wooootles

The Wasabi District

THE WASABI DISTRICT

Hey all,

I decided to make a thread where I can dump in what I've been doing to do with my (slowly) growing MOC/set collections. It will just be centered on an intersection of a main highway and a smaller road to begin with. I named it "Wasabi" because quite a few of my main female characters in online games (i.e. World of Warcraft) are named "Wasabiroll" (Likewise, male names are wooootles, +/- o's) and I decided the district may be cool with a "female" name :tongue:

UPDATED PLAN

8542948377_8203ecd747_b.jpg

Here's the plan that I posted about a year ago:

plan.png

And so far, I think I'm still on track. The one labeled "current project" is done and should be posted soon (in a separate thread). I work slow.

And now, some of the infrastructure that I started to do recently:

The road system (5-27-12 WIP): SEE THE REST ON PAGE 2!

7280886696_7f53ebf537.jpg

Roadway (5-27-12 WIP) by wooootles, on Flickr

The road system (WIP):

brick/tile built

6980448005_ea885ac2e2.jpg

Roadway (3-13-12 WIP) by wooootles, on Flickr

Technic-built American-style traffic lights

6980448005_ea885ac2e2.jpg

Fits LEGO CITY vehicles + parallel parking / bus stop space

6834319972_b42dfe51a3.jpg

6834319890_dcb7297dc5.jpg

MOC: Redbox Kiosk

Was going to do a separate post on it, but decided against it. Think I should make a few more copies and spread it around town?

6973343895_c102d68fac.jpg

Redbox Kiosk by wooootles, on Flickr

6827226868_1aff00d3fa.jpg

Redbox Kiosk by wooootles, on Flickr

----------------

I will be updating this thread whenever I get something made for infrastructure. What do you guys think? Also I'd like to see suggestions on what to add. As usual, there's more picture on my Flickr page.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by wooootles

I love that Red box, looks just like the real thing. I also love your mini scale city. The traffic lights are also spot on. :wink: All in all, great creations. :classic:

Blue Brick

Well, you're off with a bang! The street and surrounding bits are just wonderful. since the street plates are essentially one lane streets. Then, if you wanted 4 lane roads(2in each direction) the layout would be huge. I've been thinking of doing a brick built 4 lane road. Nice inspiration there.

Wonderful work so far 'wooootles', cool roadways and neat mail box is it ? :wink:

Keep it coming 'wooootles' and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks guys, thanks! :classic: Going to need a whole lot of black tile here but I think it's worth it for my little district!

Please, sir, could I have some more? :moar::excited:

I'll try to update it when I can! I was stuck between really big projects, but with my infrastructure/small MOC thread hopefully I can shame some more~

Wonderful work so far 'wooootles', cool roadways and neat mail box is it ? :wink:

Keep it coming 'wooootles' and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks! it's actually based on a vending-machine-like dvd rental kiosk found near convenience stores/pharmacy stores across the USA :laugh:

Those look like some niiiiiiice expensive road plates! I would definitely want to borrow that idea because they look awesome. The traffic lights are a nice touch. I was considering doing something in my city layout, but yours is spot on. And the redbox kiosk is very clever. Can't have enough of those!

Keep up the great work!

Those traffic lights and the kiosk are very well done, I like them. You should definitely scatter some of those kiosks around your streets.

About the roads, did you consider brick building them with snot technique instead (like in this thread)? This way you just need black/white bricks and plates, which might save you some money compared to all the tiles for your current approach. Just a thought, not sure how feasible this really is since I don't have any experience with it myself.

Those look like some niiiiiiice expensive road plates! I would definitely want to borrow that idea because they look awesome. The traffic lights are a nice touch. I was considering doing something in my city layout, but yours is spot on. And the redbox kiosk is very clever. Can't have enough of those!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I did have to increase the floor height of my MOCs to accomodate the plate-height of my roadplates, so that's something to watch for, as well, if anyone wants to try it.

Those traffic lights and the kiosk are very well done, I like them. You should definitely scatter some of those kiosks around your streets.

About the roads, did you consider brick building them with snot technique instead (like in this thread)? This way you just need black/white bricks and plates, which might save you some money compared to all the tiles for your current approach. Just a thought, not sure how feasible this really is since I don't have any experience with it myself.

A few MOCers do use that method---and I have considered it. There are other things too though that I may find harder to do on a SNOT-brick method, like putting studded broken lines (plates instead of tiles), among other things. Also, I got 1x8 tiles in bulk (as well as an uncommon-but-not-rare Pick-A-Brick appearances), so the method isn't really exorbitant as it may seem compared to other built roadplates. Thanks for bringing up the link, though!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am still waiting on shipments for more 1x8 tiles, so I still have work to do, hehe

Hi folks, just a small update...

Here's my updated view (and updated models!) of my 1:8 scale proposed layout. Of note is the (over)use of black tiles for roads.

plan1.png

1. Midtown Condominiums

2. Avenue Residences

3. WIP Fast food restaurant or coffee shop; may feature drive-thru

4. WIP LEGO store

5. Proposed Mexican Restaurant

6. small green area for a Wasabi monument

7. More apartments, might not happen

8. 5-star hotel, might happen in the distant future

The area around 1 and 2 is about done, so that's the update! Also, I have no permanent display space for these things on my house, so I have to make sure my MOCs, especially the MOC roadplates, have to be 'modular' in a way, so I can store them easily. What do you guys think?

Considering the size of your Midtown Condos and Avenue Residences, your proposed apartment building and hotel will be just huge. It'd really be a shame to not have such a fantastic scene on display all the time.

It's good that you've set aside some parkland, it will really soften the whole urban-ness of the whole scene. Many people really forget to add greenery of decent size to town setups like this, trees really do bring a town to life.

Looking forward to future updates.

Considering the size of your Midtown Condos and Avenue Residences, your proposed apartment building and hotel will be just huge. It'd really be a shame to not have such a fantastic scene on display all the time.

It's good that you've set aside some parkland, it will really soften the whole urban-ness of the whole scene. Many people really forget to add greenery of decent size to town setups like this, trees really do bring a town to life.

Looking forward to future updates.

Thanks for looking.

Reason I'm not so sure about the apartment is that I already have two fine apartment MOCs (apartments condos same thing :tongue: ). The hotel is more of a possibility, especially when I have Pick-A-Brick'd a good amount of trans-blue 1x5 bricks for windows and is just sitting in my inventory. The skyscrapers themselves can be displayed (since they would probably fit in standard 32 x X baseplate widths), just the overall layout (roadplates, park etc) won't fit easy in my place.

Oh and yes, I would love to put more greenery; it's something I had planned since I started to plan my district. If I could find more palm tree leaf pieces I'd spam those instead and make my district look more like SoCal or Miami :laugh:

Update time!

Here's my latest roadwork on my district; I have to make it more compact since I'm bringing this to Brickworld in 2 1/2 weeks, so it's not quite the same layout as I have on the front page. (The area where the bare green plates are: Future site of the 96x32 Midtown Condo and 64x32 Avenue Residences. Reworking both's sideways at the moment so they're not shown)

7280886384_12139321ca.jpg

7280886696_7f53ebf537.jpg

7280901932_8f9dbb5e05.jpg

Left-hand drive/USA style (almost). Any comments or suggestions?

your roads and the trafic lights are great. As well as the green zone between the two lanes. I always like black roads. It's a shame that in real life they turn to grey after a while. :classic:

This is going to look so good when you're done.

Wow, the roads alone are great. The quality of your work is evident even in just the streets and surrounding area. Your details are spot on. I can't wait to see these added, and by the sounds of it, huge buildings.

Thnaks guys, 'appreciate the comments.

your roads and the trafic lights are great. As well as the green zone between the two lanes. I always like black roads. It's a shame that in real life they turn to grey after a while. :classic:

And full of sinks/potholes :hmpf:

Wow, the roads alone are great. The quality of your work is evident even in just the streets and surrounding area. Your details are spot on. I can't wait to see these added, and by the sounds of it, huge buildings.

They're the ones in my sig :classic:

BRICKWORLD 2012 UPDATE

7388032432_29e7d862df.jpg

Brickworld 2012 - Thanks!!! by wooootles, on Flickr

My Midtown Condominiums-Avenue Residences tandem has been nominated for Best Individual Layout at Brickworld 2012---thanks to those who nominated and voted!

*Oh yeah, layout isn't what I had planned compared to the LDD layout on the frontpage. Not enough table space, hehe

Congratulations!

EDIT: Oops - I didn't see the small lettering saying "Nominated For"... :D

But the best of luck to you!

Edited by L@go