daisy

Hello from a first time lego fan

Hi!

I have been lurking here for a couple of months. I was going to wait to register until I bought my first lego set all my very own, but decided I need help in choosing it. (I see there is a thread for that elsewhere)

I am a new FAFOL. I never had any lego of my own as a kid (late 70's/80's). My big brother had all the lego in our home. Since he had so much no one saw any reason to buy me any (since I am a girl) But he didn't share very well and I never had the opportunity to just build. I remember wishing there was lego for girls. Finally 30-some years later my dream has come true, just in time for my almost 5 and almost 3 y/o daughters to fall in love with lego. :classic:

We have had regular duplo for years, but it wasn't untill my girls got the duplo bunny and cakes sets for this past Christmas that they really started playing with them. When my oldest saw the new Lego Friends she adored them, and has been playing with lego every day since she bought Stephanie's outdoor bakery.

I dug out my husbands old lego (Exxon Station and Universal 733), and we got a few more smaller friends sets. I have started building vignettes and small rooms. It is so fun to have something that I enjoy to play with my girls. (and to play with by myself after they go to bed :wink: )

Your forums seem like a lot of fun with tons of info. You have some fabulous moc's here and I really enjoy the thorough reviews.

BTW my real name is Debbie, but I chose "daisy" after the lego friends bunny my daughter got in a set for Easter. It represents the bunny duplos that peaked my girls' interest as well. I also happened to be born on Easter and rabbits are my favorite animal.

Edited by daisy

Hi Daisy, welcome to eurobricks.

Would be good if you could post some thoughts on the friends sets you buy in the town forum. I'd love a perspective from a woman buying them for a girl - often you get a male AFOL view which can be very different.

My daughter is 7 (and her name is Daisy!) and wants a friends set for her Birthday in June, so all impressions are welcome.

Hi and welcome Daisy, from a fellow AFFOL, Friends fan and mum.

My little girl will be 3 in July and she currently likes building with her Duplo and looks in awe at Mummy's Lego set collection, with the new addition of a couple of the Friends line.

I wish she was old enough that I could buy her some of her own small Friends sets, I'm very tempted but worry that she's a bit too young at the moment.

When she's older she can enjoy mine with me I guess, but only the Friends ones, all my others are strictly off limits! :sweet:

Welcome aboard. I am sure you and your daughters will have fun. My daughter is 10 and really enjoys the Creator line. She thinks Friends are OK but is too much Daddy's girl and says she hates the new Friends figs. :laugh:

BTW she has been looking through the catalogue for a set she can save up for and told us the other day she is saving for the Royal Joust. All LEGO is for girls!

BTW she has been looking through the catalogue for a set she can save up for and told us the other day she is saving for the Royal Joust. All LEGO is for girls!

Tell me about it - my 7-yr-old can't decide between olivias house and Dino attack :D

Thanks for the hello's :classic:

Oh i completely agree. :thumbup: Though all lego might not be for all girls :wink:

I will be buying myself a creator set for my birthday

My youngest daughter about 3 - only really wants friends sets if they are vehicles. I am looking forward to when she is old enough for lego spaceships and racecars. I think she will favor those.

Also my almost 5 y/o loves castles and would swoon over royal joust. Sadly she is too young, and it is a bit pricey for her savings. So i better not let her see it. Wish there were smaller castle looking sets to expand her interest beyond friends - but we have plenty of friends to buy so it is OK.

This thread makes me want to be a kid again....a little girl.... with toys.... the next go round.

We had to make our own toys growing up in such a large and impoverished family. With four brothers, our games were rough and tumbly.

So I guess this is my second childhood. I buy whatever Lego I fancy.

We already did the raising the kids thing, so when it comes to buying toys (for us now.) our motto is "Screw the kids!"

Hubby gets whatever N scale rail models he wants to build, and I select from Duplo and Lego.

SO.... Daisy.... maybe you will get that chance to buy some Lego that YOU want, and JUST for YOU!

And maybe your brother (who got all the Lego when y'all were kids) will become jealous of your collection at some point.

You deserve it, so please buy what you want.

aww..Legogal, you made me giggle. :sweet:

I will be buying lego just for me, tomorrow for my 38th birthday. I am very excited! :grin:

I am hoping to eventually build some fabulous moc's and impress my brother lol. Of course he still has access to lots of lego, as he has 4 boys ages 2 to 10 who love lego. And I generally add to their collection on Christmas. :wink:

Welcome aboard. You might recieve more Lego in the future. My little girl turning 14, gave me her Lego. I guess she is more interested in boy than toy now. :cry_sad:

Happy birthday.