Sign in to follow this  
lisqr

Challenge 3: Demon's Pillar

After learning the wish of the High King to find the fire crystal, Lord of Lava started his own search.

Where could the fire crystal be? Such a powerful magical artifact must have some effect on the environment. Lord of Lava decides to consult his trusty friend, the Spirit of Lava.

100_1977-800.jpg

"My most trustworthy friend, tell me, is there anywhere in Nocturnus that the flow of lava is irregular or perhaps 'disturbed'." - Lord of Lava

100_1978-800.jpg

"Ah, yesssss. There is a place deep deep down below The Kelra Labyrinths. A place where the flow of lava is most peculiar. Demon's Pillar as we call it..." - the Spirit of Lava

100_1969-800.jpg

As the Spirit vanishes in the air, a vision of Demon's Pillar is left in front of Lord of Lava.

100_1980-800.jpg

The Kelra Labyrinths is a large and complex multilayer maze. To find a place deep down inside would take a large number of manpower. Quickly Lord of Lava summons a sizable group of his elite worriers, Aba, Bata, Gala... and sends them out to find the mythical fire crystal.

Aba is the first one to depart. He...

(*** Fast forward - due to lack of time and general laziness ***)

Zata finally found the fabled Demon's Pillar after months inside the Labyrinths feeding on lizards and the likes. He is equipped with the "Infinity Chain", which can extend infinitely to help him find his way around the Labyrinths.

100_1949-800.jpg

Demon's Pillar... :devil: :devil: :devil:

100_1950-800.jpg

100_1945-800.jpg

100_1962-800.jpg

100_1963-800.jpg

Zata quickly spots the Fire Crystal. It sits on top of the pillar.

100_1953-800.jpg

Zata takes out his "Infinity Chain" and climbs his way up the pillar.

100_1939-800.jpg

100_1940-800.jpg

"GROAAAAAAAAAAR!" Suddenly he heard an earth-shaking roar! A gigantic lava worm breaks out of one of the other path leading to the pillar

100_1951-800.jpg

It is truly humongous.

100_1946-800.jpg

Of course, Zata comes prepared. He swiftly grabs the fire crystal and...

100_1955-800.jpg

takes out the "Axe of Eternal Ice", which he "borrowed" from some Mitgardia "friend" :innocent2: ...

100_1960-800.jpg

The magical Axe summons large ice bolts and temporarily pins down the lava worm

100_1956-800.jpg

100_1959-800.jpg

In the meantime, Zata escapes from the dungeon and returns the fire crystal to the Lord of Lava. And the fire crystal is once again found in the land of Historia.

100_1988-800.jpg

The overall moc

100_1967-800.jpg

Update:

Pillar by itself

100_2024-800.jpg

100_2025-800.jpg

More pics on brickshelf

The main tower is loosely based on Heroes of Might and Magic 6's Inferno castle. The background maze is inspired by the abyss scene from the Japanese Anime movie Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below .

Edited by lisqr

Lovely lava waterfall :thumbup:

You brickshelf link says the folder isn't public yet.

Edited by Cara

Nice work! Looks very nocturnus pirate_thumbup.gif All the different entries into the cave look great, and the worm is fantastic!

Excellent work all around, we may need to have some words with Zata...

EDIT:

Edited picture

GoH.jpg

Edited by soccerkid6

Wow what a great entry! The best so far imo, but then again I really love black caves with lava and giant creatures! The battle scene with the ice is also well tought off. Magnificent!

Fantastic work. I love the old dark feel to it, and the black/transparent orange combo. I've also been finding how often builders get good results after being "inspired" by something they've seen. I need to start researching more to get better ideas for what to build. Anyway - brilliant stuff lisqr.

Wow, that is really impressive! I am usually not a fan of the transparent/black combo, but this MOC has totally changed my mind about it. The photography is perfect too, lots and lots of details to look at.

I like how the base of the tower seems to have so much movement, but is totally stationary. Very well done :thumbup:

Such a great entry! So much to love here, I can see that a lot of thought went into this. The black rocks are very well built as is the lava flows and guardian. A great moc that really stands out with a nice narrative tying it all together.

I really enjoyed looking this one over, an awesome entry :thumbup:

Lovely lava waterfall :thumbup:

You brickshelf link says the folder isn't public yet.

It is now. Brickshelf moderation takes time.

Fantastic work. I love the old dark feel to it, and the black/transparent orange combo. I've also been finding how often builders get good results after being "inspired" by something they've seen. I need to start researching more to get better ideas for what to build. Anyway - brilliant stuff lisqr.

I usually save images that are inspiring in a folder. Then when I build I have references to look at.

Awesome stuff !

A great Nocturnus entry, best of luck in the voting.:thumbup:

I love it ;) a lot of lava and horned-snaked-deamonic creatures in one moc, just as I like it :) You are making our guild proud ;)

You are the Lord of Lava indeed!! This entry is great and I love the fact that this stands out so much from all the other entries! Great looking guardian and that lava"water"fall is great!

Beautiful lava as always! The Nannaan'esque creatures are especially wonderful; a great blend of technic and system parts! My favorite detail, however, are the several crypt-like doors in the rock! :wub::thumbup:

Great work here lisqr and best of luck in the contest!

Beautiful lava as always! The Nannaan'esque creatures are especially wonderful; a great blend of technic and system parts! My favorite detail, however, are the several crypt-like doors in the rock! :wub::thumbup:

Great work here lisqr and best of luck in the contest!

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. You have made lava your lackey Lisqr!

Dude! That is amazing, and what's more, really captures the spirit of Nocturnus! :wub: The sense of energy in the lava flow and the giant wyrm is great, and i really like how the various scales of the windows in the rock distorts the veiewer's sense of perspective. Truly outstanding. :thumbup:

My wife wanted to see the other entries besides mine and when she saw this one she was like WOW!!! So thats coming from someone that isn't a LEGO fan... I must say that I'm really inspired by this...

Wow! That's totally amazing. So Nocturnus! I am trying not to over-comment and bump all the challenge threads, but I just had to throw in my thought about how cool this MOC is. All the lava floor and waterfall is great, but the pillar and the lava worm are amazing. BTW, what are those black technic/bionicle parts that you used to make the worm and the top of the pillar? I think you just cost me a bundle on BrickLink there... I also really like all the different doorways leading to the pit -- very creative. I wish the story was a bit more detailed, but the builds more than make up for it!

Without a doubt, one of my favorite entries. You floored me with your Embassy entry, and sadly, you've only "really impressed me" with this entry because I now expect this high of caliber from your MOCs :tongue:

The worm is one of my favorite guardians, and you've done a fantastic job with the lava, the stone archways into the cavern, the demon pillar itself is superb - It does indeed look like it's writhing and undulating.

Stunning entry!

Wow! That's totally amazing. So Nocturnus! I am trying not to over-comment and bump all the challenge threads, but I just had to throw in my thought about how cool this MOC is. All the lava floor and waterfall is great, but the pillar and the lava worm are amazing. BTW, what are those black technic/bionicle parts that you used to make the worm and the top of the pillar? I think you just cost me a bundle on BrickLink there... I also really like all the different doorways leading to the pit -- very creative. I wish the story was a bit more detailed, but the builds more than make up for it!

The piece I used on the lava worm is this piece. It wasn't too expensive at the time. I spent $25 on all of those. But it has since went up in price.

Fave. Absolutely stunning from start to finish. The maze background is outstanding. I am in awe of the skills here in all parts of the build, especially in the tower and the background. Superb presentation too. Black is back!

:classic:

Just finish taking this moc apart. I took some pic of the pillar by itself. Updated in the first post.