sealslip3

Hanging Sets from the Ceiling?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Has anyone tried this? I know they say its possible for planet sets, but I feel like it would be difficult with normal-sized sets. If it could work, though, it would be a great way to save space! Thoughts?

definately possible for the palnet sets, as a matter of fact, I think that those are meant for hanging.......I believe my one cousin said he hung an ARC fighter from the ceiling, I have no idea how :classic:

Not Star Wars related, but I currently have the Pharaoh Quest biplane hung and I'm planning to do the same to the Ocean Interceptor and two Pteranodons. A single string of nylon is enough for support, although attaching it to/passing it through 4 points of the model is necessary to provide balance and setting up a scene (various inclinations).

Edited by Supa

If you are intending to hang something rather big or weighty, make sure that not only is the fishing line/string strong, but that the hooks that go into the ceiling are either screwed into a part of the ceiling where the wooden joist is so its in the wooden joist, or that they are wide threaded hooks, because plasterboard (most likely what your ceiling is made of) will only take so much weight before the hooks will just pull right through.

However, if your ceiling is lathe and plaster, I'd forget going near it to hang anything from.

I have two X-Wings, Sopwith Camel and Red Baron's Fokker hanging from my ceiling which is over 50 years old. I used twine (a bit big) but it holds it up very well, just make sure that it's well balanced and it helps to have the string going through some plates. (Helps keep it in the same spot.) When attatching it to the ceiling, make sure it's going through the wooden beams, or just wrapped around them if you can remove to tiles, like mentioned above. Good luck!

I've hung X-wing, Tie fighter and the Falcon from ceiling hooks with cat gut (fishing line) with no trouble at all...make sure you cradle them properly though, if you use only a few strands it can cut into the bricks , but if you do it right it works just fine....

I hung my pirate ships, Blacksea barracuda,

Caribbean Clipper,

Brickbeard's Bounty, the recent Space Shuttle and lighter stuff like Viking creatures. What I did was make a thick beam of bricks and plates with at the end 2x2 bricks with holes and run cotton wires from the ship to the beam, I had to modify the ship slightly by strenghting the connection

. Then run two more wires from each end to the other and hang it on a big hook. The extra wires make it possible to balance the set.

Edited by Merkal

I used a hook and fishing line to hang up my airplane from the recent airport set. I just looped it under the wings and towards the nose to balance it out. Fishing line is ideal since it's not easy to see.

You most definitely can! And it is ideal for saving room. I currently have entire Rebel Fleet going against a Star destroyer and a couple of TIE's. (I've currently got another 7658 Y-wing to put up, and I plan to buy a few more TIE's soon).

Here's a couple of pics of my current setup, if you're interested.

7100073063_59d55f053b_z.jpg

Ceiling: Rebel Fleet by LegomanNZ, on Flickr

6954004856_65895daa3e_z.jpg

Ceiling: Imperial Fleet by LegomanNZ, on Flickr

See the full folder here

I just use fishing some decent line and it works well. The camera flash picks up the fishing line more than you can in person :wink:

When I was a kid my two brothers were really into Bionicle. I never really loved it, I always preferred sets with minifigs! I LOVE MINIFIGS!

Anyway, for my younger brother, my dad hung up a Bionicle set. Here's how he did it:

IMG_3626.jpg?t=1335823592

You could easily do this with any SW set.

I am thinking of hanging my republic frigate from my ceiling. Is it too big?

Nothing is too big if you use enough connection points. Hanging also allows you to turn it over so you can see the top, which is the better side. Test hang it from something like a 2x4 to see if it is too fragile so you can reinforce the set.

Now that I think about it, hanging gives you the opportunity to make some huge but awesome dioramas. Imagine a cut away scene of the Falcon and other ships escaping the Death Star in Episode 6. You'd just have to build half of the tunnel.

Edited by gotoAndLego

You most definitely can! And it is ideal for saving room. I currently have entire Rebel Fleet going against a Star destroyer and a couple of TIE's. (I've currently got another 7658 Y-wing to put up, and I plan to buy a few more TIE's soon).

What do you do about dust?

What do you do about dust?

Same thing you'd do if they were sitting in a shelf for display... canned air, I'd presume. I think a feather duster (or something equally light) could work, too.

Back on topic... I'm not enamored with the idea of hanging, personally. I think hanging upside down looks awkward, and right side up you can't see anything. Something like Slave 1 might look OK.

Clear thread from a fabric store and planter hooks from a hard store. Equals:

th_P1010067.jpg

th_P1010062.jpg