Sign in to follow this  
sonicstarlight

Architecture MOC: 15 Central Park West

NOTE: As stated in the topic description, this is not a real entry to the contest. It is completely my creation, but was done as part of my job and therefore I cannot accept any prizes. Besides, it's way too huge anyway. :laugh:

Over the last 6 weeks, I had the amazing opportunity to design and build my largest LEGO creation yet. When the National Building Museum announced they were expanding their exhibit on LEGO architecture and invited Robert A.M. Stern Architects to submit a model, I jumped at the chance. There were a lot of long hours and sleepless nights as a result, but I am very happy with the end result and am honored to have something that can be enjoyed by thousands rather than just anyone who happens to be in my living room. Here are some facts and statistics:

Building Facts

Project: 15 Central Park West

Architect: Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP

Building Height: 548 ft (35 stories)

Model Facts

Scale of Model: 1” = 16’-0”

Height of Model: 36”

Number of Pieces Used: over 30,000

Time to Create: 200 hours (100 hours to design; 100 hours to build)

This model is now on display in the National Building Museum in Washington, DC as part of the expanded exhibit LEGO Architecture: Towering Ambition from now until September 3, 2012. It is in the company of 15 models by LEGO certified professional builder Adam Reed Tucker, so I did my best to create something deserving of sharing the floor with them.

With that out of the way, here are the pictures:

A shot of the original building (photo by Peter Aaron/Esto for Robert A.M. Stern Architects).

38782.jpg

Now for my take on it. Here is the Central Park West facade. I like that the two buildings read as one from this angle - the same is true in real life.

7040532803_80701508b7.jpg

A view from Broadway and W. 62nd Street. You can see the retail shopfronts and the garden terrace on the sixth floor.

6894425692_8e375fb99f.jpg

The W. 61st Street facade. Here you can see that the two buildings (the House on the right and the Tower on the left) are connected by a central pavilion off of a motor court.

6894426426_87b6a68c6f.jpg

Here is a shot between the two buildings looking the other way over the garden court. There is a health club in the lower level and the fountain in the garden doubles as a skylight to the pool below.

6894429150_c767b4e223.jpg

Thank you for looking! Feel free to ask me any questions or give me your comments!

Edit 1: Forgot to mention there are more photos on my flickr page.

Edited by sonicstarlight

Wow, this build seems like it took a great effort.

I completely like everything about it.

Im sure you will be on the top 3.

Good luck. :classic:

This is really impressive! I hope I can make it out to DC at some point to see the exhibit. So do you actually work for RAMSA?

Wow. I want your job. :wub_drool:

Hope you don't mind - I've edited your topic title a little. The idea of having 'Architecture Contest:' in the topic title is so the contest threads can be found easily by searching, so yours needs to be distinguished from the real entries. Sorry!

The model itself is very impressive! But what I really like are the details in the Garden Court. Well done.

Amazing. Absolutely stunning! You, Sir, are one of the most talented builders among us. I don my hat.

Hope you don't mind - I've edited your topic title a little. The idea of having 'Architecture Contest:' in the topic title is so the contest threads can be found easily by searching, so yours needs to be distinguished from the real entries. Sorry!

Thank you for changing the title to avoid confusion - I was really on the fence when I made the topic and I agree that this helps to make it easier to find the real entries.

This is really impressive! I hope I can make it out to DC at some point to see the exhibit. So do you actually work for RAMSA?

I do. I'm not an architect, though - I actually do marketing and business development, which is how the invite made it across my desk first. I actually brought in one of my modulars as my pitch to do this, and thankfully the powers that be were impressed enough to let me run wild.

Wow, you did a very good and accurate job.

I love how it's all tiled and smooth.

It´s certainly quite deserving. That should not be one of your worries! ;-)

Excellent build!