Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Family

MOC: Starcraft 2 Battlefield WIP

Updated: 10/5-2012

Terran units and a preview of Protoss forces further down on this side.

terranwip (1).JPG

terranwip (36).JPG

So this is what we are building on right now.

Having been a huge fan of both Starcraft 1 and 2, and havent been building a lot of spaceships and stuff out of LEGO, this was a great chance to outdo ourself.

This will first of all be the biggest build we have ever done.

Secondly it will have the biggest amount of microscale buildings and units we have ever done.

In the end it will have a battle going on between all three races: Terran / Protoss and Zergs.

For now its only the battle field we are progressing on and the terran units and structures.

Thanks for looking by and please post suggestions if you have any. :)

1_sc2wip.JPG

2_sc2wip.JPG

3_sc2wip.JPG

4_sc2wip.JPG

5_sc2wip.JPG

6_sc2wip.JPG

7_sc2wip.JPG

8_sc2wip.JPG

9_sc2wip.JPG

10_sc2wip.JPG

11_sc2wip.JPG

12_sc2wip.JPG

13_sc2wip.JPG

14_sc2wip.JPG

15_sc2wip.JPG

16_sc2wip.JPG

17_sc2wip.JPG

18_sc2wip.JPG

19_sc2wip.JPG

20_sc2wip.JPG

A few Terran structures:

Command center:

21_sc2wip.JPG

Barracks:

22_sc2wip.JPG

Ore refinaries:

23_sc2wip.JPG

Maybe a little overkill on the picture side.

Facts are: The battlefield consists of 12 plates, each 36x36 studs so the final field will be 144x108 studs.

Thanks for looking by. :)

Edited by LEGO Family

Very cool, the zoomed in shots are great. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Awaiting a 200$ bricklink order that should arrive tomorrow .. Then we are all set for the weekend. Hopefully a new WIP will be posted. Im thinking it will be mostly about Terran units and structures. Time will tell. :)

Thanks for the kind comment :)

Good start. The landscape is really coming together. The Terran camp is shaping up great. There's a great animation on YouTube of a Starcraft battle. I believe it's called Brick Rush. Great inspiration.

Ambitious! wow!

And a fantastic idea.... I LOVED SC ...

But I don't recognize the map ? or would copying a map be TOOO geeky? :laugh:

I like the little micro city and the terrans buildings the best - and the rock work is nice.

As I look through it - I wonder if maybe it's TOO ambitious?

That's an awful lot of space you're trying to cover... maybe try building up one or two baseplates first with a terran base? then expand outwards?

In the past when I tried to build really big I find I run out of steam ... I do areas that are really cool and fantastic - then I get lazy and just fill in big spaces cause I have so much room to fill up.

Though I am very eager to see the protoss and zerg bases....

makes me want to build one too

Good start. The landscape is really coming together. The Terran camp is shaping up great. There's a great animation on YouTube of a Starcraft battle. I believe it's called Brick Rush. Great inspiration.

Yeah, ive seen that video. Its very well done ... If we had enough hours to go through with it, it would be fun to make our own stopmotion video. But for now we have no intention to since we have never done it before. We do have the hardware to pull it off. But a field this size and with around 20 units for each race it would be a huge task.

Thanks for the comment though. :)

Ambitious! wow!

And a fantastic idea.... I LOVED SC ...

But I don't recognize the map ? or would copying a map be TOOO geeky? :laugh:

I like the little micro city and the terrans buildings the best - and the rock work is nice.

As I look through it - I wonder if maybe it's TOO ambitious?

That's an awful lot of space you're trying to cover... maybe try building up one or two baseplates first with a terran base? then expand outwards?

In the past when I tried to build really big I find I run out of steam ... I do areas that are really cool and fantastic - then I get lazy and just fill in big spaces cause I have so much room to fill up.

Though I am very eager to see the protoss and zerg bases....

makes me want to build one too

Hehe ... Yeah the map is our own idea. Would be boring, imo, to just copy a map from SC2.

It is ambitious, and the biggest build we have ever done. If we run out of bricks, we will order more ( If the wife allows offcourse .. ;) .. )

For now we have a 200$ BL order incoming, and still a lot of bricks to build with. And we sort of know how we want it to look in the end ( Preparations is everything when building BIG ).

We have all Terran units ready except for a siege tank. I know how to build it, but is awaiting the bricks to do so.

We wont be making every unit available for the diffrent races, but some 4-8 diffrent kinds and some total of 20-25 for each race.

Besides the structures already shown for the Terran, we also have the Starport ( you can se it on one of the top pictures in its design phase ) and supply depots ready.

So on sunday or so, we will introduce the whole range of the Terran forces to this WIP section.

Thanks for the comment, and for sharing your thoughts on this. Much appreciated. :)

Update:

We have somewhat compleated the Terran forces. More structures might be added but only few changes as we see it right now.

We are satisfied with the units. However what the final number of units on the battlefield will be we have no clue.

Lets se if we run out of bricks.

Enjoy. :)

Introducing the Terran units and structures:

terranwip (1).JPG

The structures:

terranwip (2).JPG

Supply Depot:

terranwip (3).JPG

terranwip (4).JPG

In addition to providing supply in StarCraft II, the depot gains the ability to lower and rise from the ground. When lowered ground units may pass over it. Unlike the Perdition turret, it is not considered burrowed or hidden when lowered.

Vaspene refinery:

terranwip (5).JPG

terranwip (6).JPG

terranwip (7).JPG

A refinery is a somewhat ramshackle[1] and antiquated terran structure, designed to speed up the arduous process of the vespene gas mining on the more desolate terran worlds within the Koprulu Sector.[1] Constructed on top of a geyser, the refinery processes the raw gas into a harvestable form[2] and then automatically packages the gas into containers easily transportable by SCVs.[1]

Refineries have a core that, if damaged, can destroy the entire refinery in an explosion.[3]

Barracks:

terranwip (8).JPG

terranwip (9).JPG

The barracks is one of the most essential buildings, producing 'first-tier' units. Without other buildings, the barracks can only produce marines for 50 minerals apiece. With the academy building, the firebat can be produced for 50 minerals and 25 gas. With an academy and a science facility building with an attached covert ops add-on, the ghost can be trained for 25 minerals and 75 gas. If playing the StarCraft: Brood War expansion pack, the medic is produced here at the same cost for a firebat, and same requirements (barracks and academy). The barracks itself requires 150 minerals to be built.

Starport:

terranwip (10).JPG

terranwip (11).JPG

terranwip (12).JPG

The starport is an advanced terran structure, responsible for the construction and maintenance of all space-faring vehicles and starships. A control tower may be attached to coordinate the upgrading and construction of advanced vessels.[1]

Starports can function both terrestrially[2] and as space stations.[3] At least some feature a flight school.[4]

Command Center:

terranwip (13).JPG

terranwip (14).JPG

Command centers, or "command posts",[1] were designed to be roving resource processors for Confederate prospectors. The command center can pick up stakes and move on to new mineral or vespene deposits. They also have the ability to manufacture SCVs and serve as the return point for mining vehicles. With pressed metal plates,[2] command centers are heavily armored and sturdy, though are slow moving whilst in flight, where they are at their most vulnerable.[3]

Structurally, the command center is as wide as it is tall (3 stories), easily identifiable from a distance through its flashing beacons. Massive repulsor landing claws support the main bulk of the structure with external ablative plates reinforcing the main hull. Observation towers, antennae, sensor domes and other similar devices are situated above the center proper. Processors are also maintained to process resources, taking up the bulk of the command center's external space.[4] Command centers may be relocated using jump-jets, but must shut down all other systems to move.[1]

Terran units:

SCV:

terranwip (15).JPG

terranwip (16).JPG

SCVs can patrol, a very useful ability considering they can auto-cast repair. While multiple SCVs are able to simultaneously repair a unit/structure, only one SCV can construct a structure at a time due to reasons of balance. SCVs may repair any allied unit that is considered "mechanical" regardless if it is terran or protoss, but they can only repair terran structures. It is also the only terran unit that does not have a ranged attack

Marauder:

terranwip (17).JPG

terranwip (18).JPG

The marauder is equipped with dual grenade launchers that are effective against armored targets and slow the speed of enemy units except massive units. The marauder can only slow one opponent at a time.

The marauder is considered an early support unit, designed to pick off early game units. It is useful for slowing down fast melee units. Marauders are better off facing mixed (light/armored) enemy forces, but are especially useful against the armored roach.[9] They are also powerful against stalkers, immortals and, to a lesser extent, siege tanks and thors.[10] Marauders can destroy buildings very quickly. The marauder is vulnerable to zealots,[11] marines, and zerglings. As a general rule, a player battling zerg should build fewer marauders than usual, while against the protoss, marauders are effective, though work well with medivac dropships as a "commando force" when battling the former.[12]

Hellion:

terranwip (19).JPG

terranwip (20).JPG

terranwip (21).JPG

In use by 2490,[2] the hellion is a high-speed raider built around a lightweight four-wheel chassis. Hellions are capable of causing damage disproportionate to their size, particularly against enemy infantry, thanks to their heavy Infernal flamethrowers. Additionally, their remarkable acceleration allows for improvisational tactics in the field. Some hellion drivers will deliberately outrun their enemies only to turn and attack when they have reached maximum range. The low cost, exceptional agility, and devastating firepower of these vehicles have made them extremely popular with mercenary companies.[3]

Banshee:

terranwip (22).JPG

terranwip (23).JPG

The Banshees were heavily optimized for its intended role. Armament was limited to air-to-ground Backlash rockets. The aircraft was powered by relatively low-thrust and inexpensive turbofans capable of operating only in an atmosphere[2], or allowing the aircraft to be dropped from orbit.[3]; the engines were incapable of attaining escape velocity.[2]

Thor:

terranwip (24).JPG

terranwip (25).JPG

terranwip (26).JPG

The thor is a huge and powerful terran mechanical walker. Despite the thor being smaller than the Odin, the thor is still heavily armed and armored, and known to be one of the most heavy and powerful mechanical units in the Dominion Armed Forces.

Siege Tank:

terranwip (27).JPG

terranwip (28).JPG

terranwip (29).JPG

terranwip (30).JPG

terranwip (31).JPG

The siege tank continues to function as it did in previous games with the dual tank and artillery modes, except it doesn't require as much support as is needed in the original StarCraft. The tank cannot fire when moving, leaving the tank vulnerable to attacks by melee units. It is also highly vulnerable to air units.

The siege tank bobs slightly when it stops moving.[2]

Siege tanks are strong against marines and hydralisks, and weak against thors, immortals, and zerglings. Given its firepower, siege tanks are also popular with marines and marauders, providing artillery support for both defensive and offensive roles. When combined with the MMM combo, it is especially effective against roaches, stalkers and even deterring collosi to an extent.

Battle cruiser:

terranwip (32).JPG

terranwip (33).JPG

terranwip (34).JPG

terranwip (35).JPG

The battlecruiser fires multiple relatively low damage shots, with the anti-ground attack being more powerful than the anti-air attack. This makes the unit better able to handle groups of weaker, low armor, units. In turn, the battlecruiser's high armor makes it less susceptible to weak attacks. This makes them good against marines, hydralisks, mutalisks, and sentries. However, they are weaker against vikings, corruptors, and void rays.

The Yamato Cannon out ranges defensive structures and may be used to clear out defenses. It may also be used to soften up tougher units or thin enemy ranks quickly. This is especially useful in numbers against void rays, potentially eliminating several before they can charge up.

A preview of the Protoss forces in its design phase:

terranwip (36).JPG

terranwip (37).JPG

Next update, we thought would be a WIP of the battleground itself. However the builds of the Protoss race is flowing very nicely.

So we simply have no clue which update will reach you all first. Anyhow, thanks for looking by, and please tell what like and dislike.

Construction in progress. :D

... what an update!

WOW

:wub:

The units look great!

and the protoss buildings are gorgeous!

though I think the little Battle Ship is the best one.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this...

... what an update!

WOW

:wub:

The units look great!

and the protoss buildings are gorgeous!

though I think the little Battle Ship is the best one.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this...

Thanks.

And glad you like it also.

Im really happy with the Protoss race also.

I really wanted the Zerg race to live up to those. Thats gonna be really hard. But it aint done yet, so lets se. :)

Indeed, great update. The Terran stuff I recognized most of. I thought the SCVs were Firebats... I'm not too sure about the Protoss though. I need to play SC2 more... I do watch battles a lot on YouTube, though. I can't wait for the next update and the MOCs completion.

Very very cool. This (and the original) is one of my all-time favorite games, so seeing it realized in LEGO (by both you and others) is always a joy. You have captured the feeling of everything perfectly, if you were to present any of those MOCs to me and tell me they were from StarCraft, I'd be able to identify each of them! The terrain you've created to put them on, however, doesn't feel 100% StarCraft, which is a shame considering how great all the other models are. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but I feel it's a little bright for StarCraft, and the terrain is too varied. Perhaps instead of those pure divided area there could be more patches of them interchanged. A mix between small areas of forest scattered, along with one or two big hunks of forest. Apply the same concept to the other terrains, and you'll get a map that's not too hectic, but not too organized and without flow. Just my 2 cents. Again, great work over all and good luck with the project! :thumbup: You should build a Terran building under construction/damaged. That would be wicked cool.

Indeed, great update. The Terran stuff I recognized most of. I thought the SCVs were Firebats... I'm not too sure about the Protoss though. I need to play SC2 more... I do watch battles a lot on YouTube, though. I can't wait for the next update and the MOCs completion.

Thanks.

I can se how they could be mistaken for being firebats. Just that the drill that it looks like the SCV has on it, was imo best presented using that orange colour brick. :)

Very very cool. This (and the original) is one of my all-time favorite games, so seeing it realized in LEGO (by both you and others) is always a joy. You have captured the feeling of everything perfectly, if you were to present any of those MOCs to me and tell me they were from StarCraft, I'd be able to identify each of them! The terrain you've created to put them on, however, doesn't feel 100% StarCraft, which is a shame considering how great all the other models are. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but I feel it's a little bright for StarCraft, and the terrain is too varied. Perhaps instead of those pure divided area there could be more patches of them interchanged. A mix between small areas of forest scattered, along with one or two big hunks of forest. Apply the same concept to the other terrains, and you'll get a map that's not too hectic, but not too organized and without flow. Just my 2 cents. Again, great work over all and good luck with the project! :thumbup: You should build a Terran building under construction/damaged. That would be wicked cool.

Thanks. And as we have written ourself, we are very pleased with the outcome of the units so far.

For the battlefield, its still only some 30% done. And we really wants to capture a lot of the SC2 feel. But also all the diffrent maps into one.

I do see what you mean, but it will have a totally other feel to it after next update. Since its mostly baseplates you can se on the map now, it really doenst show any of what the final textures will look like. Also for the final build the whole of the light setup when taking the pictures will be important to get that classic SC2 feel to it.

I hope in the end we wont dissapoint, cause we really want it to represent that alltime best strategy game.

Thanks for all the thoughts and the reply. We will definately think of all this continuing on the battlefield build. :)

The Protoss figures are great. Hits the colour scheme of the original SC very well, I feel.

I tried to do a few Protoss figures myself once and experimented a lot with trans-blue elements in place of blue. Maybe I should pick that up again.