Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Berigora harbour - the old quarter

This is the heart of the old quarter in Berigora, where the harbourmaster's house is situated, not to mention also the best taverns and pleasure houses! There is always a mix of ppl from different provinces and even guilds here, Berigora being a popular destination for both trade and recreation. Shown here, the Harbourmaster's square is an easily recognisable and central location for new visitors to the city to meet.

berigoraharbour3eb_290312.jpg

berigoraharbour4eb_290312.jpg

The old dock is the oldest known landing point in Berigora. It is now a popular place for out-of-work sailors to find employment. He we see a ship's captain and his first mate meeting up with some prospective new crew members.

berigoraharbour6eb_290312.jpg

Some of the older buildings could use a lick of paint in areas, but that just adds to their charm! :wink: Most rooftops in Berigora have thier own gardens, space being at a premium due to being built into steep foothills at the tail end of the Raketh. Poorer buildings cultivate subsistance gardens on thier rooftops, while a mark of richer houses is to have a garden just for show.

berigoraharbour15eb_290312.jpg

The corner house is Madame Ryiah Amazi's famous "Red Star" tavern and inn. Rumour has it that she offers diversions other than accommadation and ale for a price, but this is probably just rough dockyard talk. Certainly the rumours don't originate from her extremely exclusive clientele! :wink: The walkway between the harbourmaster's house and the tavern was constructed before Eocher Meosphen's (the current harbourmaster) time, as a unobtrusive entry and exit for business guests.

berigoraharbour14eb_290312.jpg

Gardr Kegbelter, the famous beer merchant from Hykerbia, is shown here, supervising the loading of barrels of Bezerker ale into his Berigora warehouse. Some of this beer will be bound for the better establishments of Berigora, others will be sold to distributors who deliver them on throughout Kaliphlin. Gardr also has a chest of gold with him on this trip - the price of several dozen barrels of the highly regarded Siccus serpent stout to take back to Mitgardia.

berigoraharbour12eb_290312.jpg

Borakur Snarebaiter, a scout from the Clawbreaker area, has a clandestine meeting with a Raketh mountain assassin - thier network of spies and cutthroats is second to none in the region. Who knows what Borakur was after? Tracking a deserter perhaps, or seeking information on missing werewolf relics?

berigoraharbour11eb_290312.jpg

Centaurs often come into town, selling delicacies that grow only in thier region, The Valley of the Centaurs. (imaginitive name, i know!) Delicious mushrooms? Fruit out of season? Rare herbs with healing powers? Ask your local centaur vendor - odds on that they can get it for you!

berigoraharbour10eb_290312.jpg

Eocher Meosphen is the current harbourmaster in residence. Here we see him entertaining a business associate in his garden pavilion. Traditionally, the position of harbourmaster is held by a captain of independent means - Eocher Meosphen made his money in lumber and shipbuilding on the NW side of Peregrinus, and still finds time to manage his interests.

berigoraharbour8eb_290312.jpg

At the time this picture was taken, we had some distinguished guests in Berigora! Lord deGothia from Avalonia takes a walking tour with Lord Sansael during a rare state visit, whilst the lovely Amelia Phantomhive supervises the testing of one of the new rowboats she has ordered.

berigoraharbour1eb_290312.jpg

berigoraharbour2eb_290312.jpg

The view back to the square from The Rocks, a popular lookout point. Desert visitors seem to find the harbour vista especially refreshing. :classic:

berigoraharbour5eb_290312.jpg

So won't you come and visit Berigora yourself one day? Whether you are on business, after pleasure or just wishing to explore somewhere new, you are sure to find whatever your heart desires! :thumbup:

Thanks for looking peeps! :classic:

Edited by gabe

Beautiful work gabe! I love pretty much everything about this, the buildings speak for themselves. I will highlight that you have managed to fit in 30 minfigs in a totally unobtrusive and natural manner, and all of them have some interesting activity. Phenomenal!

:classic:

Robuko is dead on here! Everyone appears to be there with a purpose. The boat launch is a very cool detail added in there, and I immediately thought "is that De Gothia?" but then I saw your commentary!

Great Build, with nice details everywhere.

And maybe we got now some hot news, because we saw the Werewolf scout :devil:

Very cool, that you use my story in your build :sweet:

Edited by Hersbrucker

Awesome work gabe! So many great details: the fountain, architecture, colour blocking, etc! Great minifigure placement too.

:thumbup:

The textures on your build look great :thumbup: I like your boat launch and road up to the town a lot too. Great job on the architecture of the houses!

The textures on your build look great :thumbup: I like your boat launch and road up to the town a lot too. Great job on the architecture of the houses!

Indeed, the houses are great along with the discriptions. Also al the other details like the fountain, and all the different minifigs are very nice. And the use of the trans blue tiles in the water works great too! :classic:

Amazing! This really is amazing! So many details to be found, all the minifig-action, the choice of colours, everything!

Some things I really like are: the fountain, the fading paint job on the left building, the water and the overall clean look. Very good job!

very nice, looks like a lively little port.

I particularly like the red star tavern lots of nice details there.

Great job all around

MikeyB

great harbor, I really like all the different angles you gave your buildings. Looking extremely good. And, it's instantly reconizeable as Kaliphlin!

Woho! I can see my self in there!!! :wink::classic:

An another great build from you Gabe! So many details to love in this moc! Like the wet sand, the boat ramps, the caves under the city, the paint fading in the burning Kaliphin sun. I just love it and now I´m in to building some sort of city district! To bad that Benoic (my county back in Avalonia) don´t have any cities just farmlands and small villages! :wink: I might have to build in Albion! :classic:

What a wonderful build! I love it. The architecture is great, textures on the buildings, angles, business, small detailing in the buildings which makes them very intersting, fountain, pleasure house, floorwork, rooftiling, etc. I especially like how you manage to make four buildings that all look very different, but still match together perfectly. Well done! :thumbup:

Beautiful work gabe! I love pretty much everything about this, the buildings speak for themselves. I will highlight that you have managed to fit in 30 minfigs in a totally unobtrusive and natural manner, and all of them have some interesting activity. Phenomenal!

:classic:

Thanks Rasputin/robuko, i'm glad you like my waterfront scene! :classic: Yes, certainly populating large dioramas is not the easiest, I moved a few figs around quite a bit before i was happy with them. All the time changing my mind about the functions of the buildings behind them too! :laugh:

Robuko is dead on here! Everyone appears to be there with a purpose. The boat launch is a very cool detail added in there, and I immediately thought "is that De Gothia?" but then I saw your commentary!

Heh, yes, this is the first time i have added other ppl's sigfigs into one of my moc's - i like the way it builds ties between builders and stories and i've always wanted to try it. :classic: Thanks!

Great Build, with nice details everywhere.

And maybe we got now some hot news, because we saw the Werewolf scout :devil:

Very cool, that you use my story in your build :sweet:

Thanks Lord Darecold/Hersbrucker, i'm glad you approve of my inclusion of a clawbreaker clan member! I wanted to add at least one representitive of each guild to show the cosmapolitan nature of the harbour district, and your mob seemed like the most likely visitors, given your proximity in Nocturnus and close relationship with the nearby Mpya Stedor. :classic: I do hope that your scout found what he was looking for? :wink:

Awesome work gabe! So many great details: the fountain, architecture, colour blocking, etc! Great minifigure placement too.

:thumbup:

Many thanks for your kind words, Wahil/Basiliscus! :classic:

Thanks! I had a heap of fun building these houses - i was in full mash-up mode! :wink:

Indeed, the houses are great along with the discriptions. Also al the other details like the fountain, and all the different minifigs are very nice. And the use of the trans blue tiles in the water works great too! :classic:

Cheers Hersir Chorian/Ecclesiastes, i appreciate such kind words from such a master builder as yourself! :blush: Although one of the things i wasn't quite sure about was the water... i think i'm having a bit of a internal revolt against tiled water, it just doesn't seem... enough, or something? :sceptic: I've being tiling almost automatically for a while now with still bodies of water, but i feel i should start to explore other options...

Amazing! This really is amazing! So many details to be found, all the minifig-action, the choice of colours, everything!

Some things I really like are: the fountain, the fading paint job on the left building, the water and the overall clean look. Very good job!

Thankyou! I'm really glad you like it! :classic:

very nice, looks like a lively little port.

I particularly like the red star tavern lots of nice details there.

Great job all around

MikeyB

Thanks Lord Arlindus/MikeyB! Yeah, i've got a soft spot for the Red Star too - i've been wanting to try that jumper plate wall technique for a while now, so i was stoked to get to give it a run here. I'd been toying with the idea of turning it into an Avalonian embassy actually (since noone built an embassy in Berigora during the second challenge.. :cry_sad:), but i figured i couldn't have a dock scene without a pub! (Also, it doesn't have that compound feel to it either)

great harbor, I really like all the different angles you gave your buildings. Looking extremely good. And, it's instantly reconizeable as Kaliphlin!

Thanks Steen/Kabel, I'm glad you enjoyed my build and can see it's Kaliphlinian nature shine through the mish-mash of building styles. :wink:

Woho! I can see my self in there!!! :wink::classic:

An another great build from you Gabe! So many details to love in this moc! Like the wet sand, the boat ramps, the caves under the city, the paint fading in the burning Kaliphin sun. I just love it and now I´m in to building some sort of city district! To bad that Benoic (my county back in Avalonia) don´t have any cities just farmlands and small villages! :wink: I might have to build in Albion! :classic:

Thankyou very much Lord deGothia, we have been very honoured to have you in our fair city! I do trust you enjoyed your stay. :classic: Cities are fun to build - so much to decide, about history and how the place has evolved etc. Never a dull moment, as they say! I do look forward to seeing your Albion builds. :thumbup:

What a wonderful build! I love it. The architecture is great, textures on the buildings, angles, business, small detailing in the buildings which makes them very intersting, fountain, pleasure house, floorwork, rooftiling, etc. I especially like how you manage to make four buildings that all look very different, but still match together perfectly. Well done! :thumbup:

Thankyou for the kind words Count Balthasar! :classic: yes, the idea was very much to show how traders and visitors to the city, as well as changing tastes and of course topography, have shaped our architechture here in Berigora.

I love how you managed to include so many colors in the buildings. You have given me some ideas for my castle! Fantastic MOC!:thumbup:

I love how you managed to include so many colors in the buildings. You have given me some ideas for my castle! Fantastic MOC!:thumbup:

Thankyou Mikel, i'm stoked you like my build and have found some inspiration in it. :classic: Yes, i like colour... now that i have aquired so many different colours in my collection, it seems a shame not to utilise them! I'm still working out how to use and combine the some of the new Freinds colours (like lavender and aqua) into my palette... :wink:

Love it! So many great details. With your previous build, Berigora is turning out to be a very well built city.

What a wonderful build! Thank you for posting it. Much has been said already, I also like the fountain, the jumper wall of the tavern (I have not seen it before), and the warm colorful overall view of your harbor. It must be good to be a harbormaster... having your private access to the tavern. My personal favorite house is on the left, where the poor (because they grow apples in their gardens?) people live. It looks simple but its colors and angles and the amount of detail seems just perfect to me.

Love it! So many great details. With your previous build, Berigora is turning out to be a very well built city.

Thanks Gex/NM! Yeah, this is just the start really... i've got a lot of ideas for Berigora and Peregrinus builds (over a dozen at last count!) and i'm really excited about seeing the city and surrounding areas come to life. :classic:

What a wonderful build! Thank you for posting it. Much has been said already, I also like the fountain, the jumper wall of the tavern (I have not seen it before), and the warm colorful overall view of your harbor. It must be good to be a harbormaster... having your private access to the tavern. My personal favorite house is on the left, where the poor (because they grow apples in their gardens?) people live. It looks simple but its colors and angles and the amount of detail seems just perfect to me.

Thanks Abū Alī/Christoph! I'm glad you noticed the jumper plate wall, it's a technique i've admired and been meaning to try out for ages. Sir Nadroj used it to great effect in his amazing Nepalese house. :classic:

I especially like how you angled the walls here and there. It makes it feel more like an old city. Good job. I guess de Gothia is such a nice guy he is just showing up in everyone's MOCs!

Absolutely fantastic, there are so many things to stare at it, but the thing I love the most is the realism it has, you could expect at any moment for the minifigures to move and interact each other. :classic:

By the way deGothia is the most public figure on GoH, it has met almost everyone. :laugh:

I hope good treats and alliances comes from these. :)

I especially like how you angled the walls here and there. It makes it feel more like an old city. Good job. I guess de Gothia is such a nice guy he is just showing up in everyone's MOCs!

Thanks zcerberus, yes, angled walls was on my "must have" list for this build, although i started out vaguely imagining more of a winding lane rather than an open square - it didnt quite work out that way! I shall just have to put the hillside laneway idea back on the ideas list for now i guess ... :wink:

Yes, i agree, a bit of sturm und drang is all very well, but it's the plesant fellows who tend to get invited back for tea, no? :laugh: (It helps that his is an easy fig to put together too :wink:)

Absolutely fantastic, there are so many things to stare at it, but the thing I love the most is the realism it has, you could expect at any moment for the minifigures to move and interact each other. :classic:

By the way deGothia is the most public figure on GoH, it has met almost everyone. :laugh:

I hope good treats and alliances comes from these. :)

Thanks Niku! Yes, i hope so too! :classic:

Hehe, I´m the friendly guy who always has time for a chat! :wink:

If we had a "most travelled person in Historica" comp, you'd certainly be up there i reckon! :wink: