree or have an idea. :classic:

Thank You,

Commander Law

How about a Cuusoo project like the Western Town? Some think that it'll help Lego think about bringing Old West back.

That's a way we could do it. But, I was thinking of a way through the Ambassador Program on EB.

I wouldn't worry too much. Pirates have been one of LEGO's most consistent themes, in one form or another, for almost 25 years now. I think we can be fairly certain they'll return next year, though it would be nice to get some official confirmation either way.

I wouldn't worry too much. Pirates have been one of LEGO's most consistent themes, in one form or another, for almost 25 years now. I think we can be fairly certain they'll return next year, though it would be nice to get some official confirmation either way.

But I'm suggesting it to be released this Christmas. Unless, that's to soon.

But I'm suggesting it to be released this Christmas. Unless, that's to soon.

"Next year" could mean "this Christmas" in the States, where most of the novelties of the January wave seem to be available already around Christmas. That's the earliest there could be new pirate sets; but if the rumour of Polar theme holds water, there might not be much room for pirates in the January schedule. And whether there is or not, it has been decided long ago. It does take quite a time to design and produce a Lego theme.

Edited by Haltiamieli

However, I got a feeling that TLG will not return Pirates after POTC. So, I was thinking if a Lego Ambassador could make a petition. Just an Idea. :classic:

However, I got a feeling that TLG will not return Pirates after POTC. So, I was thinking if a Lego Ambassador could make a petition. Just an Idea. :classic:

I see no reason they wouldn't return Pirates after PotC. The only complication is that we don't know when "after PotC" will be. It's quite possible that the next Pirates wave we see will correspond to the next PotC film, and if that's the case then it would probably be another year-long hiatus before the possibility of classic Pirates comes up again.

I think it's easy to understand why TLG doesn't want to release classic Pirates and PotC at the same time. As it is, notice that there haven't been two consecutive years with full waves of Pirates sets whether licensed or non-licensed in the past decade. It's similar to how TLG seems to only release a really big castle every other year. I get the idea that they only want one really big castle and one really big pirate ship on regular retail shelves every two years, probably because larger sets don't tend to sell at nearly the same rate as smaller sets and so they want to give buyers a lot of time to invest in the big sets. It's just that in the Pirates theme, they seemingly don't see much point in releasing a wave of smaller sets in between big pirate ships-- and I can't say I blame them for that either.

I don't think a petition would do much good, because I think TLG already knows what kind of demand there is for classic Pirates sets in the AFOL community. The problem is that there are probably other market forces involved in such a decision-- they probably don't want to release classic Pirates sets that will still be on store shelves when the next PotC film is released because they're worried about the two themes cannibalizing each other's sales.

A couple 'o years back I sent an email to TLC regarding new pirate sets just prior to POTC. They replied and said something along the lines of "There'll always be pirate sets on the shelf". A month later POTC was first leaked/announced.

I wouldn't worry.

Pirates was never really given a fair amount of time to grow in 2009 - POTC came along and smushed it before it could get going. But I agree with most here, we will eventually get more Pirates sets, just probably not straight away.

TLG don't need to be told to bring Pirates back - they're capable of deciding for themselves if it's a good business idea. If it is, they will, if it isn't, they won't. You probably don't need to petition something like this.

TLG don't need to be told to bring Pirates back - they're capable of deciding for themselves if it's a good business idea. If it is, they will, if it isn't, they won't. You probably don't need to petition something like this.

It never hurts for consumers to tell a company that they would like a previous product back. Nothing wrong with being proactive.

Edited by Hive

That's a way we could do it. But, I was thinking of a way through the Ambassador Program on EB.

There are two things you can do to be proactive all year round...

1. Buy as many LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean products as you possibly can to ensure sales remain high. They're still available from the Online LEGO Shop in many regions.
  2. Participate in as many official LEGO survey and Ambassador Projects as possible. The more people who respond, the more the perceived interest there will be in LEGO Pirates...

I have plans for a more grandiose Ambassador project in the future but unfortunately I don't have time for it now. So we're running a smaller Ambassador Survey in the LEGO Pirates Forum called: Build your own LEGO Pirates Animal Battle Pack.

Alternatively, if you have an idea for a more singular set, then CUUSOO could be a possible avenue... But you'd have to be very skillful to get 10,000 votes... Very skillful...