Sign in to follow this  
Quichybo

Shields shall no longer be broken!

Greetings!

I got many used bricks from a friend and sadly there are shields that came without a handle... would I best use the "tap-parts" as new handle?

shields.jpg

Maybe I could cut off the right (thick) part, roughen the left part with emery paper and simply glue it to the rest of the shield at the point of the original handle?

Is there a better way? Did you face these problems and how did you solve them?

And again I got a typo in the topic... it has to be "be broken"... :wacko:

Believe it or not, I read it for correction, but I didn't recognise it... my brain is just switched off. How embarrassing...

would a mod correct the topic please? :blush:

Edited by Quichybo

My (admittedly limited) experience with glue and ABS suggests you are wasting your time. The bond at right angles of such a small area of contact will barely hold itself together. The first time you try to attach it to anything like a minifig hand it will break.

Sorry, best to just find another use - perhaps glue the shields to something else as decoration or as a label for sorting bins?

Maybe if you use this part:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=42446

Cut off the part with the stud on it, glue it to the shield and then stick either the part you mentioned or the original broken handle in with glue. You will maybe have enough surface to glue with the shield and the stud gives support for the handle.

I have not tried this though.

For the round shield it might be an idea to buy a smaller round shield, e.g. the one from the chaos dwarf and glue yours on it...

Edited by Wardancer

Thank you so far!

I don't think the size of the surface would be the problem as I managed to glue an original handle to its shield (and give it to a minifig), and that surface was smaller... but that tip with the neck-bracket is really great, just in case it doesn't work!

To buy another shield just to fix the old one seems not that attractive to me as I could use the new one instead. I don't need exactly these shields, I just don't want to trash them. But on the other hand, the black falcon shield may be rare... I will keep it in mind :wink:

Edited by Quichybo

Just for the record: Though it really hurt to cut those tap-pieces, it worked perfectly in the end!

shields_restored.jpg

Edited by Quichybo

Just for the records: It worked perfectly!

Nice job I will have to try that with my broken shields. are they loose or wobbly in any way when held by a minifigure?

Edited by Rick
Please don't quote images unnecessarily

are they loose or wobbly in any way when held by a minifigure?

Not at all!

You just have to be carefull not to pull at the shield itself when you want to remove it from the minifig again but instead push the handle from the back. When attaching it to a minifig you have to push it into the hand NOT in an angle of 90 degrees (so it would make a "click") but instead push it from that rounded ending where the thick part has been. It has to be rounded (with sand paper) that it can easily slide into the hand like a train on the track. You will have to try this out before gluing it to the shield.

Edited by Quichybo

Not at all!

You just have to be carefull not to pull at the shield itself when you want to remove it from the minifig again but instead push the handle from the back. When attaching it to a minifig you have to push it into the hand NOT in an angle of 90 degrees (so it will make a "click") but instead push it from that rounded ending where the thick part has been. It has to be rounded (with sand paper) that it can easily slide into the hand like a train on the track. You will have to try this out before gluing it to the shield.

Thanks for all your help Quichybo I will try that out tonight. :classic:

I forgot to mention that I used instant glue... just a small drop. More is not always better.

And I don't know if the roughening of the glue-points was necessary or even helpful. But it worked in this case.

Thanks for getting this worked out and letting us know. I have a few shields that are broken and wouldn't mind fixing them to use again. I will have to look into this solution.

If you’re gluing on a new handle, why not just glue on the original handle?

If you’re gluing on a new handle, why not just glue on the original handle?

Greetings!

I got many used bricks from a friend and sadly there are shields that came without a handle...