Sign in to follow this  
danbrownlego

Request to reissue Cafe Corner

Hi Ambassadors and other Lego fans!

What do you think about trying to get Lego to reissue the Cafe Corner set? From my Lego Collector's guide, it looks like they reissued the Galaxy Explorer set once in the 1980s after it was first released a few years earlier.

I've set up this petition to try to convince Lego to reissue Cafe Corner, please sign it if you have a minute. Also, are there other ways we could get them to reissue Cafe Corner? It's such a cool set but is selling for around $900 on eBay! Here's the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/lego-reissue-the-cafe-corner-lego-kit

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by danbrownlego

Signed!! Everyone join please, I dont even own this set yet somehow it pulled me out of my dark ages!

I'm not a fan of petitions, but if any set needs to be reissued, it's this one.

Aah, the old "Bring Café Corner back" thread :sweet:! As much as I support you intentions, this has been communicated directly to TLG by for example the Ambassadors and through different petitons before. But still - good luck :thumbup:!

Am I for them re-releaseing it the same as before. NO! But, I wouldn't have an issue with them releasing it with a new roof (color and/ or pieces) and without the Dark Blue Arch. Maybe even swap out some of the other colors and/ pieces in it. So the old one still keeps some of it's charm and market value. But, the new has place too.

I was in your shoes sometime ago. I even PMed copmike about it, aswell as Lego. Eventully, I bit the bullet and Bricklinked it, cheaper then buying it, but a pain in it's own right.

Jamie

I think a reissue is a good idea and they could even include an updated interior as the original didn't have anything.

Check out this thread on brickset - much discussion, with a final thought from none other than Jamie Berard.

So yes it might be nice, but it's not going to happen. Go go gadget Bricklink!

As great as a reissue would be for certain sets, I would prefer TLG to keep making new Modular buildings. Mostly because I started bricklinking Cafe Corner and have already spent money on pieces that I wouldn't use for anything else. I'd much rather waste my money on new sets from TLG :tongue:. But what was stated in the brickset discussion, the overall building is "iconic" since it was the start of the Modular line, but the build itself isn't anything special compared to some of the newer sets they are producing. I still love the looks of the CC, but Fire Brigade and beyond is what really started it all for me.

And yes, read the discussion post from Jamie. It helps clear things up a lot for the people who want a re-release.

What you should make a petition for is to tell all the schmucks paying these stupid prices for it to stop. You'd probably have better chance of that happening then the reissue. What it all comes down to is, "ya snooze, ya lose". While I do have all the Modulars, there's plenty I missed out on while in my Dark Days, but I'm not going to email LEGO asking for a rerelease, just going to suck it up.

If having the Cafe Corner reissued meant no new Modular, which is would, I definitely don't want to see it. Plus, while I don't collect LEGO for dollar amounts, it's nice to know I have a set like the Cafe Corner, that warrants such a price and the oh so lovely envy in new AFOLs. :tongue:

Check out this thread on brickset - much discussion, with a final thought from none other than Jamie Berard.

So yes it might be nice, but it's not going to happen. Go go gadget Bricklink!

The post by Jamie: (So people don't have to scroll and search)

I normally don't chime in, but after reading three pages of discussion I can't help but comment on a few things.

First, thank you to everyone who has supported the modular line over the years. I'm psyched that we were just able to release our 7th building! Hopefully sales will continue to stay strong so we can continue to grow and evolve the concept.

In regards to re-releases, we have considered them many times over the past several years. We learned a lot from the LEGO Legends line. First and foremost is that fans' memories are extremely difficult to match with original products. Those sets which were exact re-releases, for some reason seemed smaller, less detailed or somehow not quite as grandiose as remembered. Compared with current sets, the price value also seemed to be lacking. Sets with substitution bricks were blasted as not being authentic enough and somehow not true to the original masterpiece. In the end, more fans spoke of wanting re-releases than those who actually purchased them.

Speaking of substitution elements, the Cafe Corner could not be re-released again today without a reasonable amount of reworking and substitution elements. Our bricks are constantly evolving and improving which can cause issues when trying to stay true to an original design. For example, we no longer have the molds for the doors which were used for both the corner and side door. Our substitution options for these doors would be 1 brick taller which would affect the look and build of the entire set. The wall elements used in the mid-floor now have extra support structures which look slightly different than the originals. Our 1x6x1 arches have changed as well as several other elements.

So far all of the modular buildings with the possible exception of Market Street have lived in the market for an average of 3 years. Cafe Corner was retired with the launch of the Grand Emporium. Considering that our standard retail range usually lasts 6 months to 2 years, I believe there has been a reasonable amount of time to purchase each of the modulars.

Unfortunately this does not help those of you who missed out on the Cafe Corner and now want to buy it. As a fellow fan, I too am struggling to balance bricklink and Ebay LEGO purchases with maintaining a mortgage and relationship :)

All I can recommend is to keep your eyes open for bargains (craigslist, yard sales and word of mouth through friends) and keep up the optimism. I'm not sure I'll ever get all the sets I've always wanted...but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing...

That makes sense, might not be the greatest news but at least hopefully we will get new designs and maybe a new restaurant type modular again eventually. :classic: